October 21, 2014

Will 'Law & Order: SVU' Return for Season 13?

by Chris Harnick, posted Feb 10th 2011 10:10AM
Mariska Hargitay, Chris Meloni, Law and Order: SVUIt's that time again: Contract negotiations have begun with the stars of NBC's 'Law & Order: SVU.'

Mariska Hargitay and Chris Meloni are only contracted through the end of season 12, but according to departing showrunner Neal Baer, the show will likely return for a season 13.

"[Harigtay and Meloni are] as committed to playing Olivia and Elliot as they were the first day I walked in and saw them in the interrogation room," Baer told TVLine. "It's an amazing thing that never lags. [Mariska and Chris] are so professional and the ultimate artists in that they're there to realize their characters, making them as strong, believable and compelling as possible. And there aren't a lot of opportunities to do that [in television]."

If the show is renewed, it'll be after the contract negotiations are finished. Baer seems confident the stars will return, but last February rumors of Meloni's desire to leave 'SVU' ran rampant across the Internet. Baer denied the published reports via Twitter.

After 12 years, 'SVU' is one of NBC's top dramas, delivering ratings wins over competition.

"Our researchers at NBC tell us we have 53 million unique viewers on average a week, across all platforms -- that would [include] USA, syndication off-network and originals," Baer said. "So one-out-of-six people is watching the show still ... in year 12! That's so gratifying."

With Baer leaving the show for a deal with CBS, the hunt is on for his successor, another indication the show will be back for season 13.

"They're the longest-running drama duo in TV history," Baer said, "and I think [they'll be around] as long as they can keep playing new angles within the parameters of the show."

Tell us: Do you want to see a season 13 of 'Law & Order: SVU'?

Jody Sanchez

yes, love watching the show.. love meloni and hargitay,,,, need to keep going... just a good show to watch.. keep up the great work and continue on.. lots of fans out here

September 18 2011 at 3:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jessica Hinckley

Yes!!! There needs to be a season 13 and beyond!!!

August 30 2011 at 3:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Russ Ramsey

Law & Order SVU gives educated people somewhere to go on the TV screen. Chris Meloni and Mariska Hargitay are in a class by themselves among TV actors. The stories are socially relevant, contribute to needed ideas in juris prudence, and offer exciting drama, all in one package. Chris and Mariska also offer a very high profile of excellence as human beings. We need more of them, and less of the celebrite hype about mediocre people. Should Law & Order SVU survive another season, a case can be made that the USA is actually a cultured nation with something between the ears besides worship of money and hormones. Russ

July 26 2011 at 3:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kyra

Of course i do! I love Law & Order: SVU its awesome! They better have a season 13. If they dont i will be oh so sad: :(( lol but serously I vote yes!

July 09 2011 at 10:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cristina Motta

Yes of course I want to see both of them on the TV again. I love L&O SVU, and Marisa Meloni are my favourites.
I hope to them together on next season 13th.Christina from Argentina

July 02 2011 at 11:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Cristina Motta's comment
Kyra

i totally agree. If the replace them the series wont be the same :((

July 09 2011 at 10:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TONI

I also am a devoted watcher please don't disapoint us, we gave our loyaty to them please return it to the watchers love the whole crew it just wouldn't be the same

May 26 2011 at 1:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rhondagrbb

I definitely want svu to return..it's by far my favorite tv show...I have not and will not miss an episode! My husband now watches it with me and feels the same!!! We will be thoruoghly disappointed if it doesn't return!!! Olivia,Elliot,Fin,Munch and Captain Craigen are simply awesome! :)

May 24 2011 at 10:58 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
melmoo114

this is my favorite show if it doesnt come back i will be so disapointed!!!!

May 23 2011 at 7:27 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Brianne Thibert

PLEASE A SEASON 13! AND 14 and 15 :) i've been watching since i was a kid, this show has done so much for me. i can't imagine life without it being there

May 22 2011 at 6:17 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Bri

Yes I would LOVE to see another season of Law and Order: SVU!!!!!! I was upset when I realized last Wednesday was the final episode of Season 12.

May 21 2011 at 9:29 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply