December 18, 2014

Is 'Hawaii Five-0' Moving to L.A.? Star Daniel Dae Kim Sounds Off

by Maggie Furlong, posted Feb 3rd 2011 10:00AM
Daniel Dae Kim, 'Hawaii Five-0'There have been some Internet rumblings that 'Hawaii Five-0' (Mondays, 10PM ET on CBS) might be moving to Los Angeles, and they just won't go away. I know, it's blasphemy, right? Right?

Since I'm currently in Hawaii down the street from where they shoot, I thought I'd get our pal, star Daniel Dae Kim, to set the record straight.

After all, if anyone's an expert on shooting here in paradise, it's him. With 'Lost' and now 'Five-0' both based in Oahu, he and his family have called the island home for a while now.

So, are the rumors true? Could they really fake Hawaii on a show with Hawaii in the title?

"I'd be willing to bet my house that that's not happening," Kim said with a laugh. "And if it was happening, I'd have to bet my house."

Phew! But why does this same story keep cropping up?

Sure, some people may argue that it's cheaper to shoot in Hawaii than in L.A., but factor in travel and lodging for guest stars (most of whom are based in L.A.), getting press to set for coverage, and scheduling events with a cast that's 2,500 miles away and in a different time zone, and you can see why faking it in California might be tempting for the network and studio.

And according to Kim, some cast and crewmembers might like it better as well. "Everything I've ever been told from the people who would know is that we're staying, but I'm sure there are a few people who would rather be in L.A.," he said with a smile. (A smile that confirmed he's definitely not one of them.)

What do you think: Would you still watch the show if it didn't have all the gorgeous (real) Hawaiian scenery?

Follow Maggie on Twitter @TheTVShowGirl.

Brad456

they will still do location shoots in Hawaii.
interiors & close ups will be done at the studio.
I doubt most people would even notice.

February 04 2011 at 1:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tvcynic666

There are so many problems with Hawaii Five-O that a move from the Island would be the death of the show. The island is the "star" of the show. The only actors worth anything are Daniel Dae Kim, Grace Park and Scott Caan. Alex O'Loughlin is a joke, his accent is straight out of Good Fellas' not Hawaii, and the writing for his character makes his character seem like an a$$ as well as incompetent, his fake CSI skills such as using a vacuum cleaner to "dust for prints" and his obvious lack of Police training makes him being the leader of the five-O squad laughable. About the five-O squad they had this big scene about naming the squad like it was the holy grail and the next week they were announcing that they were "five-O" like everyone just knew who they were and the real question that I want the answer to is this. Are they the police or not? They don't get search warrants and they don't follow Miranda. So is the show about a Governor endorsed vigilante group or are the plot holes supposed to be part of the story.

February 04 2011 at 12:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hugh

TONY MONTANA You dummy it's a t v show,Jack Lord has nothing to do with it . Good show and I don't think they can fake it in LA.

February 04 2011 at 10:41 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
TONY MONTANA

it doesn't make any difference,Hawaii 50 ( new one ) is not good show.please let jack lord rest in peace by cancelling the new one.

February 04 2011 at 12:59 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
bmovie

I occasionally watch it in hopes of catching some of Maui where my wife and I went on our Honeymoon 40 years ago. If it goes to LA, then forget it.

I understand that "The Good Wife" is shot in New York, and that some of CSINY is shot in LA. It really would be a hoot to see a chase scene in Hawaii 50 that showed a sidewalk of stars.

February 03 2011 at 7:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
skullzblood64

What next, Alaska49, "Book 'em" Bristol.......................

February 03 2011 at 6:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mary

Don't move Hawaii 50 from Hawaii to LA! I watch to see Hawaii not Los Angeles.

February 03 2011 at 5:22 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
crazy ray

How about a little Kauai, at least Maui, or the Big Island.

February 03 2011 at 11:26 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
JENNIFER

I love the scenery in Hawaii - it just wouldnt be the same in LA. Keep it in Hawaii - and BTW that Scott Caan is adorable.

February 03 2011 at 11:05 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

Don't they get tax credits for filming in Hawaii that would go away if they move to LA?

That being said, they shoot CSI Miami and NY in LA, why not H5O? Like the two CSIs, H5O suck, so does it really matter?

February 03 2011 at 10:23 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply