September 2, 2014

Best and Worst Infomercials on TV Right Now

by Bob Sassone, posted Jan 30th 2011 11:00AM
Chaz DeanWhat exactly makes for a "good" infomercial? Aren't most infomercials "bad," even if the product is good? And bad products are sometimes showcased in highly entertaining infomercials. In fact, an entertaining infomercial is better than a really unfunny sitcom.

All that makes choosing the best and worst infomercials a little tricky. So this is a list of infomercials that are running right now, with their good points and bad points. There isn't a "best" list and a "worst" list, they're all a "best and worst."

(Note: some of these infomercials might not be "new" as in recently made or recently premiered, but they have all aired recently.)

1. Living Well with Montel Williams. Montel Williams commanded respect once ... for 45 minutes about 10 years ago. But now he's doing stuff like this.

I don't what my favorite aspect of this video highlight reel below is, the fact that "psychic" Sylvia Browne shows up to make predictions for members of the audience (and make a smoothie!) or the kid who looks like he wants to crawl under a bed and hide instead of sitting in front of an audience talking to Montel Williams about lettuce.

2. Redi-Set-Go Express. I love watching anything Cathy Mitchell is in. She comes across as your mom or grandmother, calmly showing you new, quick ways to cook your favorite foods. At the same time, she looks like she'd really make you cry if you dared to suggest she cook the food any other way (for example, telling her that when you make a pizza the pepperoni goes on top of the cheese not the sauce).

Like most food-related infomercials, this one features a guy who gets all orgasmic over anything the cook makes. She could have thrown Triscuits, mashed potatoes, and chocolate into the Redi Set Go and he would have declared it the best Triscuit, mashed potatoes and chocolate thing he's ever had! Just like a fancy restaurant!

I actually want one of these things, though if you "don't have time in your busy lives to wait for food," you're probably living your life wrong.

3. Wen By Chaz Dean. This guy looks like a Vegas magician -- David Copperfield meets Fabio -- but the only thing he makes disappear is bad hair!

A lot of celebrities use the Wen line of products. Here he is being interviewed by Laura Ingalls. (The line is called "WEN" because it's "NEW" backwards.)

By the way, "Chaz Dean" is the most awesome name I've heard on TV since Greg Brady became Johnny Bravo.

Bonus! These aren't long-form infomercials, but they're commercials for products that really should have their own infomercials:

Pajama Jeans. This combo of jeans and pajamas -- the combo no one in the world was waiting for -- has been parodied and dumped on so many times there's really nothing to add, except...no, there's nothing more to say. Just watch it.

Boom-A-Ring. WARNING: IF YOU LIKE THE CHRISTMAS TUNE 'JINGLE BELLS,' YOU WILL BE DRIVEN MAD BY WATCHING THE VIDEO BELOW. VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED.

I'm all for using landlines instead of cell phones, but it seems a little much that you're expected to not only carry your cell phone around with you but also this second phone adapter thing.

Bark Off. Who knows if this product even works. You certainly can't tell from the commercial because, well, the sound is silent. Watch how the dogs seem to be looking at off-camera commands and not even paying attention to the Bark Off.

Couch Commander. I don't know about your couch, but when I sit on mine, all of the cushions move a bit, so this couch drink and food holder probably wouldn't work as well as it does in this ad.

And why are people in infomercials so darn clumsy? Maybe these people should take the money they're spending on these products and go to their doctor for some neurological tests instead. There's something wrong with them.

What's your favorite/least favorite infomercial currently running? Have you ever bought any of these products?

[Follow Bob on Twitter.]

Jess Fong

These are pretttty good, but i've totally seen funnier! I have a ton of better ones on my channel, I dedicated this channel to stupid infomercials and commercials. Check THESE out you won't regret these ones, they better!

shortform.com/jessfong

:D

February 16 2011 at 11:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hello Nathaniel

I really don't understand the phone thing. A lot of these things (Couch Commander) are pointless, but with the phone thing, it's like you're going backwards into outdated technology. Also, you know how stupid you would look if you used that in public?

February 06 2011 at 10:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KELLI

I bought the BARK OFF. All I have to say about it is.......DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!!!!! I actually got one "free". I set both of them side by side and my 2 small dogs just look at me like it is a huge joke! Even I can hear the high pitched frequency that is supposed to be silent. It does nothing to deter dogs from barking.

February 06 2011 at 5:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin

I love America... I hate americans.

February 06 2011 at 4:32 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Justin's comment
jglalone

Just because you left us here in the US to go to Canada for school........then you fell in love? I am teasing, can't blame you!

February 06 2011 at 6:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scale Dude

Y

February 06 2011 at 8:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Judy

I like the one with the insizer, the fancy curling iron that makes the most unruly and frizzy hair silky smooth. They sould have Adam Sandler in it . I always wanted one,but I just can't see paying a hundred dollars for it. I thought maybe after it went to Walmart or Walgreens, like most of the products do, the price would reduce, so far it has'nt and I.m still waiting.

February 06 2011 at 3:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mesager42

I am into organic shampoos and soaps that don't harm the environment. WEN contains tetrasodium EDTA that is not good for humans, nor the environment, even though it is used as a preservative / water softener in many beauty products and household cleaners. Why spend a ton of money using a product that is bad for the environment when you can spend less, and help the earth too? Tetrasodium EDTA is used in so many products that it has been found to be one of the most frequently found toxic chemicals in our water supply.

February 06 2011 at 3:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Denise

Yeah, but the concept is amusing. I think we should all make an infomercial about how stupid infomerials are.

February 06 2011 at 2:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

ZING!

February 06 2011 at 4:32 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down
Scale Dude

one s

February 06 2011 at 8:46 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down
Mg

I can't believe anyone watches any of this commercial crap.

February 06 2011 at 2:21 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Mg

I can't believe anyone watches any of this commercial crap.

February 06 2011 at 2:21 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Mg's comment
Justin

I can't believe you still use AIM.

February 06 2011 at 4:34 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply