September 15, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Michelle Obama Doesn't Want Sasha and Malia on Facebook ... Yet (VIDEO)

by Nick Zaino, posted Feb 9th 2011 1:25PM
First lady Michelle Obama Facebook Today ShowMichelle Obama talked about her daughters and Facebook this morning on 'Today' (Weekdays, 7AM on NBC), reporting that neither Sasha, who is 9, nor Malia, 12, are on the popular social networking site.

Matt Lauer asked her what her reasoning was for keeping her kids off Facebook. "I'm not a big fan of young kids having Facebook," said Obama. "It's not something they need. It's not necessary right now."

Lauer followed up: Would she be OK with her daughters joining the site if they weren't in the White House? The frst lady joked that it depended on their age and when they leave 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. "Maybe when they're 40," Lauer suggested.

"Maybe we'll talk about," she said.

It seems like a safe parenting move, but we suspect politics could be at play here. Can you imagine how exhausting it'd be for the First Family to have two kids lobbying for Farmville subsidies at the dinner table?

Watch the full interview here:

Anthony Guzzi

As bad as it sounds, I can't wait for Sasha and Malia's friends to tease them about not being able to use Facebook since everybody else does.

February 10 2011 at 12:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cuda72racer13

I AM A DAM TEAPOT SHORT AND MOFO STOUT HERE IS MY HANDLE HERE IS MY SPOUT

February 09 2011 at 8:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wsa999

We don't want Michelle's face on there either. Hurry 2013.

February 09 2011 at 4:49 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Faye & Travis

I wholeheartedly agree with the First Lady. Children do not need Facebook. My son is 10 and he has no interest in Facebook what so ever.

February 09 2011 at 4:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jabezjoy

Type your comment here
As a parent, Mrs. Obama has a right to and should control the activities of her children, whether in the White House or not. When you consider the things that are displayed on Facebook, I will not allow my child to participate either. Young people are inundated with so much these days that overshadow parenting, I applaud Mrs. Obama for taking control.

February 09 2011 at 3:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply