August 30, 2014

'The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills' Season 1, Episode 12 Recap

by Rebecca Adler Warren, posted Jan 14th 2011 10:40AM
RHOBH['The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills' - 'Turn, Turn, Turn']

Anyone who's cracked an Us Weekly or tuned into E! knows that this was the 'Real Housewives' episode we've been waiting for all season. A peek inside the demise of a marriage, and Camille's best shot at reality TV redemption. But did getting dumped by that cad Kelsey garner sympathy for Mrs. Grammer?

You've gotta feel bummed for the woman. After 13 years of marriage Frasier pulled a Joe Jonas and called Camille in the middle of the night to tell her that their marriage was dunzo. What's worse is that he insisted she attend the Tony Awards on his arm. And Camille, like a fool, agreed to go-but only because Kelsey dangled the possibility of a romantic weekend, maybe even a reconciliation, in front of her sad, tear-choked eyes.

Either Bravo was unusually good to Camille this episode, or she was too devastated to be the self-congratulatory, shoulder-shrugging housewife we've all come to hate. I felt for Cami when she struggled to stay stoic in front of her friends and when the cameras followed her to daughter Mason's dance practice. It was hard to watch the little girl dance both because she practiced some excruciating-looking splits and because of Camille's despairing voiceover about how Kelsey's absence was affecting her kids.

Still, Camille put on a brave face and a hot red ball gown to attend the Tonys in New York. Kelsey banned Camille from their Manhattan apartment, but he did splurge to put her up in a two-story hotel suite. Camille got made up for he event and joked to her makeup artists that Kelse "may be trading me in for a newer model." Ugh.

"I think if I didn't show up people would be questioning why isn't Camille here? I'm pretty sure that's why I've been flown in," she said. "I don't think he was ready to answer those questions yet." A reasonable explanation; but why would Kelsey agree to let the Bravo cameras tag along? Does he think we can't see through him? He's not that good of an actor.

Kelsey's sliminess was on full display when he walked into Camille's room as she was trying on dresses. He leaned comfortably against a bedpost with a big smile and told her she would look beautiful in either outfit. If Camille's coy revelations to Howard Stern this week are any indication of Kelsey's extracurricular activities, the thespian was imaging how great he would look in both dresses as well.

Thanks to 'RHOBH' and her own polarizing personality, Camille has made Kelsey's transgressions seem acceptable, like leaving her was some inevitable necessity because who could be married to a woman like that? Kelsey, it turns out, is equally repulsive. They really were a good match.

Back in Beverly Hills, Kyle was preparing for a big event of her own: Her oldest daughter Farrah's graduation from college. Kyle, who never attended college, was mighty worked up over the milestone. She went to a store called XIV Karats (which employed an incredibly annoying saleswoman) to buy Farrah a graduation present, worked out with her beefy, water-withholding trainer and cursed the Hilton's for jetting off to Cannes instead of attending Farrah's big day.

Aunt Kathy made up for the oversight by sending a gift-a giant bamboo plant and a check with extra zeroes-to Farrah's graduation luncheon. We got to meet Kyle's first husband Gauraish, who she wed at 18, and Mauricio's mom, who happens to be some sort of sex therapist. The Bickersons, Adrienne and Paul, asked her for marriage advice. When Paul got antsy after 15 minutes of chitchat, he interjected to tell the woman that she could use a mini facelift. The used car salesman gene, it turns out, is also passed down to plastic surgeons.

The Best of the Rest:

• Taylor and Kyle have been bonding lately and Lisa can't stand it. "I feel like I'm at a table with a pair of lesbians," says Lisa about the new BFFs, who were holding hands at the dinner table

• Taylor wore a sweater to dinner with the word "emotion" stitched across the front. This was definitely a message to Russell, as in the man needs to get some

• "It's very hard for me to look for a gift for someone else without looking for myself at the same time," says Kyle when she's out shopping for Farrah. It turns out Taylor isn't the only one with this problem (remember the Barbie necklaces?)

• In an interview with Radio Disney, Kim reveals that she's had people name their children after her. Are we sure about this Kim? You have a fairly popular name

• "Paul and I may bicker, but that's what I think most married couples do. And guess what? That's why they give married couples a tax break," Adrienne says

• Lisa commissioned a new pinot noir for Villa Blanca. "The thing with wine tasting is that you don't swallow, you spit. It kind of goes against everything I've been taught, really," she says

• "Flats to me is like a disease," Lisa says about her ill-adivsed decision to where heels out in the vineyards

What did you guys think of the episode? Was Camille foolish or brave to attend the Tony's? Does she deserve our sympathy? And if you had the Hilton's millions would you go to graduation or jet off to Cannes?

'The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills' airs Thursdays, 10PM ET on Bravo.

kmjdu

All these people have dillusions of grandeur except for maybe Lisa.The husbands are creepy except Kyle's husband and even then....Camille deserves what she got.I have a feeling that she hasn't exactly been faithful to her wedding vows.I hope they take this show off the air.

January 15 2011 at 6:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Maduka Rajapkse

I couldn't care less for Camille, in the previous episodes she always seemed like a delusional,snotty,self-absorbed,dramatic airhead with uncountable social problems however in this episode I did feel bad for her. Kelsey is a major dipshit moron. No matter what the women is like, I don't think any man should cheat on his gf/spouse. No wonder Camille is the way she is, she has a jerkface douchelord of a husband who doesn't give her any attention but is somehow manages to manipulate her into doing what he wants! Also after 13 years of marriage I can't believe he broke up with her over the PHONE!?! WHAT.AN.ASS!!! Not to mention he was cheating on her all this time with a homewrecking *****, goodness he just gets worse and worse! If he wasn't happy with the marriage he should have stopped being such a nonmoral coward and told her up front and gotten a divorce or atleast separated before he rebounded with another 20 something gold digger! I feel bad for the kids, I can't believe he left Camille to break the news to them about the divorce, that is poor poor parenting and just goes to show how selfish he is, his kids are obviously not his first priority. SHAME SHAME SHAME!

Taylor is freakin annoying! I used to like kyle in the first few episodes but I think shes been spending a little too much time with taylor, shes started to getting a little irritating recently with her over the top reactions and dramatic attitude! Kim, I don't know why but I feel bad for her/sorry for her, she has this desperate middle aged women vibe going on and its kinda hilarious to see her talks about how 'famous and what a great actor" she was as a child. I love Lisa, her gay house guest has to go though, hes so sneaky playing with Lisa's feeling into letting him stay with them a little longer so he can mooch of them. I don't mind Adrienne, I like that shes not the dramatic gossip type. Her bickering with her husband, I don't know, sometimes it makes them seem more like siblings rather than spouses :p haha eww!

January 14 2011 at 5:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
coleenmpearson

i am ahamed to say i watch this show but it is nice to know rich people are miserable too.

January 14 2011 at 2:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wright Family

I feel sorry for Camille for many reasons. First Kelsey sounds like a first class a@@. To tell her to "grow up" when she is trying to discuss divorce OVER THE PHONE, and when he said the kids would "get over it". For Kelsey to discuss this matter over the phone and then expect Camille to break it to the kids by herself is extremely selfish and he WILL live to regret it. I mean think of what Camille could tell the kids....they may never want to see thier dad again. He is really dumb. That said...I also feel sorry for her because she obviously has a mental illness of grandios preportions. Of course this is why I watch the show....I love to watch completely dillusional women make fools of themselves. For instance I started out liking Kyle but now, after last night, she is dillusional too. I can understand being proud of your daughter for graduating college but come on....a LOT of people graduate from college and thier parents don't act like it's THIER big day. And she was acting like she had so much to do for this graduation that she was exhausted. What? So she had to send out invites, make reservations, and get her daughter a present (and spend more on herself in the process)....gruelling! Regarding the Hilton's not going....how many neices and nephews do you have? Are you going to stop your life for every one of thier graduations? I also did not care for how Kyle handled her lunch with Lisa. First Lisa should realize that a grown woman is going to have more than just you for a friend but Kyle acted like a high schooler...you could tell she was enjoying pissing Lisa off. Not a very good friend.

January 14 2011 at 1:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KRYPTONITE

I think maybe Camille does have some acting chops after all. Quite the performance last night. She still managed to get a few jabs in. I like Kelsey less but still can understand why he left the marriage. Other than that, I'm caring less and less.

January 14 2011 at 12:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply