October 31, 2014

'Dallas' Reboot: Josh Henderson Signs Up, Plus Original Stars Hagman, Gray and Duffy

by Catherine Lawson, posted Feb 2nd 2011 8:25AM
Josh HendersonMaybe in the end it will all turn out to have been nothing but a weird dream, but for now it looks like it's time to dust off those sequinned shoulder pads and get ready for The Oil Barons' Ball: The much-hyped 'Dallas' reboot is a "Go."

With new casting updates comes news that the rebooted 'Dallas' will contain some classic elements: Love triangles, betrayals, family clashes and, finally, Mr. J.R. Ewing himself.

According to deadline.com, 'Desperate Housewives' alum Josh Henderson has signed on to play J.R. and Su Ellen's son, John Ross. Producers say that the new drama will focus on the next generation of the Ewing dynasty as they squabble over power, money and women.

However, the old Southfork guard will still be scheming in the background: TNT has confirmed that the trio at the center of the original series, Larry Hagman (J.R.), Linda Gray (Su Ellen) and Patrick Duffy (Bobby) will all be returning.

Hagman shot to megastardom in the 1980s playing the pivotal role of the scheming, villainous oil baron J.R. Ewing, and had said he was keen to return to the role. However, the future of the new series was put in doubt after pay negotiations with the actor carried on for months without a deal. While Hagman was holding out execs even went so far as to devise a version in which J.R. was shown only in flashbacks from the original series.

Producers have revealed a plot twist for the pilot episode that mirrors the bitter sibling rivalry between J.R. and his younger brother Bobby. Henderson's character, John Ross, will become entangled in a love triangle with Bobby's son -- his cousin Christopher -- and a woman named Elena. Jordana Brewster has already signed on to play Elena, but the part of Christopher has yet to be cast.

Michael M. Robin ('The Closer') is attached to exec-produce and direct the pilot episode, but so far there's been no word on when it will air.

monstertrucktoy

I'm totally psyched!

July 09 2011 at 10:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
monstertrucktoy

I'm totally psyched!!

July 09 2011 at 10:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

dcnashinsc -- I didn't see that show so I don't know if you are quoting the question exactly as it was asked. If, however, you are, I can certainly see your (and the contestant's) confusion. The question is indeed ambiguous and would have been clear if only it read "that term" instead of "their term". Call the contestant back, Alex!

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program ...

February 04 2011 at 6:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
michael and rita

Michael always said J.R.'s character was ( love to hate him ) but loved the character. This is great, hope all the other ones join in. Glad they're bringing it back, and hope they do use the same theme music.

February 03 2011 at 12:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dcnashinsc

I forgot to turn to Jeopardy again to reread the question.

February 02 2011 at 8:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
iluvmydoggie

PLEASE DON'T FORGET CLIFF BARNES, RAY KREBS OR CHARLENE TILTON. ALSO PLEASE HAVE THE SAME THEME!! YOU GOTTA HAVE THE SAME MUSIC, IF YOU WANT PEOPLE TO TUNE IN :)

February 02 2011 at 7:48 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
promoguys1

To cdnashinsc. I agree. The question was misleading. They should call her back.

February 02 2011 at 7:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ELEANOR

THIS IS GREAT NEWS FOR ME,. I WAS JUST SAYING THE OTHER DAY HOW MUCH I LOVED DALLAS AND NEVER MISSED A SHOW. IT WILL BE GOOD TO SEE THE OLD GANG TOGETHER AGAIN-A BIT OLDER, BUT AREN'T WE ALL...I HAD THE BIGGEST CRUSH ON BOBBY- LIKE A SCHOOL GIRL, AFTER ALL WE WERE THE SAME AGE.. IT IS SAD HOW TIME FLEW BY.

February 02 2011 at 7:45 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Linda

I can't wait!!!! I watched it all in the day and will be watching it when it returns!

February 02 2011 at 7:41 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
dcnashinsc

TV question. Not about Dallas. I was just watching Jeopardy. The Final Jeopardy answer was, "Name 2 of the 3 Presidents elected to a second term that did not complete their term in office." It comes on in Orlando at 7 and Tampa at 7:30. I guess I have to check out the Tampa station when they show final jeopardy again to see if I read it correctly. The woman had a big lead ($16K) and bid all of her money. She said Lincoln and FDR. That was wrong. I think it was right unless I misread the wording of the question. The correct answers were. Licoln, McKinley and Nixon. They must have meant didn't complete the second term. Do you think they should call her back. I think the question was misleading.

February 02 2011 at 7:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to dcnashinsc's comment
goldknight90

FDR doesn't count because he was elected to four terms and died early in the 4th. So he completed a second and third term.

February 02 2011 at 7:41 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply