July 25, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Tim McGraw Learns His Ancestor Migrated with Elvis Presley's Family (VIDEO)

by Aimee Deeken, posted Feb 14th 2011 7:10AM
Tim McGraw on 'Who Do You Think You Are'Tim McGraw -- who grew up poor in Louisiana, sold all his possessions and headed to Nashville for a new life -- discovered one of his German ancestors did a similar thing -- many, many generations before him.

On 'Who Do You Think You Are?' (Fri., 8PM ET on NBC), the country music star learned that his eighth great-grandfather, Johan Jost Hayd, emigrated to America at age 24 and worked hard for a better quality of life, first for the British Navy and then as a farmer. Eventually he became one of the largest landowners in Virginia at the time.

The geneagoly expert had more news: A family by the name of "Preslar" was in Hayd's migration group. The last name was later changed to "Presley" -- as in Elvis. "His ancestors were traveling with your ancestors to America," the expert told McGraw. The singer chuckled and said, "Maybe they were jammin' [together], you know, on the boat on the way over!"

Watch the full episode here:

marcieredford

My mom is related to Elvis as is Tim McGraw, they are both cousins of hers which I think is so grand!

April 06 2011 at 12:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
glandi1251

This web site is now run by the biggest liberals at huffington post but look at all the reply's from us conservatives, why are we even on this site.

February 15 2011 at 10:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
todolist

McGraw's ancestry show was awesome!

February 15 2011 at 1:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Elisa

This is so cool!!! My grandmother told me that you need to know where you are from to know where you are going. She always said that life was like a cycle and sometimes certain things, or decisions can change that cycle. It is good to know that most us did put our blood sweat and tears into what we have accomplished and not just someone else's. Sometimes all of our blood, sweat and tears do not get us very far; but at least WE TRIED!
I can go back to my great grand parents and maybe great-great. But I would like to know about the non-indian part of my family. Who they were an so forth? I have gone into Ancestry.com but all I get are family seals, banners and shields. Love this show!!

February 14 2011 at 4:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply