November 27, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

'American Idol': Two Contestants Make Up Their Own Lyrics to 'I Hope You Dance' (VIDEO)

by Jason Hughes, posted Feb 18th 2011 12:30AM
Scotty McCreary messes up the lyrics of 'I Hope You Dance' - 'American Idol'One of the first things Randy Jackson told the contestants of 'American Idol' (Thu., 8PM ET on FOX) was to absolutely never, ever, ever forget their lyrics. So of course that's exactly what some of them did.

There are two avenues available to you when you're standing on that stage and the lyrics vanish from your mind. You can stop completely and become an emotional wreck, as Ashley Sullivan did, or you can simply forge ahead, making up your own words as you go along.

The latter option was the path chosen by both Scotty McCreery and Tatynisa Wilson. Both were tackling Lee Ann Womack's 'I Hope You Dance.' Luckily, the producers of the show were generous enough to show us the hilarious "alternate" lyrics the pair came up with.

'American Idol' airs Wednesdays and Thursdays, 8PM ET on FOX.

Let's see how they did and compare.

Here's the lyrics as sung by Lee Ann Womack:
I hope you never lose your sense of wonder
You get your fill to eat
But always keep that hunger
May you never take one single breath for granted
God forbid love ever leave you empty handed
I hope you still feel small
When you stand by the ocean
Whenever one door closes, I hope one more opens
Promise me you'll give faith a fighting chance

Scotty McCreary's interpretation:
I hope you still feel small
When you stand beside the ocean
I said this zone zoo talk and nuts of wonder
Nang da wonger un your jeans your fightin' chance

Tatyna Wilson's variation:
I hope you never lose the wonders of your senses
You get the fuel to eat
But always keep your hunger
May you never take advantage of this broken
Then thunn oh oh ohhhh

So, how'd they do? Wilson was closer, but 'nuts of wonder' and 'wonger un your jeans' are pretty amazing lines. Sorry, Tatynisa, but we're going to have to give Scotty the creativity award.

'American Idol' airs Wednesdays and Thursdays at 8PM ET on Fox.

Dotson Sheila

SCOTTY!!!! U R AWESOME, KEEP GOING U GOT THIS N THE BAG!!! I VOTE FOR U TILL FINGERS ALMOST FALL OFF!! SCOTTY NEXT AWESOME " IDOL"

April 15 2011 at 8:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
show welcompage

what a voice & entertainer GOOD LUCK scotty 4/7/2011

we watch every one Les & Rachel Daniels

my grand daughter says he makes th e hair stand up on her arms hahha

April 07 2011 at 12:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jeawhipkey

Scottie, you are the best new country singer to come along in years. I have voted and voted for you. I love the fact that you know who you are and are not going to chang it. I really hope you win, and even if somebody screws up and you don't, you are going to be a BIG hit real soon. I am looking forward to buying your first album.

April 04 2011 at 2:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jeawhipkey

April 04 2011 at 2:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Selena Onstott-Niede

I think Scotty has a wonderful voice & should know that he's got that........

March 17 2011 at 4:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
brgladys

scotty very good hope to here you more

March 09 2011 at 10:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
brgladys

good job keep on sing.

March 09 2011 at 10:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jbmarine

this kid SCOTTY, ha, he will be the ,next american idol,,super star, there is nobody on there worth **** , this guys voice and at this age , these guys come around only once in a life time, ALL i have to say this kid has no problem in winning this ,,,,,,,,,,,,,

March 02 2011 at 7:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
coni jo

Scotty Loved u from the very first Day u are great I am voting for u ...I couldn't image being in front of the judges an singing m y nerves would get the best of me!!!!

March 01 2011 at 10:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SWEETIE

Scotty your amazing! You can do it so many people are voting for you!!

March 01 2011 at 9:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply