October 25, 2014

'Marriage Ref' Host Tom Papa Previews Big Changes, Celebrity Guests for Season 2

by Maggie Furlong, posted Jan 14th 2011 12:15PM
Comedian Tom Papa'The Marriage Ref' wasn't exactly a ratings hit in its first season, but NBC is giving the reality show -- which revolves around celebrity panelists taking sides in the marital fights of real couples -- another shot.

Host Tom Papa reveals that season 2 (premieres Sun., March 6, 8PM ET on NBC) has some major changes though.

Instead of the celebrity panelists judging the fights based on their video submissions, the couples will actually be live in studio. It's certainly a lot harder to be snarky and mean to someone's face, which comedian Papa admitted is the reason for the update.

Also changing: Instead of the celebs having say on who's right and who's wrong, the studio audience will vote, eventually crowning one person "The Rightest." (Seeing a trend? Guess there are no wrongs this season.) The title comes with a $25,000 check and a billboard in their hometown proclaiming their right-ness.

Papa says that since they've already completed shooting all the new episodes, they have time to do a follow-up with the winners. Viewers will get to see the "Rightest" person enjoying their highway-side fame.

But the one thing that won't be changing is the random rotating couch of famous faces -- and just like season 1, they're not always people you'd expect to be judging marriages. Here's a sneak peek at who'll be stopping by:

*Ricky Gervais, who is vocally anti-marriage, although he has been with girlfriend Jane Fallon for 28 years. Gervais was featured in the show's first season as well.

*Actress Lauren Graham, who has neer been married. (When asked if he dug for details on her relationship with 'Parenthood' costar Peter Krause, Papa laughed and said, "Well we're friends, so no.")

*Actress Julianne Moore, who has two children with husband of seven years, director Bart Freundlich.

*Singer Mary J. Blige, who married her manager in 2003. (Said Papa: "She's just so nice -- and her shoes!")

Co-creator and executive producer Jerry Seinfeld is also still very involved. In fact, the show shoots in New York -- where Papa relocated his wife and two kids for the year for the sanity of his own marriage -- since that's where Seinfeld lives.

So, are you excited for more 'Marriage Ref'? Will the changes keep you watching or get you to tune in? And what celebs would you want to get marriage advice from? Sound off in the comments.

Follow Maggie on Twitter @TheTVShowGirl

buderfly25

I saw one of the billboards near my home in Indy from the winner and thought it was pretty funny.

January 16 2011 at 10:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nancy

If they got rid of that creepy host, the show wouldn't be as hard to watch. Maybe.

January 15 2011 at 9:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Diajinn

My husband and I loved this show first season. I was very funny. They always have to mess up a winning formula :( well I guess we see if it is really craptastic like most tv shows now days.

January 15 2011 at 5:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
anitem4u

All reality shows are crap so why would this one be any different.

January 15 2011 at 2:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kmjdu

I thought this show was cancelled.It is awful.The only time I'll watch it is when Ricky Gervais in on only because he's very funny.Not because of the premise.

January 15 2011 at 2:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kevinbgood621

WTF ? The show was great the way it was . Big heads at NBC ruined it by changing the day , time and skipping it all together for several weeks without much explanation .How are people supposed to watch if they don't know it's on ? The big heads who run NBC are like weather forcasters -- they get payed even when they are wrong 95 % of the time ,

January 14 2011 at 11:49 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Joseph V. fox

I love to read it, then my girlfriend. It is almost 11 years older than me. I met with three age'lessmate. nice place to browse c'om love.which ss age to give you the opportunity to make your life better and open opportunities for you to meet attractive girls..

January 14 2011 at 11:28 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
CINDY

I agree with Misrcoffe, it was good like it was when Tom had the final answer. I may watch first episode but I doubt I will like it as much as before .

January 14 2011 at 10:36 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Dw Dunphy

Craptastic.

January 14 2011 at 10:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
angelo65

One of the dumbest shows ever. Seinfeld should be embarrased to even be a part of it.

January 14 2011 at 10:01 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply