October 22, 2014

EXCLUSIVE: 'Supernatural' Goes West, Plus More Winchester Scoop

by Maureen Ryan, posted Jan 16th 2011 1:45PM
How is the winter Hellatus going for you, 'Supernatural' fans?

Not enjoying the lack of Winchesters on your television? Well, I can't speed up the CW show's return date -- it's still coming back Jan. 28 -- but I can share some news about the drama.

I interviewed 'Supernatural' executive producer and showrunner Sera Gamble when I was in Los Angeles last week, and I'll post a long transcript of that chat closer to the show's return date. But before then, I just had to share some brain-melting intel about upcoming episodes of the show. (Spoilers ahoy.)

Here's a 'Supernatural' exclusive for you: The Winchesters will be visiting the Old West this season.

"You may see the guys in Stetsons. You may see Jared [Padalecki] on horseback. It could happen," Gamble said. "I've already talked to Jensen [Ackles] about it, he's excited about it and I think the guys are going to have a lot of fun with it."

"We've always wanted to do one," she added. "Supernatural is a Western. We've always wanted to find a way to get Sam and Dean into the Old West, at least for part of an episode, and the main obstacle was always how to do it produceably."

Fans who've hoped to see the Winchesters out West "should write a love letter to [executive producer Robert Singer] and to Jim Michaels, our line producer, and to Diane [Widas], who handles our costumes. Just to be able to do something like that on the kind of moderate television budget that we have, it's a testament to their craftiness," Gamble noted. The episode, which will probably be the eighteenth of the season, is being penned by 'Supernatural' writers Andrew Dabb and Daniel Loflin.

Gamble calls another upcoming outing "the craziest meta episode of all time." Yes, 'Supernatural' will go mega-meta in an episode called 'The French Mistake,' which airs Feb. 18 (the title of the episode will be familiar to fans of the classic comedy 'Blazing Saddles').

"We have an episode in which Sam and Dean find themselves in essentially ... to shorthand it, we'll call it a parallel world," Gamble explained. In the world in which they find themselves, "there is no magic, there is a television show called 'Supernatural' and everyone seems convinced that they are actors named Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles."

"It appears that there are actors having a psychotic break on a set and the producers don't know what to do, basically," she noted. "The dailies are fall-on-the-floor hilarious. The guys are so funny in this episode. And, you know, meta is not to everyone's taste, but I enjoy a nice slice of meta."

How meta is this? Jared Padalecki's real-life wife, Genevieve Cortese, will guest star as herself in the episode. The show's producers won't appear as themselves, but Brian Doyle-Murray will play Robert Singer, the executive producer of the show in which the brothers find themselves.

"As is completely appropriate, I am a disembodied voice on the phone," Gamble said.

Will she provide her own voice for those scenes? "I don't know. Who knows if I'm a good enough actor? I might not get the job," Gamble joked.

Will some version of 'Supernatural' creator Eric Kripke be in the episode?

"Part of the episode deals with the fact that Eric is difficult to track down," Gamble said. "Part of it deals with the fact that Eric is off in a cabin somewhere writing a movie of the week for the Syfy channel."

Here's a rundown of some of the other info I gleaned from Gamble:

* We'll see more of Castiel and the civil war in Heaven in the second half of the season. We'll also meet one of Cas' lieutenants.

* Expect to see more of the angel Balthazar, who's played by Sebastian Roche. "Balthazar causes some serious, hilarious problems because he just does stuff for the [hell] of it, basically," Gamble said.

* Rufus, one of my favorite recurring characters, will return in season 6.

* We'll see Ben and Lisa again before the season ends.

* We'll see Samuel again in the Feb. 4 episode of the show, which will flashback to when Sam was hunting with Samuel.

* The photos on this post come from the Jan. 28 episode, 'Like a Virgin.'

Again, look for that interview transcript around Jan. 27. In it, Gamble will talk about the season as a whole and the writers' approach to exploring the Winchesters' post-Apocalypse world. And of course, I'll continue recapping the show each week when season 6 resumes.

Follow @MoRyan on Twitter.

Debra

I'm surprised that so many people did not understand that Sera had ALREADY talked Jensen into the cowboy character, and she finally did so with Jared. She said Jensen was so excited about it. Read carefully, and you won't get so worked up about things.

By the way, Fridays episodes airs next Friday, Feb. 3rd I think.

January 28 2011 at 6:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
spn s6 rox

Oh cool, western episode and a horse riding Sam!! What more a Sam girl would want!!! Glad we're finally getting some Sam centric season, Sera Gamble simply rox. Some people don't care about Sam....ppfft.... you don't have to; we love Sam and Dean both....brother haters suck. Need more more and morrree Sam episodes, Sera, you rock!!!

January 18 2011 at 3:26 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
buster44

Really looking forward to the meta episode! I think Supernatural is at its best when it takes itself less seriously than the fans do!

I'm shocked at all the Ben-Lisa dislike expressed here. To me, these characters provided Dean an opportunity to grow and mature. Having some time to enjoy a "normal" life expanded and deepened his character and also gave him yet another reason to fight the good fight when necessary.

On a lighter note, i love the mental image of Kripke writing a Syfy original! I hope he never has to sink to that level of mediocrity! :P

January 17 2011 at 5:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cas Dmitri Ryan

i agree with debby houston get rid of these boring characters get sam and dean back on track and give us some classic rock =)

January 17 2011 at 4:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cjjohnson50

I think singling out Jared as being on horseback is some kind of in-joke. I can't believe they would have a western episode w/o having Jensen on horseback, too-especially as his fandom has wanted this forever. Love Lisa and Ben. And even if it's a good-bye ep. for them I can't wait to see it. And I hope there will be more interaction between Dean and Ben as Jensen + kids always = LOVE!

January 17 2011 at 7:35 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Ritzsammy

Whoa, can't wait to see Sam riding a horse!! That's gonna be soo sexy. And I seriously don't want to see Lisa and Ben, they are most boring characters ever...glad Dean left them. SPN's Sam and Dean show, it doesn't need useless characters like Lisa and whoever. Sam and Dean rock...................... Oh..cowboy Sam...... can't wait to that smoking hawt horse riding sexy younger brother ~c(-:

January 17 2011 at 3:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
J Fost

So much for the promise to tone down on the meta crap. Sera Gamble should be forced to sit in a screening room and watch every episode of Seasons 1 and 2 over and over and over until she GETS it. No potty breaks.

January 17 2011 at 2:02 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
jjjanet1000

Yay - more Castiel! Rufus! Meta! Also glad to see Sebastian Roche will be back as Balthazar - I've found his portrayal intriguing. But is there any faint glimmer of hope that maybe the writers might bring back Richard Speight Jr. as Gabriel?

Thanks for doing the interview & writing & posting it during this awful hellatus.

January 16 2011 at 11:56 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
missyjack

Thanks for the interview Mo -wonderful teasers! I think Gamble has done a briliant job of taking Supernatural on this new arc. In her first year as showrunner she could've chosen a safe route, but its great to see her continuing with the show's tradition of genre breaking episodes. And how they do it on such a tiny budget is a testament to the team. Kudos too to Sera as one of the few female showrunners in town. Glad that it looks like she'll get another season at the helm of Supernatural.

January 16 2011 at 6:13 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
witch

I like that they're bringing Lisa and Ben back! I wish Dean would mend some bridges and become part of their life again!
And Sam riding a horse sounds almost too good to be true!

January 16 2011 at 4:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply