April 25, 2014

Keith Olbermann Leaves MSNBC

by Harley W. Lond, posted Jan 21st 2011 9:41PM
Keith OlbermannKeith Olbermann has left MSNBC, anchoring his last 'Countdown With Keith Olbermann' on the news network Friday evening. Watch video of Olbermann's announcement below.

Following his exit, MSNBC released the following statement:

"MSNBC and Keith Olbermann have ended their contract. The last broadcast of Countdown with Keith Olbermann will be this evening. MSNBC thanks Keith for his integral role in MSNBC's success and we wish him well in his future endeavors."

In November Olbermann was suspended by the network for making political campaign donations. Olbermann made donations to Democratic House Representatives Raul Grijalva and Gabrielle Giffords of Arizona, and to then Kentucky Senate contender Jack Conway. All three politicians previously appeared on 'Countdown.' His donations violated MSNBC policy because they were not cleared by the network.

Juggling their schedule, MSNBC further announced that "Starting Monday, January 24, 'The Last Word With Lawrence O'Donnell' will move to 8PM ET and 'The Ed Show,' hosted by Ed Schultz, will move to 10PM ET. 'The Rachel Maddow Show' will continue to air live at 9PM ET."

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Christianmike

The truth dont need support, it will always survive.

February 08 2011 at 1:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dorothy

I second fbgruss comment about why not take Matthews and Maddow with him. Good riddance to a pitiful person.
No one is more disrespectful and mean.

February 08 2011 at 12:58 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
fbgruss

He will fail again due to his message being flawed. Wish he would of taken Matthews and that lesbian wench with him.

February 08 2011 at 12:07 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
blkbuddha

Keith, Just when I thought that no one would understand how I was feeling about what was going on there was always you. I felt my frustration was given a voice.That voice was you. No matter what was going on at 8, my husband and I would watch you. I feel like I have lost a friend. No one can take your place. I respect you for your choice,but how can you go when we need you the most. I feel that the nut jobs at Fox feel like they won. I say never.I wish you joy in your life. Peace be with you, Barbara

February 01 2011 at 5:25 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
riggsdee

I thought MSNBC was smarter than to let such a gem depart. If it was Keith's choice they should have offered him anything to stay. I will miss my nightly addiction to Keith Olberman. I can't imagine that anyone could fill his shoes, to take a brilliant spokesman of the truth off the air and to allow the lying clowns on the other side to remain is an unspeakable tragedy. I'm heart broken...

January 25 2011 at 10:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gladys Orlando

Shame on you MSNBC. You will be missed Keith. Can't believe that we have people like Bill O'Reilly and Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh seding the horrible messages they send and someone as intelligent and articulate as Keith Olberman is off the air. MSNBC YOUR RATINGS WILL SUFFER FOR THIS.

January 25 2011 at 2:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Gladys Orlando's comment
stvieeee

OMG are you kidding me!!!!! Keith I will not miss you at bit.

February 08 2011 at 11:59 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Gladys Orlando

The best show in MSNBC. You will be missed Keith. I still don't understand how they could do this to the best rated show in their network. Very big mistake. Can't believe we have maniacs like Bill O'Reilly and Glenn Beck on the air and someone smart & intelligent is not. Shame on you MSNBC, your ratings will suffer.

January 25 2011 at 2:48 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
ellieleonin

Good luck Keith! I will miss your honesty and wisdom. Most of all, I will miss "The Worst Person in the World" (whom we all know is Billo the Clown). Too bad it wasn't him that left.

January 24 2011 at 7:46 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
djonian

He didnt get fired because of any "corporate conspiracy" or because of his political contributions......he got fired because MSNBC & "Countdown" routinely, night after night after night, got crushed in the ratings by FOX NEWS & Bill O'Reilly & The Factor. Why? Because Olbermann had ZERO objectivity. None. He was a puppet for the far left & his "news casts" were 100% liberal agenda driven....all you had to do was watch his "special editorial" on the Tucson shooting and his eagerness to politicize that tragedy to know he was in the tank & bought & paid for by the Left. Seriously, what is the difference between Haddow & Olbermann? There is none! But there should be....especially when presenting the news. The equivalent would be to have Hannity deliver the news at Fox. They're not that stupid at Fox. You may or may not like O'Reilly or his views, but atleast he hammers EVERYBODY regardless of political party. Can you say that about Olbermann? Nope. Can you say that about Hannity? Nope. See my point? The reason Fox, despite their conservative slant, still crushes MSNBC in every aspect is because Fox doesnt arrogantly attempt to marginalize the opposing view. Democrats get equal time & the liberal lineup consists of people who can and do bring solid analysis to the viewer.....does the GOP get the same at MSNBC? Nope, not even close!! So the "independent" viewer already knows they'll get fed nothing but the liberal line at MSNBC...whereas at Fox they'll get both so they tune in there. I think Olbermann leaving is a good thing for MSNBC and gives them a chance to bring more credibility & less ideology to their newscasts.

January 24 2011 at 5:47 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
nvd59

I doubt if I watch MSNBC again. He was the only anchor that I watched anyway. He told the truth but I bet if he lied daily such as O'Riley, Rush or Beck he would still be employed. It just seems to me that that lies and fear have become the American way of life. Thank God Keith would not sink to their level and for this he was dismissed.He will be missed.

January 24 2011 at 3:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply