April 23, 2014

Meet 'Glee's' Lauren Zizes, aka Ashley Fink

by Jean Bentley, posted Feb 8th 2011 1:30PM
Ashley Fink, GleeHas 'Glee's' Brittany S. Pierce met her match in the one-liner department?

Actress Ashley Fink has popped up as McKinley High student Lauren Zizes on 'Glee' since the first season, often to bluntly call out her classmates for their dumb behavior and crack wise. But now that her character has joined New Directions, we've noticed the Houston-born, L.A.-raised actress can deliver a zinger with the bite of Sue Sylvester and the humor of our beloved Brittany.

When TV Squad caught up with the 24-year-old actress last month, she told us she didn't find out Lauren, the Greco-Roman wrestling state champion, was becoming a full-fledged member of New Directions until the wardrobe department called her for a fitting.

"They were like, 'You need to come in for your fitting tomorrow because for the big number you have to match everyone,'" she said. "And I was like, 'That's weird. Why do I have to match everybody?' Because they called me before I got the script. And they were like, 'Oh, no! Did we ruin the surprise?' I was like, 'There is no way this could be ruined -- this is the best news ever.'"

The self-professed musical theater geek ("I know the big snobs don't like 'Wicked' and 'Rent,' but I love 'Wicked' and 'Rent.' I love 'Spring Awakening,' 'Next to Normal,' 'In the Heights'") would not spill one. Single. Detail. About the upcoming episodes. (Though we now know for sure she's the lady Puck is crushing on.) After the jump, Fink discusses her Golden Globes experience, her dream 'Glee' guest star and her favorite karaoke song.

TV Squad: This being 'Glee' and all, first things first: Do you sing?
Ashley Fink: I am a singer. I've been a musical theater kid my entire life. For the auditions for 'Glee,' they made me sing. I guess it's because they never know where you're going to end up.

What did you perform?
I sang 'Out Tonight' from 'Rent' because I thought it was funny. I was going out for Lauren Zizes, who's this monotone [person] and I was singing this very sexy 'Take Me Out Tonight.'

GleeWhich 'Glee' character are you most like in real life?
Oh, that's hard! I don't know. I'm real hood like Artie, I like fashion like Kurt. But in high school, I was straight up-and-down Tina. I mean to the Doc Marten combat boots -- and if I didn't have eyeliner, I would use a Bic pen, no joke.

But you also have that Rachel Berry musical theater lover in you.
That's true. I'm not going to deny I have a little Berry in me.

Will we hear you sing a solo soon?
I can't! I'm under strict orders not to give plot points away. It's a Catch-22 because you're so excited you want to tell everyone, but you want it to be a surprise. I'm a big fan of the show and there's something so special about not knowing what's coming. I can't give anything away, but there's a lot of fun stuff coming up.

OK, fine. But there have been some rumors about Lauren and Puck.
Well, what rumors are going around?

We hear that Puck might be more into Lauren than he thought he would be.
Well Lauren is pretty irresistible, I don't know. How could you resist Lauren?

That's a good, diplomatic answer.
Lady, I want to lift my veil and tell you everything I know, but there's a lot of exciting stuff coming up for a lot of people. I think people are not necessarily going to expect where everything's going. I think people have a set idea of where the characters are going but I think Ryan's going to surprise everybody, to be honest.

If he can keep his mouth shut.
(Laughs) You said it, not me! I love that he can't contain it, it's adorable.

In your dream world, what song would you like to sing on the show?
I've thought about it, but there are so many good answers. Honestly, I want to sing 'Pour Some Sugar On Me' by Def Leppard.

Do you rock the soundtrack in your car?
I have every 'Glee' soundtrack. I love them. Sometime my iPod is on shuffle and I'll pull up to Paramount, people will be like, "Really?" This has happened to me multiple times. But my iPod is on shuffle, it's good music, don't hate. My mom is obsessed. I'll be at work all day and then she'll turn it on in my car and it's like, "Oh goodness."

Do you karaoke?
Oh, yes. I eat and breathe karaoke. But now it's a little scary because there is so much pressure. I love karaoke. I have staples. 'Take Me or Leave Me' from 'Rent,' 'Total Eclipse of the Heart.' That's what I wanted to sing on 'Glee' but they did it. 'Pour Some Sugar on Me.' I always used to do Meatloaf, 'I Would Do Anything for Love.' That song is a hell march because it's like eight minutes long.

How long will Lauren stick around?
Your guess is as good as mine. I don't know. I'm still shooting, but I don't have a certain number of episodes. I'm taking it one episode at a time.

What has been your favorite scene to shoot so far?
Filming 'Dog Days' in sectionals. I'm a big fan of singing and dancing, and that was a moment where you just pinch yourself and go, "I'm on 'Glee.'" Being with the cast and rehearsing the dances, learning the music -- in between takes it's like 'Glee' as well. We're always singing and dancing. You'd think that when we finished filming, we'd all be sitting in our chairs. People will be like, "You know we're not filming, right?" But that's how we roll.

Who's your dream guest star?
Seth Green has been my ultimate celebrity crush -- well actually it was Raphael from 'Ninja Turtles' but then I realized I can't. But then it was Seth Green. I have his action figure. I've avoided meeting him left and right because I'm nervous. I've heard from everyone that he's the nicest person ever, but I would be such a geek. Seth Green would be my flip over. It would be my N'SYNC moment.

Your N'SYNC moment?
You know when little girls would meet N'SYNC and faint? That would be me.

Has a particular story line on the show really resonated with you?
I was bullied really bad when I was younger in school. I kind of rose above it. The bullying storyline -- I mean it's still happening obviously -- but it felt so honest. I was was really proud of the show for going there. Even though I wasn't a part of that storyline, people have come up to me and cried. I've done a lot of work for Prop 8 and marriage equality and it's so amazing to be at the rallies or fundraisers and people seeing that represented on TV and feeling like they have a voice. 'Glee' has so much power and using it for something like that, it's just magic.

Well, what about Mercedes and Lauren? Their story lines have just been jokes about food.
I've gotten a lot of people talking to me about it, and I wouldn't quite make judgments yet. There's a lot of -- in the Kurt storyline there were very typical gay jokes in the beginning. I think Ryan has a master plan and we're all kind of along for the ride. I know what you mean, but I wouldn't count us out just yet on that front. We all have to laugh at ourselves but it's going somewhere.

Chris Colfer, Ashley Fink, Golden GlobesHow were the Golden Globes?
Chris [Colfer] asked me to be his date. We had a blast. It was one of those never forget, tell-your-grandchildren moments.

What was your reaction when Chris won?
It was like a bomb went off. He was shocked, even though we weren't because I knew he was going to win. He did not. I literally picked him up out of his chair. It was so cool because not only did all the 'Glee' people stand up for him, all the tables surrounding us stood up. And his speech was just so moving -- it was the best speech of the night for me. Then Jane won, then the show won. It was one of those all-time experiences for me. Chris and I have a blast wherever we go, but put us in that situation, it's amazing.

Let's try this again -- these rumors about Lauren and Puck, are they outside the realm of possibility?
I think there's a really hilarious chemistry between Puck and Lauren. I think he's a badass, she's a badass. I don't know, I think they're funny together. There's something about the two of them together that I like, so I hope it's not outside the realm of possibility.

Joey Wohlhieter III

Just saw Ashley and the gang at the 2011 Glee concert here in Indianapolis. And they absolutely ROCKED it. It was awesome. And Ashley's dad is from Indiana, so her grandparents were in the crowd. I was astounded. Best concert I've been to in a long, long time.

June 08 2011 at 9:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lesha8910

Well I think Puckerman belongs with Mercedes

March 09 2011 at 2:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kim Long

I am a 38 year old female nurse. My son, who's 12, and I began watching a marathon of "Glee "that aired on the "Oxygen Network" 2/5/11. My son and I fell in love with the show. My son actually told me for Valentines Day all he wanted was a new episode of Glee but we have to wait until the day after for the new episode to air. So since my son and I are so behind from the previous episodes/seasons, we decided to go and buy the 1st season. We plan to also get the other seasons also to catch up on all that has happened on the show previously.
Anyway we loved the Valentine episode that aired on 2/8/11. The show really hit home for me, because as an overweight child from 6th grade throughout high school, being made fun of and never having a guy ask you out was a true reality. I beleive the show is great for teenagers (as well as adults) and sends the message to be yourself and to do what makes you happy as well as accept one another no matter what side of town your from, ugly, pretty, fat, skinny, or sexual oreintation. I truly beleive that there are many guys/gals out there who may be attracted to "the not so stereotype beautys" but are afraid to express or show there feelings because afraid of what there friends may say. You know the peer pressure you experience as a teenager is overwhelming and influences teenagers at times, in a negative manner, causing kids to just be down right "mean" to fellow classmates. I loved it when Lauren made the comment to Puck "I'm America." The way i presumed that to mean was that Lauren was saying "hey I'm the typical gal you find in America, the majority of us have flaws and aren't a size 4 and beautiful."
My son has never reallly been into sports. My son has always been more theatrical. He likes to make people laugh, dance and sing. I think he gets those "hobbies" from me as I had always wanted to be in the school play but nerves got the best of me. I told, and have always told, Wade (my son) to follow his heart and what makes him happy regardless of what people may think or say. For example, Wade feels as if he would be made fun of for joining a chorus and I have told him many times to follow his heart, "if you enjoy it and its fun to you, then it must be something God has planned for you." After watching some of the shows, Wade has had a complete turn around and is now more open to want to join chorus and once in high school, wants to join the drama club. I hope he continues with what he enjoys doing and pursues the drama club. He wants tyo be involved in everything from the lights and sounds to the perfromance. He told me he wants to experience all of it. The thing about Wade is that he's good at singing and dancing ( he loves doing the robot and break dancing) and he loves to entertain.
So thank you so much for an awesome show and sending the message to kids to go for their dreams and to accept one another. At the end of the day we are all just human and all have feelings.

February 14 2011 at 1:53 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
chetneymcrieve

The biggest Mistake humans do are to judge people by their Body.
Both sides are wrong. There is NOTHING Ok about beeing Overweight its not
Natural, it's not her, noone on this planet is build for beeing Fat, lil curvy maybe
but NOT FAT. I'm Overweight myself, since i was 4 year old. I still try to work on it, i hate people who judge me
for that because they think its disguisting but i also hate it when someone just tells me "I love you just the way you look!" because this is actually not the way i look, my body is build for a normal weight
and i'm sure that everyone elses is too, there can't be a desease that keeps someone from beeing
that fat, there's no such thing as 'she can't do anything to fight it'
Else I just hate people who don't understand ANYTHING about beeing thick. Its Unhealthy? YEAH we know,
thx for telling everytime i step by, and giving me millions of useless diet tipps who don't help cause oh yeah
i think about my body 24/7 for 14 years now and believe me i know more about food, sports and body than you do ...
I'm amazed that a Show finally took a character like Lauren, not beeing just overweight- i mean beeing really overweight. It feels good to see that there's no way someone can stop you from having a carreer like that and
i like that a good looking guy like puck falls for her not a klishee *i'm fat too* kind of guy.
But i'm against accepting overweight either. There's no reason for any overweight person to fight for acceptance.
It's my opinion. It's not something homosexuell neither a disease, we think and live the same way slim people do so if there's a big chance to change it there's just no reason too. Also we think exactly the same way slim people do,
just imagine megan fox as overweight as ashley, still she's megan right?...

February 10 2011 at 9:56 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Anderson

I love his character!

February 10 2011 at 9:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Martha Stewart

ot sure what to think about this, it’s hard to tell if it’s positive or negative. Glee casting folks are looking for some obese kids for the show, in particular an obese girl who will be “the biggest, most intimidating girl ever”. Hmmm, you see the issue here I assume? She’s obese, so she’s intimidating? What the heck? Why can’t she be a skinny bitch (to borrow a phrase from The Big C’s Laura Linney) and intimidating?

The thing with Glee is, it generally plays on how silly intolerance is, so I’m assuming the episode itself will do just that, but sometimes things can get lost in the packaging. What do you guys think of this casting call? Is it going to be just another case of the “angry fat” girl intimidating other people, or something with a bit less negative stereotype and a bit more thought?

February 10 2011 at 9:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Martha Stewart's comment
Carolyn

Santana, the self-proclaimed "hottest" girl in school (and one of the most aesthetically pleasing to the viewing audience), is the biggest bitch/bully/intimidator on the show. The character of Lauren is that she's a "badass" who wears a hard shell but has a soft side underneath. I think MANY people can relate to that.

February 10 2011 at 10:32 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
proud army wife

Wow, most of you don't seem to even get what this show is really about and for the woman who said her main character doesn't fit in glee club...you are an idiot. I was in chior/glee and there were girls and guys of all sizes. I was a cheerleder and volleyball star but that didn't make me think less of the other people around me. This show is about accepting everyone for who they are, inside and outside. The actors on this show are all very good at their jobs and are good role models just for being their characters. Acceptance comes in all shapes, sizes and colors!!!

February 10 2011 at 7:05 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Jenna

Well, I say **** all the girls who are bashing you because you can't shop at Abercrombie or Hollister. You're hilarious, beautiful and talented and I can't wait to see you in future episodes. Your character has given one of my friends so much confidence. She's very overweight and she looks up to you and finds it amazing that "normal" sized people give bigger girls the time of day. It's great that that is portrayed on Glee.

February 10 2011 at 3:17 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
Isabella

Exactly my thoughts MaureenG!

February 10 2011 at 2:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carmen

It's so disgusting that people like you exist. Yeah, I said it! I don't even think you realize what you are saying and how it makes you look. If you don't have anything nice to say, keep your nastiness to yourself! No need to guess who this post is for!

February 10 2011 at 1:24 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply