April 18, 2014

Peggy Rea, 'Waltons' and 'Dukes of Hazzard' Star, Dies at 89

by PopEater Staff, posted Feb 11th 2011 11:45AM
Peggy ReaPeggy Rea, an actress who starred in 'The Waltons' and 'Dukes of Hazzard,' died Saturday at the age of 89.

According to The New York Times, Rea died of heart failure in her home in Toluca Lake, Calif.

Rea was a fixture on television in the late 1970s and early 1980s, playing Olivia Walton's cousin Rose on 'The Waltons' and Boss Hoggs' wife Lulu on 'The Dukes of Hazzard.' The actress also appeared on 'All in the Family,' 'The Golden Girls' and 'Step by Step.'

Her last TV role was as Jean Kelly, the feisty mother-in-law to Brett Butler's titular character on the sitcom 'Grace Under Fire.'

Born in Los Angeles in 1921, Rea was a production secretary for MGM before she moved to New York in 1947 to pursue a stage career. She appeared in Tennessee Williams' 'A Streetcar Named Desire' and Cole Porter's 'Out of this World' before returning to L.A. and giving up acting for nearly a decade to work as a production secretary on 'Gunsmoke.'

Her first television appearance came on 'I Love Lucy' in 1953, but Rea didn't return to acting full-time until 1962, with a role in 'Have Gun -- Will Travel.' Rea went on to make numerous TV appearances and was featured in a variety of films, including 'In Country' with Bruce Willis, 'Love Field' with Michelle Pfeiffer and 'Devil in a Blue Dress' with Denzel Washington.

finchfamily

the Mod Squad is now judging singers? I wondered where they went

February 12 2011 at 6:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sheryl

R.I.P. liked that clip--watched GraceUnder Fire...loved her...have a hard time relating to today's sitcoms. Oneod the networks should rern thesein her memory--one of those marathon weekends :-)

February 11 2011 at 7:59 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
jsduwilco

God Bless .R I P

February 11 2011 at 7:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Grandma

'PEGGY WAS A GREAT ACTRESS., MADE THE SHOWS SHE WAS IN ., 'R I P PEGGY

February 11 2011 at 7:44 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
BroknAngl54

Peggy was such a wonderful comic/actress. Just another precious Actress gone to perform in Heaven, My Thoughts and Prayers are with Peggy's Family and all her friends, R.I.P. and God Bless

February 11 2011 at 7:39 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Susan

Peggy was such a wonderful comic/actress. Those were the days when television was good. Now there are a lot of violent and not very good shows on, the majority of the time. There still are some good wholesome ones on, but usually reruns. Rest in peace, Peggy. You were one of a kind, and will be missed. You made a difference in the world.

February 11 2011 at 7:28 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
likes2kayak

Oh, I loved watching her in Grace Under Fire... She was such a hoot.... I also remember her in the Waltons and the Dukes. I guess that makes me old:) God Bless you Peggy and keep them laughing in Heaven:) RIP...

February 11 2011 at 7:12 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
jimbarry1946

May God Bless her immortal soul. She brought a lot of laughter in her carreer.

February 11 2011 at 6:20 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
burtlapp

Oh for the days when you didn't have to worry about exposing th kids to trash, or am I dateing myself?

February 11 2011 at 6:11 PM Report abuse +6 rate up rate down Reply
lavidaloca

i enjoyed u very much. very talented.

God Bless You.