September 2, 2014

'The Cape' in Big Trouble As NBC Cuts Series Order

by Catherine Lawson, posted Feb 2nd 2011 7:20AM
'The Cape'Is it the end of the road for 'The Cape'? The fledgling superhero drama seems to be in serious trouble as NBC has cut the number of episodes for this debut season down from 13 to 10.

Deadline.com reports that falling ratings --this week's episode was a series low -- have forced the network to step in. As the drama is currently wrapping its tenth episode, production will now stop altogether.

The tenth/final episode of 'The Cape' will reportedly air Feb. 28, and after that the Monday 9PM ET time slot will be filled by 'The Event,' returning for the second half of its debut season.

'The Cape' stars David Lyons ('ER'), Summer Glau ('Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles') and Keith David ('Crash'). The story revolves around a police officer who becomes a superhero after he is framed for murder. The pilot episode garnered warm critical reviews, and the series notched up respectable ratings at first.

However, since moving from Sunday to Monday 'The Cape' has been steadily shedding viewers, and Monday night's Episode 5 was down 6 percent on the previous week. Our own Ryan McGee described it as "plodding."

Returning sci fi drama, 'The Event,' has had its own share of problems, and although NBC has placed a full series order of 22 episodes, rumors have persisted that it's also in trouble. However, producers have been reworking aspects of the show during its three-month winter hiatus and have supplemented the original cast with new recurring characters.

'The Cape' airs Mondays, 9PM ET on NBC.
New episodes of 'The Event' are due to air Mondays, 9PM ET on NBC, from March 7.

Brad456

I need my Summer Glau fix.

February 03 2011 at 7:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alpha-Sphere

How to create a TV hit 101

1. Put down a huge amount of money and buy the rights for a Y the Last man TV series.
2. Get Summer Glau on board :)
3. Get Joss Whedon on board

If it doesn't work out buy the rights for firefly and continue the series :)

February 02 2011 at 12:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lynn

Okay, 1st, how about trying a new night and also NEW WRITERS! This could be an amazing show with the
correct story lines. I keep watching because I believe it has potential, Don't give up on the show yet.

February 02 2011 at 12:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
danny

I watched the first 2 shows but got bored.......Plot seemed to drag on so I never had the feeling of watching anymore.

February 02 2011 at 12:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rea-Rea

I saw this coming..the show is ok,but there isnt much of a story line.I still TiVo it,hoping it will get better though :/

February 02 2011 at 12:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pbe73

This Karma for cancelling "Heros" !!!!!

February 02 2011 at 12:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
VillaFan

First episode just didn't hook me and the 2nd episode lost me. Only redeeming feature of the series...Summer Glau!!

February 02 2011 at 12:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sk1d

Wow, totally forgot about the Event; and I read a TV blog everyday. Both shows are doomed.

February 02 2011 at 10:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

I've completely lost interest in The Cape. The stories are not compelling or interesting; and the characters are poorly developed.

February 02 2011 at 9:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mithund

Wow, NBC just can't get it right can they?

February 02 2011 at 8:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply