April 19, 2014

Sara Rue Talks 'Shedding for the Wedding' (VIDEO)

by Maggie Furlong, posted Feb 17th 2011 12:00PM
Sara Rue, 'Shedding for the Wedding'As a Jenny Craig spokesperson, actress Sara Rue knows all about trying to lose weight in front of the public eye. As a bride-to-be, she knows there's added pressure to look good on your wedding day.

"You've got a goal in sight. You've got a date," Rue says, with the date for her own May nuptials fast approaching. "You have an idea of how you want to look on your wedding day ... It's a pretty powerful motivator."

Which makes her the perfect host for 'Shedding for the Wedding' (premieres Wednesday, Feb. 23, 9PM ET on The CW), a new reality weight-loss show that helps engaged couples get healthy together. But unlike some other weight-loss series, this show focuses on more than competition.

"It's not just about losing weight. It's about these couples coming together and sort of bonding and becoming even closer before their weddings," she explains.

I caught up with Rue to hear all about her new show, what attracted her to the job and the biggest difference between her weight-loss journey and the journeys of the 'Shedding' contestants. "I didn't have cameras in my face all the time, and I didn't have trainers screaming at me and challenges ... So in a way, they had it rougher than I did."

Rue even admitted that the weigh-ins might be the hardest thing of all -- a sentiment most women can understand: "I couldn't do that. I couldn't get on a scale publicly in front of people and take my shirt off and stand there in my sports bra."

They've shot enough episodes that Rue knows which couples made it to the end, but with the contestants now continuing their healthy lifestyles at home until the finale, she still doesn't know who will win. But she does promise viewers "some seriously cool transformations."

So, smart idea for a series, or are you over weight-loss reality shows? Sound off in the comments.

Follow Maggie on Twitter @TheTVShowGirl.

Wedding Videos

Ha shedding for the wedding, catchy!

February 23 2011 at 12:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JOHNNYBAGS

OH BABY! NEED I SAY MORE?

February 22 2011 at 12:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jfilia

Can anyone explain the reason to lose weight for the wedding and then pack it back on again??? Doesn't this epitomize women's desire for everything 'fake' in their lives??? i.e. fake boobs, fake lips, plastic surgery, lose weight for the wedding only to pack it all back on again... This is a real strong statement about the mentality of american women - everything in your life is fake, fairy tale, NOT REALLY WHO YOU ARE!!!! And we wonder why the divorce rate is so high... women want to live in a fantasy and refuse to accept reality... but they can say - look how great I looked on my wedding day (it lasted a whole month)... pathetic...

February 22 2011 at 10:22 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
John Sbobet

You Beautifull!!

February 22 2011 at 10:15 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
jackets34

What I have never understood are the women who lose weight for their wedding and then pack on 30 pounds in the 3 months after the wedding. How about trying to stay in decent shape after the wedding band goes on your finger? And that goes for guys too! Please stop telling me how overweight your wife is when you are packing a major beer belly yourself. People who love one another should at least attempt to look attractive for each other.

February 22 2011 at 9:17 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
JOEYBAGADONUTS

I ALWAYS THOUGHT SARA RUE WAS CUTE EVEN BEFORE SHE LOST THE WEIGHT.

February 22 2011 at 8:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply