April 23, 2014

Did CBS Reporter Serene Branson Have a Stroke On-Air?

by Jean Bentley, posted Feb 14th 2011 11:45AM
Serene BransonA video of CBS journalist Serene Branson flubbing her words while reporting on last night's Grammy results has gone viral -- but not for the reason you might think.

The 17-second clip shows Branson completely unable to pronounce any of the words she's trying to say as she slurs her way through the incomprehensible report. The Telegraph reports that Branson was hospitalized out of concern she might've suffered a stroke on-air, while the New York Daily News reports that she was examined by EMTs and sent home.

UPDATE: CBS 2 posted a statement about Branson's condition, saying "Serene Branson was examined by paramedics on scene immediately after her broadcast. Her vital signs were normal. She was not hospitalized. As a precautionary measure, a colleague gave her a ride home and she says that she is feeling fine this morning."

According to Branson's biography on the CBS Los Angeles site, the Los Angeles native is a two-time Emmy nominee. Watch the video after the jump.

Tony

She had what I have had for years. No doctor or hospital could ever tell me what is is. It is what I have experienced many times as a result of low blood sugar. I was taken to Saint Pete General hospital only to be accused of being on drugs (I have longish hair and never do drugs). I understand now that the name 'severe migraine with aura' may be what it is. Also, having infection problems (mine was dental infections)seems to exacerbate it. What do you think??? I welcome any comments on this. Tony

February 18 2011 at 8:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mitica1477

I really hope she is okay and remains that way.

February 15 2011 at 6:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shamrock33

Wow- I have had this happen several times! I was rushed to the hospital too- everyone thought I was having a stroke! But the doctors ran the tests- everything was ok. They told me it is called a "Silent Migraine".

It's weird cuz all the words make sense in your head, but those aren't the words that come out of your mouth! And, for me I sometimes also have tingling in the entire right side of my body, accompanied by a previous "optical migraine". There is no pain, no actual migraine headache, just these stroke-like symptoms. Other than that, you tend to be in a pretty good mood when it is happening!

I get a lot of milder episodes, without the loss of speech, the serious stroke-like ones don't happen more than once a year. I only know a couple people other than myself who get these! And it has nothing to do with nerves- I have gotten these at any hour of the day, but usually when my blood sugar drops too low (i'm hypoglycemic). If this reporter was working non-stop with no food, than that could easily be what happened! I'm sure she will be fine- I really don't think it was a stroke. Scary when it's on TV tho!

February 15 2011 at 5:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Shamrock33's comment
Tony

Exactly what I have experienceded many times as a result of low blood sugar. I was taken to Saint Pete General hospital only to be accused of being on drugs (I have longish hair and never do drugs). I understand now that the name 'severe migraine with aura' may be what it is. Also, having infection problems seems to exacerbate it. What do you think??? I welcome any comments on this. Tony

February 18 2011 at 8:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Julie and Joe

Sorry Jeff, I see you were replying to the coke head comment, not the stroke. My bad.

February 15 2011 at 6:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jon

I'm no expert, but that looks like classic stroke speech to me. She didn't slur her words or stumble though them like a drunk. She went from english to complete jibberish.

February 14 2011 at 2:19 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Abe Gurko

My theory is that she did too much blow while partying with the stars during the pre-show. This is a clear case of coke jaw. Read more about her sniffly little episode @imeanwhat http://bit.ly/f4bb3t

February 14 2011 at 2:06 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Abe Gurko's comment
Jeff Schader

If that was true, then the paramedics would have known that when they took her vitals genius.

February 14 2011 at 4:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jeff Schader's comment
Julie and Joe

She could have had a TIA..."genius" and last time i checked paramedics aren't neurosurgeons. Why do you have to be so mean?

February 15 2011 at 6:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down
Tony

Great!!! Immediately 'ass-u-me' drugs. Doctors did the same with me several times and I dont do any drugs.-

February 18 2011 at 8:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply