July 31, 2014

'Fringe' Season 3, Episode 13 Recap

by Jason Hughes, posted Feb 12th 2011 11:30AM
'Fringe' - 'Immortality'['Fringe' - 'Immortality']

Commenter lbrown2293 saw it coming. Did you?

We slipped back to the "Other Side" this week and checked in with how their Fringe Division is handling things. One of their big concerns has to do with Alt-Broyles. While we know the sacrifice he made to save "our" Olivia, his compatriats do not.

To them, he is missing, and in his absence, someone else has stepped up to take charge. Sheep are still extinct, the avian flu is a pandemic that knows no vaccine, and Fauxlivia is asked the big one by her boyfriend. But that's before--

Well, we'll get to that.

Since this entire episode takes place in the alternative universe, we're going to dispense with the cute Fauxlivia and Walternate names for the most part. If it becomes necessary to talk about both counterparts, we will. Otherwise, assume I'm talking about "Over There."

The case of the week was pretty straightforward, if something very specific to the other universe. With avian flu a real problem, the scientist who was working toward a cure hit a real setback when the sheep died out. That's because he was tracking an enzyme in a parasitic beetle that could only live in them.

He modified it for humans, but it is lethal for them. Nevertheless, it looks like he chose to sacrifice himself in the end and his death may lead to a cure. That would certainly be a boon to Olivia's boyfriend Frank's line of work.

I say Olivia's boyfriend, but of course that isn't necessarily the case right now, is it? See, Dr. Silva, the aforementiond sacrificial lamb (sorry, I couldn't help myself!), had Olivia captured and tricked everyone into thinking she was infected. A bit convenient she had a burst of morning sickness at the appropriate time, wasn't it?

That's right, as lbrown2293 predicted, Fauxlivia is pregnant. And as she's six weeks along, that will make Peter the father. Not so easy to see which Olivia he's going to pick now, is it? As for Dr. Frank, well he simply asked her if she loved the father. Her answer spoke volumes, so we know that the relationship she forged with Peter was real and had love reciprocated both ways. That is hard to say no to.

Another thing that keeps getting emphasized is that these people "Over There" just don't seem like such bad people. At least when we see them simply interacting with one another in their own universe. They just have hard jobs and sometimes that puts them in difficult situations. And, of course, they see the "Over Here" universe as something that is actively trying to destroy them.

We even saw a conscience in Walter, as he refused Brandon's suggestion to test on children, despite indications their work with whatever crap they pulled out of "our" Olivia would work better on young test subjects. That's a line "our" Walter had absolutely no difficulty in crossing.

The more time we spend over there, the more difficult it is going to be for the audience to face that moment when we might have to lose one. We'll probably be rooting for both to survive, and you can bet that's exactly what the creators want us doing.

It was great seeing Lincoln selected to step in as the head honcho in Broyles' absence. Hopefully, it will become a permanent promotion. As much as I like seeing Charlie again, there's no denying how brilliant Lincoln has proven to be at his very difficult job.

Is it weird that I want a traveler's guide to the "Other Side." I want to know all the other differences between their universe and ours. I want to read a history of that world, as it seems to be so incredibly well thought out. If we can just get the show as big as 'Lost,' we'll probably get one eventually. Or shift it to The CW where it's current ratings would be smash-tacular!

In two weeks we face an episode titled '6 Months Later.' Does that mean something significant is going to happen next week, or is this time jump going to position us for something epic then? Maybe it has to do with Brandon's unspoken idea about how to bring Peter back.

I hope it's more than, "We tell him Olivia is pregnant with his child." Anyone could have come up with that plan, Mr. Big-Shot Scientist!

'Fringe' air Fridays, 9PM ET on Fox.

[Follow Jason, @ultraversion21, on Twitter.]

Watch the full episode here:

HanakoGal

This page has a list of all the things different between the 2 universes: http://www.fringebloggers.com/explore/fringe-differences-between-worlds/ since you mentioned wanting a "traveler's guide" to Over There.

February 18 2011 at 12:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
voidistant

I was just wondering, do you think maybe Peter will sacrifice himself to save both universes? I mean, if he is the root of its unbalance, so would his death even the slate?

Or maybe Walter will have to kill Peter to save his universe?

FOlivia's morning sickness was very conveniently timed. I'm wondering if while she was unconscious, if the good Dr didn't examine her and determine her unfit for a beetle host based on her pregnancy, and give her something to upset her stomach as a diversion?

February 14 2011 at 8:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pat

I want more backstory on Lincoln.I don't remember a version of him Over Here". I got very confused in the first half of this season. I must have missed something. I keep wondering,"Who is this guy? He seems important. Where'd he come from?"

February 13 2011 at 2:44 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Philip

You know the fact that all the sheep were gone made me think of P.K. Dick though there was nothing else in the story that did.

BTW don't they do abortions in the alternate universe? Or is that a subject nobody wants to go into. Yeah alt Walt is sure it's Peter's. But what if it's the immaculate conception. It is an alternate universe. . . .

February 13 2011 at 11:58 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Sarah

The title of the episode in 2 weeks has been changed. It is no longer '6 Months Later.' It's now: 'Subject 13'

February 12 2011 at 4:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lbrown2293

Well nothing surprised me more than see my name on this article, thank you for the credit LOL. I do agree with Sk1d though that this baby will be used as a test subject for the "crap" pulled out of our Olivia.

February 12 2011 at 3:51 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Sk1d

"The mind is infinitely possible at birth"

You know what that means... that fetus is about to become a lab rat.

February 12 2011 at 1:22 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Debbie Bitz

I agree that the pregnancy wasn't that much of a surprise. We probably all saw it coming. I am glad they didn't do the whole "It is Peter's but we don't want anyone to know" thing.
I have to admit, I love the "over there" people. I really wish they could bring Lincoln and Charlie to our side. They are great characters. I also have to say, I like the AltOlivia better than the one on our side. She seems so much more alive than the one in the real universe. it is hard to explain, she smiles, laughs and seems to truly enjoy her life where the "over here" Olivia seems to be so tortured. Understandable after all she has been through but still...

February 12 2011 at 12:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
d2a3v8i3d4

I think a lot of people saw the baby coming,in fact it really wasn't a surprise.The episode was a carrier for that and the charcater drama which was spot on brilliant.I do hope Fringe survives for another season.I'd root for a Lost like run but at this point another season is unclear so...

Anybody notice the car in the second beetle incident had a lic. plate of "APT6B" and next week's ep is titled "6B"?

February 12 2011 at 11:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply