November 28, 2014

Grammys 2011 Show Recap: Highlights, Lowlights and Gaga

by Ryan McKee, posted Feb 14th 2011 12:15AM
Grammys 2011
This is TV Squad. We don't pretend to have a deep understanding of music and the hottest new artists. However, when the music industry decides to fill three hours of television time with their awards show, we feel an obligation to offer our opinion about it.

The performances were mostly great and the presenters were as awkward and cheesy as always. What follows is a recap from TV writer's point of view, someone who finds pleasure in watching huge television events and making snarky comments to an empty living room.

7:45 pm – Caught the end of Anderson Cooper's interview Lady Gaga on '60 Minutes.' Gaga drinks from a cup that has a loose diamond in it. When she polishes off her beverage, Cooper laughs uncomfortably and asks about the diamond. She pulls it from her lips, causing all sexual tension to be sucked from the room and surrounding area.

8:00 – Grammys begin with a montage of Aretha Franklin's performances through the years. The video doubles as a cautionary tale against a lifetime of fried food.

8:01 – Presenter L.L. Cool J says, "Aretha will always be the Queen of Soul!" The crowd cheers and camera cuts to Justin Bieber, who looks confused or disappointed he cannot be the queen of soul.

8:03 – Christina Aguilera, Martina McBride, Florence Welch, Yolanda Adams and Jennifer Hudson sing a medley of Aretha Franklin songs. We hope to catch Aguilera looking at lyrics written on her hand, but she doesn't stumble ... until the end of the song when she literally stumbles and falls.

8:21 – Oh, Train sings that song that's in all those Samsung commercials and 'CSI: NY' episodes? Good for them for winning best Pop Duo or Group, despite being old enough to date Bieber's mom.

8:22 – Ricky Martin introduces Lady Gaga while wearing tight silver pants that may have been stolen from Gaga's wardrobe.

8:23 – Gaga enters stage in egg-like pod that was probably left over from the movie set of 'Cocoon.' She sings her brand new song 'Born This Way,' which sounds like a cover of 'Express Yourself.'

8:38 – Lenny Kravitz enters dressed as a transvestite and introduces Muse. The band's lead singer, Matthew Bellamy, plays a doubleneck guitar, even though he only plays three strings.

8:52 – Singers Bruno Mars, B.o.B. and Janelle Monae perform together and completely rock the house. They get a biggest crowd response thus far, proving yet again Hollywood loves youth.

8:58 – Oh yeah, Jewel's a country singer. Woops, she just lost the best Female Country Vocal category to Miranda Lambert. Maybe she'll try Gospel next.

9:06 – We see a video from 2007 of Usher and Justin Bieber's first trip into the studio. Like any good Canadian, Bieber wears a hockey jersey.

9:10 – Jaden Smith performs on stage with Bieber. He sounds more like Kris Kross than Fresh Prince, but his dad still looks proud in the crowd.

9:14 – Muse beats Neil Young and Jeff Beck for Best Rock Album, give most awkward acceptance speech.

9:21 – Lady Gaga beats Justin Bieber for Best Pop Vocal Album. During her acceptance speech, she says Whitney Houston is her inspiration. Which means Gaga will get crazier with age.

9:30 – Bob Dylan stumbles on stage looking confused, finds microphone and isn't sure what to do with it, so he begins growling into it.

9:33 – Camera cuts to Jennifer Lopez in crowd after Bob Dylan's performance. Her bored frown says she wouldn't pass the folk legend on to Hollywood if this were 'American Idol.'

Lady Antebellum Grammys 20119:45 – Lady Antebellum wins Best Country Song for 'Need You Now.' It seems whichever artist performs right beforehand ends up winning the following category.

9:48 – Cee Lo Green, dressed like a cartoonish peacock, sings the version of 'F--- You' that he sung on 'Saturday Night Live,' 'Forgot You.' His all muppet band is joined by a tone-deaf muppet that looks just like Gwyneth Paltrow.

9:57 – Neal Patrick Harris introduces Katy Perry and brags about having sex with her on 'How I Met Your Mother,' which left him "more than a little confused."

9:59 – During her performance, Perry plays home video of her wedding to Russell Brand. C'mon, they can afford a professional wedding videographer.

10:12 – Seth Rogen outs Miley Cyrus for "getting high" with him "backstage." And then he does his best to sound tough while introducing Eminem's performance with Rihanna and Dr. Dre.

Esperanza Spalding Grammys best new artist10:21 – Esperanza Spalding looks more surprised than Justin Bieber that she beat him for Best New Artist.

10:28 – 'Glee's' Matthew Morrison introduces the most boring and awkward performance of the show, Music Cares CEO Neil Portnow. His mission seems earnest, but he shouldn't speak in front of people.

10:35 – Mick Jagger performs immediately following the "In Memoriam," as if to say, "Look I'm still alive!"

10:47 - Barbra Streisand says, "Well if Jagger is going to perform, so am I." And she does.

10:52 - Eminem wins Best Rap Album. He looks unsure of how to hug presenter Nicki Minaj in her crazy leopard-print outfit.

10:59 - Rihanna begins her performance with Drake with long stripper-like butt swivel. Is she the only female allowed to sing on Hip hop songs anymore?

11:02 – Jennifer Lopez and Gollum from 'The Lord of the Rings' (Marc Anthony) present Record of the Year to Lady Antebellum.

11:11 – Jason Segel introduces Arcade Fire's performance, but first makes fun of Lady Gaga's outfits. How many 'HIMYM' writers did it take to write that original joke premise?

11:13 - Arcade Fire sounds great, but cannot watch due to super intense strobe lights and the fact it's being recorded by a video camera mounted on a bicycle. The performance should have been accompanied by a warning for those with epilepsy.

11:23 – Barbra Streisand awards Album of the Year to, 'The Suburbs?' Everyone cheers when they figure out she's talking about Arcade Fire's album name.

11:24 – Instead of an awkward acceptance speech, Arcade Fire plays another song, "Because we like music," lead singer Win Butler said.

Tell us: What did you think of the Grammys 2011 ceremony?

Get more Grammy Awards news, Grammys red carpet photo galleries and more at AOL Music

Jrock84

I was impressed by the Gaga performance, even if it was "madonna-ish" which I agree I heard it from the other room and asked my sister if Madonna was performing ha-ha! Bauf, your comment was perfect, I loved it. Bieber should not have won anything; I think the academy felt if they awarded him a Grammy everyone would know the awards were a sham, kind of like the Nobel Peace Prize. I did enjoy Jason Segels comment however, I am a big fan of his, my question is was he poking fun at Gaga or everyone else for criticizing her outfits? I get it Gaga you are a weirdo with talent, but why the outlandish costumes? I would think a dress code would be in place, great stars are in everyone’s presence there, dress accordingly, wear your crazy outfits on stage like Cee lo, that performance cracked me up BTW. And someone answer me one more question, I love new artists, Adele is a great one but who the heck is Arcade Fire? I have never heard of them and their closing song was horrible. Just me but I thought there were many more talented people that deserved that award.

February 15 2011 at 11:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marine Paladin

This years Grammy's was a joke, I strongly believe the deaf community was the individuals that voted. I love how no names were beating famous established artist. WHAT A JOKE....AND CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE TELL ME THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ALBUM OF THE YEAR, AND RECORD OF THE YEAR??

February 15 2011 at 12:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Thomas

Ah the Grammys.
Aren’t these the guys who gave Fab Morvan and Rob Pilatus (Milli Vanilli) a Grammy for best new artist? Or giving Jethro Tull best heavy metal band? Baha Men win Grammy for "Who let the dogs out", Beatles don’t for "Yesterday". Eminem can’t catch a cold there, but Justin Bieber can?
The Grammys truly reflect the best in current music.
Gotta love the Grammys!!

February 14 2011 at 9:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ken

I noticed a major exclusion during the ' In Memoriam" segment. On Super Bowl Sunday, Gary Moore passed away in Spain. Gary Moore was a major influence on numerous guitar players over the decades and had an illustrious career with Thin Lizzy and an amazing solo career, yet little is noted in the press and for the largest musical event of the year to ignore his passing is truly a sad shame. To see evidence of the heart and soul in his playing, go to You Tube or Google video and pull up 'Empty Rooms' or the live version of 'Still Got the Blues for You" and you will never forget the passion or emotion evident in his playing and singing.

Rest in Peace Gary...you are remembered...and missed.

February 14 2011 at 4:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan

The only part of the show that didn't make me cringe was the wonderful performance of Mumford and Son...which you of course forgot to mention. As usual, TVSquad seems to rush through its review/recaps...
It was funny to see Bieber getting upset every time he was beaten by someone. I really don't understand the hype.

Also, Bieber and Eminem were both lip synching. It couldn't have been more obvious.

February 14 2011 at 3:01 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Karel

The stage fell flat compared to 2010 MTV awards, that stage was alive, 3D, 2011 grammy's were same old 2D stage, and the lighting was horrible, Gaga was dancing in the dark, everybody was. And so many no names were winning awards. Worst grammy's I've seen in a while.

February 14 2011 at 2:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike Siroky

I thought the best was the preshow presented by TV Guide. The doofus who was the main interviewer asked one of the Glee gals for a scoop on the Valentine Day's show and she quietly told him it had already aired. Way to be cool, fool. Then, at the end of the line, hilarity ensued all show long as the alleged fashion expert kept trying in vain to get his "good friends" to stop and talk. None did. He then tried to sell the idea someone had talked to him off air. Yeah, like a network with cameras is going to skip the most important part. Finally, he kept visually explaining who was wearing what despite the fact the initial doofus had already interviewed most of them close up and we all had seen and heard it already. Guess there was no communication link between the studio best buds. Yikes. What a hot mess.

February 14 2011 at 1:52 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Kari

Dear Ryan Mckee: Why so negative? It was a great show, although Neil Young deserved to win more than Muse. I'm so happy that Arcade Fire won album of the year. It's so well deserved!!!! All in all I loved the show:)

February 14 2011 at 10:14 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Allison

I enjoyed the mix of styles with the performances, but I have to complain that the production was terrible. It was mostly the lighting (although the sound wasn't great either). I'm guessing there were over 10 times where the camera went to someone and it was totally dark.

February 14 2011 at 9:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ba Ba Bauf

Wow, that was just a brutal show. First of all, it's nice they did the opening tribute to Aretha Franklin, but I honestly never heard of half the women who were singing, and it felt like the medley of songs they performed went on for about 20 mins. Also, can Christina Aguilara ever sing a song without doing that thing where every time she hits a high note she has to raise her hand in the air, as if to illustrate that the note was, indeed, high?

I'm no Lady Gaga fan, but I thought she did alright up there. The song was decent enough and quick, and I respect that she actually sang live vocals while doing all the dancing. I can think of a whole bunch of "current" singers who only perform to pre-recorded vocals. Yeah, the song sounded a bit Madonna-ish, but so what? Madonna hasn't been relevant in 15 years, so someone might as well keep the style going.

Oh, and THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU to the Academy for NOT awarding a Grammy to Justin Bieber! The more I see that kid, the more I wonder if he realizes his career is like a ticking clock, just counting down to the moment he hits puberty and can reach those notes with his little girl-voice anymore, and all the sad little girls will forget about him and move on to the next fad.

Speaking of fads, was Ricky Martin wearing Jeggings tonight? I only know about Jeggings because Conan O'Brien did a whole bit about them a few months ago. For real though, is Ricky Martin now trying to make-up for all the years he was in the closet? Is it like, he feels now that he's out, he wants to just parade around in women's clothing? Dude, we get it, you're gay, and that's fine and all, but don't use the Grammy's to express your repressed flamboyance, it just looks weird. That, along with the shadowy beard that's sort of reminicent of George michael in his "Wham" days.

One last thing. When Lady Antebellum accepted their award, the girl mentioned that they performed their song on the Grammy's last year. If their album is already over a year old, how was it still eligible for a Grammy? Is there no statute of limitations on how old an album can be and still be Grammy-eligible? If not, can we get "Thriller" back in contention, cause that was a pretty good album. Oh, and maybe something by "The Beatles". How about "Sgt. Pepper"? I mean since any old material can be nominated. I'm just saying.

By the way, does anyone think Bieber had any idea who Aretha Franklin, Mick Jagger, Kris Kristoferson, and Barbra Streisand are? I'm thinking no.

February 14 2011 at 3:19 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Ba Ba Bauf's comment
Alli

Wow, that's a very well written and well punctuated critique. Though somewhat lengthy, I read it to the end. Thumbs up!

February 14 2011 at 11:33 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Alli's comment
Ba Ba Bauf

Thank you very much. I try. I'm no Ryan McKee, but I try.

February 14 2011 at 5:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down