October 23, 2014

NBC Benches 'Chase'

by Catherine Lawson, posted Feb 4th 2011 7:30AM
'Chase'The news just keeps getting worse for 'Chase' fans. After cutting the series order back in December, NBC has now announced that it is putting the series on hiatus, effective immediately.

According to The Futon Critic, beginning Wednesday, NBC will replace the struggling drama with a second hour of 'Minute to Win It.' The scheduling change comes after the game show this week posted series-high ratings in the time slot normally occupied by 'Chase.'

'Minute to Win It' attracted 9.5 million viewers and a 3.0 rating in the coveted adults aged 18-49 demographic. By contrast, the most recent new episode of 'Chase' pulled in a comparatively modest 4.17 million viewers and a 1.2 rating.

'Chase' is a procedural drama starring Kelli Giddish ('Past Life') as cowboy-boot-wearing U.S. Marshal Annie Frost, who heads up an elite team tracking down violent criminals on the run. Despite having the weight of Jerry Bruckheimer and Warner Bros. TV behind it, the show has struggled in the ratings from the start.

Although NBC placed a full series order in October, it reversed the decision in December and cut the number of episodes from 22 to 18. There are still five unaired episodes in the can, but there's been no word yet when, or if, they will air.

'Minute to Win It' is a prime time game show hosted by Guy Fieri in which contestants take part in a series of 60-second challenges using common household objects. It's part of a successful international franchise, with versions airing in countries such as Australia, India, Malaysia and Peru. NBC will now air back-to-back episodes Wednesday nights, starting at 8PM ET.

Nikki

the heat team is the best bring back chase Annie Frost Rocks

April 22 2012 at 5:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nikki

i want chase back i am a huge fan they always bench or cancel great shows please bring it back

April 22 2012 at 5:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sherrie

I agree with "sir"....NBC always cancels the best shows. I was a huge Chase fan! Now I see from last night's Law & Order SVU, she' s on that show now. So I thought to myself, I guess that means Chase is never coming back. It was such an original unique show. And I was so mad when they cancelled Mercy too! Another great show gone.

September 22 2011 at 8:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Youngpeter

"CHASE" oops.

May 22 2011 at 1:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Youngpeter

Chace was the only show on your network that I watched,It is a GREAT show.I guess that I can skip NBC all togather now.

May 22 2011 at 1:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Erma

I agree Rachael, its crazy NBC would stop this show. What silly mess will NBC put in its place? Oh well, we will be renting more movies. This makes two shows that we enjoy that have been cancelled.

May 18 2011 at 11:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rachael Kraus

Its crazy they would stop this show

May 14 2011 at 12:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
raj961

Unbelievable.............. I like Guy Fieri, but can't watch this show! We miss "Chase", with good acting and original story lines! Maybe a network with more imagination and taste will pick up this show!

May 11 2011 at 12:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gdawson55

I simply cannot believe "Minute to Win It' attracted 9.5 million viewers. Who are these people that actually watch these shows? This show, along with so many other game and reality shows, are a total disgust. Cancelling shows such as "Chase" is something I can not understand. If the ratings are poor, it's obviously on at a bad time.

May 09 2011 at 4:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Doubtful

I've watched every episode. The last two were the best yet. The NBC execs apparently don't even have sense enough to at least try a schedule change before cancelling a series. They cancel it first then move it.

May 02 2011 at 8:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply