July 30, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Supercomputer Watson Battles 'Jeopardy!' Champs (VIDEO)

by Jason Hughes, posted Feb 14th 2011 11:18PM
IBM's Watson, 'Jeopardy'IBM's artificial intelligence software took on a major challenge starting today, as it appeared alongside two of the best players ever on the 'Jeopardy!' (Weeknights, 7PM ET on ABC) stage. It was a test of the program's abilities to respond to natural language questions, and one of the final chapters in its journey toward completion.

It took several years to get Watson to a point where it could answer questions quickly enough to even compete on the show, but audiences were delighted to see the computer hanging in there quite well against the big boys.

There were some obvious glitches, as when it answered "What is leg?" It apparently couldn't extrapolate the more complex question, "What is 'he's missing a leg'?"

At another point, Watson gave the same wrong answer Ken Jennings had just given, but these would seem to be minor hiccups of the otherwise very impressive computer system.

So how did Watson do? By the end of the first day, it was tied with Brad Rutter in the lead with 5,000. Watson will compete for the next two days as part of its experimental run before it moves on to establishing itself as humanity's overlord and subjecting us all to its will.

simongratz419

kinda odd that it thought Toronto is a city in the USA. Also, it bets weird amounts.

The judges should have ruled against the "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" answer. The clue asked for "who" and that would be Maxwell, not "what," which would be his silver hammer.

February 17 2011 at 8:45 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
sunnithedyegirl

It seems like the whole show was rigged. Especially that last question about Toronto being a US city. I think the computer woudl know that was a city in Canada. It's just suspicious because it did so well on the other questions. And I agree it bets very odd amounts. I'm not totally sold.

February 16 2011 at 1:44 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
jpdo

February 16 2011 at 12:29 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
David Shrode

can ibm's watson work with video questions ?

February 16 2011 at 12:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gargore3

Actually, this show gave me a tad of narcolepsy myself!! lol

February 15 2011 at 5:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gargore3

Oh my, it just came on for day two and is already boring as hell....Talking, talking, TALKING! Yesterday it was ten mins. before they started and today is is already well over five...B O R I N G.

February 15 2011 at 5:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian Wunderman

I think we are watching history in the making. Will this be the new format, no , but what a concept. People playing in an intreractive game with thought process. Amazing. Props to all the people who put this together. The normal Jeopardy will be back next week but until then let us glimpse into the future with amazement. Also I heard that the production accountant on the show is really hot.

February 15 2011 at 4:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
arabesque316

Think of all the brilliant minds that put Watson together! In America we seem to gravitate toward athletes and entertainers for so call role models. Their I.Q and weight would barely reach a hundred! I'll take brains over brawns any day of the week!

February 15 2011 at 3:39 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
arabesque316

February 15 2011 at 3:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
annula6979

Pretty sure Watson's gonna become the new Skynet. Just like the Turk.

February 15 2011 at 2:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply