April 24, 2014

'NCIS' Renewed for Season 9 After Mark Harmon Signs New Deal

by Catherine Lawson, posted Feb 3rd 2011 6:25AM
'NCIS' S08/E13It's been a fantastic week for 'NCIS.' First, the veteran procedural drama notched up record ratings Tuesday night for the second time this season. Now, comes news that CBS has officially renewed it for a ninth season.

According to deadline.com, 'NCIS' is the first CBS drama to be officially renewed for the fall 2011 season. CBS Entertainment President Nina Tassler said, "It's simply amazing that a show in its eighth season continues to perform at such an elite level." She went on to thank the drama's "incredibly devoted fan base ... for their passion and commitment."

News of the renewal came in the wake of star Mark Harmon (Special Agt. Gibbs) signing a new two-year deal to stay with the show. Unlike his co-stars, who last year were involved in protracted contract negotiations with producers, Harmon has signed his deal ahead of schedule.

He will reportedly now earn around $500,000 per episode, which puts him in the same range as Hugh Laurie makes on 'House,' and which William Petersen was pulling in before he quit 'CSI.' Harmon is also being bumped up from producer to executive producer, and has signed a production deal with CBS for his company, Wings Prods.

Harmon's deal leaves Cote de Pablo (Ziva David) as the only key cast member without a deal in place. Because she joined in Season 3 her deal's not due to expire until the end of this season.

Originally a spin-off from 'JAG,' 'NCIS' follows a fictional team of agents from the Naval Criminal Investigative Service as they investigate criminal cases involving the US Navy and Marine Corps. Ratings have consistently climbed since the show debuted on CBS in 2003, and it reached the Top Ten in its fifth season. This season it's become the most-watched scripted show on US TV.

The second episode of the seventh season ('Reunion') gave 'NCIS' its highest ratings ever until now. The Jan. 12th episode, 'Ships in the Night,' was watched by a record-breaking 22 million viewers, only for the series to outdo itself this week with a whopping 22.9 million. Read our recap of the record-breaker, 'Freedom,' here.

Part of the show's enduring appeal lies with Harmon. Last month he topped an annual Harris poll of most popular celebrities, knocking Oprah Winfrey off the top spot. She tied for second place with Hugh Laurie, and Harmon's CBS stablemate, 'Two and a Half Men' star Charlie Sheen, came in fifth.

'NCIS' airs Tuesdays, 8PM ET on CBS.

whiskeydogfour

i would just like to say that ncis is the dogs bollocks of a programe ,and on equal par is dexter , lets just say that if you cheer for gibbs and his team you will cheer for a serial killer , in the same light watch it you will not be dissapointed rock on ncis

August 11 2011 at 5:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chukwudi

IT SUFFICE TO SAY THAT NCIS IS THE BEST SHOW OF ALL TIMES (NEXT TO BOSTON LEGAL). I LOVE ZIVA DAVID...SHE IS THE SEXY ISREALI THAT I CAN ONLY DREAM OF BUT I CAN NEVER HAVE HER I REALITY. I WILL CONTINUE TO HAVE WET DREAMS ABOUT HER TILL THE DAY I ROLL OVER AND DIE......THAT IS AN IRREFUTABLE FACT.....LET US ALL AS NCIS FANS CHALLENGE DONALD BELISSARIO TO ENSURE THAT NCIS SURPASSES 20 SEASONS.....I CALL IT THE 20 SEASON CHALLENGE.......DONALD IF YOU CAN HEAR ME OUT LOUD....TAKE ME UP ON THE CHALLENGE......LET NCIS SURPASS CSI AND ER COMBINED IN TERMS OF # OF SEASONS.

by the way if I were to rank my list of Favorite TV shows of all time it would be as follows"

1. BOSTON LEGAL
2. NCIS
3. ER
4. HOUSE/ IN TREATMENT/ TELL ME YOU LOVE ME (I PUT THEM HERE BECAUSE THERE ARE NO CURRENT SEASONS WHICH MAKES ME YERN FOR THEM...I KNOW...LOL)
5. CRIMINAL MINDS
7. BURN NOTICE
8. SUITS (STILL RISING)
9. RIZZOLLI AND ISLES ( I NEED TO WATCH THIS MORE B/C I MISS KATE TODD)
10. LEVERAGE (THIS IS ANOTHER GREAT SHOW)
11. REBA (OF COURSE)
12. THE GAME
13... TO BE DETERMINED IN THE NEAR FUTURE

July 12 2011 at 8:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chukwudi

1. BOSTON LEGAL
2. NCIS
3. ER
5. CRIMINAL MINDS
7. BURN NOTICE
8. SUITS (STILL RISING)
9. RIZZOLLI AND ISLES ( I NEED TO WATCH THIS MORE B/C I MISS KATE TODD)
10. LEVERAGE (THIS IS ANOTHER GREAT SHOW)
11. REBA (OF COURSE)
12. THE GAME
13... TO BE DETERMINED IN THE NEAR FUTURE

July 12 2011 at 8:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tweety9407

I'M SO GLAD NCIS HAS BEEN RENEWED. I 'M NOT SURPRISED, NCIS HAS AND ALWAYS WILL BE MY HUSBAND' S AND MY FAVORITE SHOW AND ALWAYS WILL BE. NCIS I BELEIVE HAS BEEN SO SUCCESSFUL BECAUSE EACH EPISODE BRINGS DRAMA, SURPRISES, AND JOKING AROUND. PLUS YOU CAN SEE EACH CAST MEMBER ENJOYS WORKING WITH EACH OTHER AS A FAMILY. EACH MEMBER HAS THIER OWN SPECIAL TALENT. NCIS HAS ALL THESE THINGS GOING FOR IT AND THE PROGRAM IS NEVER BORING. THE WRITTERS HAVE NEVER LET US DOWN, IT'S AMAZING HOW THEY COME UP WITH GREAT EPISODES.GREAT JOB TO ALL OF THE CAST AND I CAN'T WAIT FOR SEASON NINE.

June 13 2011 at 2:01 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
aussie11

i have to say for all us aussies ncis is the best tv show ever there has not nor will there ever be a show like it again im glad that they are making more please keep them comming :) ohh id love to see a night where danozo and ziva sucome to each other then try to forrget they did just to stir things up a bit lol

June 02 2011 at 11:16 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
grkiddj2011abc

this is the best show on television

April 12 2011 at 9:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
smitty1977

@ mycuppat
I'll tell you what's not to like about this show. They still have not solved the Harm and Mac question. What happened with the coin toss? Who retired? Where are they now? Do they have kids? That's the only thing not to like about NCIS. Other than that, I love this show!!

March 22 2011 at 9:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mycuppat

Way to go NCIS! I love the entire cast... I would be hard put to pick my favorite character, but Tony and Abby are in a close race with Gibbs and Ducky, and Ziva and McGee are right there too! What's not to like about this show?

February 09 2011 at 9:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cantalopeh

All the CSI shows are playing to people's bizarre love for all things gory, bloody and violent. I watched once and it was disgusting!Blood and guts that were totally unnecessary to the plot. It just seems to get worse and worse. So many TV shows like this! Bones is another one. Personally I never watch any of them. The world is violent enough without sensationalizing it

February 08 2011 at 12:03 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to cantalopeh's comment
AusGirl

To start off with, I appreciate your view it is a common one. I guess I just focus on all the things you don't see. Yes it's bloody and gory and there have been a few times I myself have to look away. The point I get from the show is that yes, the world is not a safe place, their is just so much pointless death, and violence is way to prevailent in today's society. But with these shows I enjoy the friendship, the connection between the people and the dedication they have to something they believe in. I like seeing characters struggle against life, and though they do not always prevail, and not everything is alright, they try their best and have people there when they really needed. This is something we should see more of. So, yes, i'm sure there are people out there who may only watch for the blood and gore but there is so much more.

May 04 2011 at 1:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
alycemd

This is about NCIS, not CSI.

December 19 2011 at 4:44 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
joedpowell

I am an avid wather of NCIS. But what happened to Cold Case, is there any chance of it coming Back?

February 07 2011 at 2:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply