April 23, 2014

MTV's 'Skins' Cast Responds to PTC Claims (VIDEO)

by Jean Bentley, posted Jan 14th 2011 11:00AM
MTV Skins castYesterday, the Parents Television Council declared MTV's 'Skins' to be "the most dangerous show for teens."

TV Squad caught up with the young actors, who were already well aware of their newfound "dangerous" label. "In a good way we're dangerous -- dangerously in love," joked Ron Mustafaa, who plays Abbud. "We're dangerously sexy," added Danny Flaherty (Stanley).

In all seriousness, though, the teenage cast was very insistent that their hard-partying onscreen alter-egos can provide some real lessons for their peers and parents alike. "It would even be a great conversation opener," Flaherty said.

Besides, the show hasn't even premiered yet. "These parents haven't seen the show as far as I know, they've seen previews," said Rachel Thevenard (Michelle). Indeed, PTC President Tim Winter's complaint took special note of the marketing campaign, saying it "makes light of lying to parents and participating in all manner of harmful, irresponsible, illegal and adult-themed behavior."

Judge for yourself when 'Skins' premieres on Monday night at 10PM on MTV. In the meantime, watch our video to see what else the cast had to say about the PTC's statement.

Michael Ryan

I have a 17yo daughter she and I watch skins each week. It may be the most profound show on tv. Parents that say otherwise just don't get it, sadly they may be the ones that need it the most.

March 22 2011 at 12:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scriv6

More than the girl next door JWOWW on the Jersey Shore just gotta see more of her total score

WOWWEEWOWWWOWW SHE'S MY FAVORITE NOW

January 24 2011 at 11:23 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
mahogoni1979

l enjoyed it,i guess because i now the difference between entertainment and real life...cant wait to see the next episode,,DVR is set..:)

January 21 2011 at 2:35 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
George

I am totaly disgusted with MTV and that show Skins exploiting minors where are the Gardeans of these kids? I'M sorry I hope somewon with autority does something about this and I hope people go to prison for awile and think things over because I think they are all a bunch of low lifes. I wounder if any of these people have kids of there own? are they going to exploit them to.I think NOT.So get your heads out of your ...........ss and have a little dignity.

January 20 2011 at 11:07 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Denis Lara

I guess that the show is dangerous because it shows high school as this fake fantasy about everybody having sex with everybody and everybody is always high.
Dont get me wrong, I know people that did drugs and ruined their lifes, but if you teenagers watch the show and get the wrong idea that the high school is just like this stupid show, then we have a problem.

January 19 2011 at 6:45 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
gobluespartyon

Excited for US version of Skins tomorrow looks like a pretty good show. Seen UK version of the show which is pretty good makes 90210 & Gossip Girl tamed and that is what I like about Skins is that it's raw and doesn't make down from the issues. Tim Winter & PTC just don't get it that's why there prude that are out of touch with reality and support cenorship.

January 16 2011 at 8:59 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
ehmdkg

andy warhol was way ahead of his time in more than just recognizing the 15 minutes of fame factor. he did a movie about this sort of trash many moons ago. sad sad sad final vestiges of an age of excess and consumption. i agree with the parental tattletale types that we should all work to raise the sights of the young generation- after all they have to clean up the mess left by the real horror show of the baby boomers selfishness and profligate consumption- , but their PTC name calling is divisive and not really helpful.
offering help and hope and the reality of higher, self-sacrificial love, and a higher, truer, cleaner way generally is good, and merciful, because this sort of sleazy behaviour, this sort of self-indulgent era has another way of resolving that is much less pleasant...war, and the nastiness that comes with it....or conquest by folks with no sense of humor, tolerance, diversity etc....barbarians of various sorts. that is what every page of human history reports.

January 16 2011 at 6:16 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Drusilla

I wouldn't worry too much about it, I am sure the BBC version will be much more extreme than its American counterpart. The US seems to fail at most bbc remakes. Besides with shows like jersey shore and teen mom, there isnt much more damage you could do.

January 16 2011 at 5:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
HEYUILLGETU

why dont they show it backwards then! show the final results to these kids and say this is how it all happened...

cause when the final show goes off the air... wont show these kids downward spiral into METH HEADS! it will show a cute ending like always...

January 16 2011 at 4:33 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
VICKY GONZALEZ

Yes Johiney.... it's pretty awesome for adults, not impressionable immature teens. SKINS is not a new show at all,... it's been broadcast in the UK for 4 seasons on channel E4 going into their fifth season soon. MTV is just remaking it so how can the cast say they're being judged without knowledge? I'm 32 (not very old) and even I find the behavior on the UK show abhorrent! This show should not be targeting teens as their audience but rather provide entertainment for a more mature audience that won't be influenced in the same manner. It's disgusting, promiscuous, drug fueled and irresponsible to broadcast such a series on MTV. Should be rated R or in some cases NC17... not TV-MA. Personally It's quite entertaining to ME but again I repeat, I am 32 years old!! Not exactly the mushy brain of a 15-18 year old which these characters all are, and the target audience is as well.

January 16 2011 at 3:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to VICKY GONZALEZ's comment
brittchick1414

"Mushy brains"? Seriously? I'd like to see *you* do some advanced Calculus and explain the 18th century political tensions in France . When you list 15-18 year olds, you're forgetting that some of those "impressionable, immature teens" are actually legal adults. Not all minors are irresponsible. Stuff like this is already on television, so no one's seeing anything new; I just think it's rather presumptuous to assume that every teenager who watches this show will suddenly decide it's okay to run around going to parties on weekdays and doing drugs. Yes, I have seen the UK Skins, and no, I don't think it's okay to lump together a massive part of the population into one stereotype.

January 16 2011 at 4:59 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to brittchick1414's comment
ehmdkg

you will have no trouble understanding this then: specious.

January 16 2011 at 6:19 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down