July 30, 2014

'Life Unexpected' Series Finale: Were You Satisfied?

by Jean Bentley, posted Jan 19th 2011 10:15AM
Life UnexpectedLast night, The CW aired what is likely (but not officially) the series finale of 'Life Unexpected.' While the family drama was full of throwback WB charm, it failed to connect with enough viewers to keep it on the air.

In the two-hour episode, the series wrapped up all of its loose ends in a giant bow fit for a Christmas car commercial. But you know what? It was satisfying to find out what happened to the characters we'd grown to know and love. The ending wasn't all happy, but it sure was neat. Guess that's what happens when you know how much time you have left.

First things first, we had to dispose of Mr. Daniels. Obviously Lux couldn't ride off into the sunset with him -- no matter how cute he is, a teacher dating a 16-year-old is just wrong. Lux didn't take it well when Cate and Baze forced Eric to quit and move out of Portland, but she seemed to give up the fight pretty quickly. Best/saddest part: swinging a shower curtain really hard just doesn't have the same effect as slamming a door.

In other s--- hitting the fan news, Lux spilled the beans about Emma and Baze's dad. As hard as Baze tried to forgive Emma for the secret affair, he just couldn't. Especially since she wasn't planning on telling him the truth (she said something like "there is no appropriate time to tell your boyfriend you used to sleep with his father" -- truer words have never been spoken, Emma). The main casualty in all this: Emma's son, who finally opened up and began to trust Baze.

Lux began to trust Jones, especially when he opened up about his mom being bipolar. See, Lux? Even cute blonde jocks have problems. Maybe you should stop whining so much and realize how much you have now.

Sadly, Cate and Ryan lost their baby and Cate found out she wasn't able to have children. While at the doctor, she ran into a very pregnant Julia -- turns out she actually was pregnant.

Flash forward two years, where Lux was giving a graduation speech to the class of 2012. When we peeked into the audience, it was almost like the end of 'The Wizard of Oz' -- you were there, and you, and you and you.

Julia was there with her baby and a smiling Ryan. Cate was sitting between her (former?) hubby and Baze, who was next to a pregnant and married Alice (the radio producer from the first season played by Erin Karpluk, who is the best! Everyone should watch 'Being Erica'!). I assumed she and Baze got together and Cate was happy by herself, but nope -- at the end, we found out Alice was actually married to Math. (He finally got a girl! And a cute one at that!)

So who did Cate end up with? Baze, her soul mate whom she just happened to accidentally have a baby with in high school. My takeaway from this is that if you're 16 and pregnant, you will eventually end up with your impossibly attractive but slightly immature babydaddy 18 years later. Just kidding. I'm a sucker for happy endings, and I don't think this feel-good show could've ended any better for fans. It was a rare satisfying ending for a show canceled too soon.

Tell us: Were you happy with the 'Life Unexpected' finale?

Raven Abbott

just finished watching the series finale and while yes a lot of questions I think they should have done at least one more episode. That was just far too much to fit into one episode my head is spinning with everything that happened. They at least should have went back and did a made for TV movie or something to fill us in on the two years we missed. The writers should totally give the fans wat they want and tell us wat they had plannd just so we know.

November 30 2011 at 3:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Raven Abbott's comment
Raven Abbott

*questions were answered. I think.......*

November 30 2011 at 3:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Monique Esplin

Honestly I found the ending to be rather lazy! They could've had another season from there. Instead they hastily ended it by going two years in the future. Not a good ending in my mind. I would like to give them a piece of my mind! I was IN LOVE with this show! Now, it's over. Someone tell them how to make a successful television series!
Sincerely a very angry viewer!

November 15 2011 at 5:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
katren77

Grr! I could kick myself for waiting until this show came out on Netflix before watching it. I even saw the promos before it started and wanted to. I didn't and now I feel the guilt that maybe that one extra veiwer could have brought them back for another season instead of them hi-jacking two whole years from us with that craptastic ending. Yes, they tied up loose ends. Yes, hooray that Cate and Baze got together. Yes, we are happy about Lux and Jones. But damn, I feel robbed not knowing the amazingly painstaking stories that got them there.

November 10 2011 at 1:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
igetwhatiwnt

I just found this show on Netflix also and I can't believe it has been cancelled. I loved every moment of it and couldn't stop watching, I was hoping it was still coming on so I could start where things left off since I was finally caught up. I hate they cancelled this like some of the others that has been cancelled like Hawthorne. I also wanted cate to be with Ryan bc they were cute together and not all parents have to be together. Oh well hopefully CW and the producers actually change their minds after seeing that many actually liked the show.

October 03 2011 at 9:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
babydoll

am i the only person on this planet that wanted ryan and cate together and not the other way around i just discovered this show on netflix and i couldnt stop watching it at all! then not to metion the fact that i didnt even know it was canceled until i just googled it :l this is very deppressing to me

September 28 2011 at 1:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alejandra

In a way I was happy how it ended but you know what all that happened within 2 hours should have been in few more episodes. I loved this show, it was a show my daughter and me can sit together and watch it and talk bout it later in the week and waiting anxiously for the next episode. It is so sad it cancelled and it was a great show. I loved every single person in the show figured the ending would be sort a like this except Alice marrying Math. Cute couple ;o)

May 21 2011 at 2:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sunflr00

am so happy the way it end. i always knew kate and blaze get together. i hope it another season comming.

March 10 2011 at 8:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Modest Complexity

Great episode, I really wish this wasn't the end...kinda bummed actually about the fast forward of 2 years at the end, maybe without that there was a chance another network could pick up the show and continue it?

Anyway the rest of the ending was great. I especially loved that scene where Sam calls Lux out about sleeping with a teacher, and she turns it on him letting him know that his mom is going to move in with Baze...also loved the song they used, I had to search to find out it's "Anything Goes" by Charlie Calleja. FYI you can watch that scene at http://vimeo.com/19149804

January 26 2011 at 9:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
racey1010

Like many of you, I didn't know I was watching the series finale until they hit ff two years. I kept waiting for someone to wake up and jolt the show back to its melodramatics. I have followed the show over both seasons, but I was getting a little bored and frustrated of the whiplash twists and turns 'round every corner. I mean, can nothing go decently? Forget fairytale endings, but the way this show was going eventually there would be some sort of hostage negotiation scene where at least one parent figure ends up on the chopping block! It was just getting too tense too much of the time with so little in the way of follow up.

While I could have lived with a season finale rather than the end of the series, let's face it, the writers tied up every loose end in the happy-go-luckiest way possible. And though it may have seemed like a perfect ending, over two years a lot can happen. We would've had to watch while Cate and Ryan went through a heart-wrenching divorce. Ugh. We'd have to get to know Julie. Meh. Cate and Baze would've had to reconnect, probably first as mutual rebounds. Then they would've both freaked out. Then somehow everyone would've been involved in their bid-ness making them (along with us) crazy. And then finally, maybe at the end of season 3, they'd realize they love each other, flaws, marred history and all and BAM! Everything we just saw happen, drawn out. Painfully.

The Eric Daniels situation wasn't handled as well as I thought it could've been, but they always showed him as being conflicted by his feelings for young Lux. As for Tasha and Jones, they weren't ever really developed as a couple and I'm sure many of us thought Lux would end up with Jones, or if a season 3 was on the horizon (forgoing the 2 year speed warp), that Lux might end up with Sam, which may have dragged Emma back into the picture. And here we go 'round again!

So, in the end we were left with very few what ifs. I won't be "on-the-edge-of-my-seat" for months wondering if things will finally start working out for these poor folks, who seemed to keep hitting every branch on the way down the unlucky tree. Personally, I am thankful for that.

January 24 2011 at 3:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
deb373

I, just like others didn't know the series was ending until they fast forwarded the show 2 years. I really felt sad and jipped that the show would not continue. I loved all of the characters and the actors did a great job!! The ending was pretty good but couldn't really enjoy it knowing that the show was ending. I hope the actress who played Lux will be seen again. Goodbye, Life Unexpected! Your show was an "Unexpected" pleasure to watch!! Too many good shows get canceled!!!

January 23 2011 at 8:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply