April 19, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Obama-O'Reilly Handshake: 'A Severe Power Struggle,' Says Body Language Expert (VIDEO)

by Jeremy Taylor, posted Feb 10th 2011 2:10PM
Barack Obama and Bill O'Reilly's handsake analyzed by body language expert.During Bill O'Reilly's pre–Super Bowl interview with Barack Obama, it was hard not to notice the two men's body language. For most of their conversation, O'Reilly was leaning forward, almost as if he were going to leap from his chair, whereas Obama sat back in his seat with his legs crossed.

Body language expert Tonya Reiman broke down the interview on 'The O'Reilly Factor' (weekdays, 8PM ET on Fox News),

"Kind of like a pounce position," was how she described O'Reilly being on the edge of his chair. Obama, on the other hand, was more closed off, according to her, because he was expecting tough questions.

But what really fascinated Reiman was the handshake at the end of the interview. She had it played in slow motion, and it showed Obama pulling O'Reilly toward him, when they first grabbed hands. Then O'Reilly turned his hand over, to prevent any further pulling.

"A severe power struggle," "a little tug-of-war" and "a power struggle between two alpha men" was how Reiman described the handshake.

We can't disagree that it looked like something was going on in that handshake. However, it's also possible that all handshakes take on an epic quality when played in slow motion.

John Watson

I don't understand how there could be a power struggle between a reporter and president their simply not equals and never will be.

February 12 2011 at 2:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
williamst645

I'm so happy for Jennifer Hudson....she is a beautiful woman and we love her son.
I think that Bill O'Reilly needs to learn to "respect" the President of the USA...he still has not accepted the role of this president. I really think that his "choice of words" (e.g., the American people "hate you.") should have been toned. He repeated it twice as if he wanted emphasize that the "American people" really "hate the president." O'Reilly and his "thugs" really need to get a "real life." This President has been respectful in all aspects.....and his family....you have not seen him once fall off an airplane...drunk, or at the World Games drunk (where his own daughter was trying to conceal him from the cameras, etc...). That is the reason why we are in the mess (I mean the USA) we're in now because of these "thugs (Cheney, Bush, and Romfeldt) got us into..... It was written all over O'Reilly 's face that he felt that he was still above this President in a general conversation.....Get real, O'Reillly! I'm a psychologicist, and I saw straight thru O'Reilly's body language. I like to know where Fox find this "psychologist (?) person from because she read both of these men's body language WRONG.

February 11 2011 at 3:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to williamst645's comment
Jmor12

Oh shut up. You obviously think you know it all. Romfeldt? Who the hell is Romfeldt?

Go back to sleep you sheep.

February 11 2011 at 7:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Art Buller

This lady reads way too much into things. I agree with Lamar, sort of. That is the way people younger than O'rilley shake hands, which includes people younger than me. I have had lot's of people younger than me throw that kind of hand shake on me. O'rilley needs to dispose of this lady. She is nothing more than a bunch of hocus pocus.

February 11 2011 at 12:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lamar

thats just how brothas shake hands. we go around instead of straight in.

February 10 2011 at 11:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply