October 31, 2014

'Torchwood's' Eve Myles Talks Gwen, Motherhood and 'Miracle Day' (VIDEO)

by Maureen Ryan, posted Feb 21st 2011 3:30PM
'Torchwood,' which follows the adventures of a tight-knit team fighting alien threats, has gone through a lot of changes over the years, but two things have remained constant: Captain Jack Harkness and Gwen Cooper.

The new season of the compelling sci-fi drama, which arrives this summer on Starz, may be the biggest departure yet. Much of the show's fourth season is being shot in the United States, and the events of 'Torchwood: Miracle Day' will transpire in various locations worldwide.

Gwen and Captain Jack will both be back, but their lives will be different. Gwen, for one thing, is a "mum" now, as actress Eve Myles explains in the video below.

As fans of 'Torchwood' no doubt know, Bill Pullman has joined the cast of 'Torchwood: Miracle Day' as a slippery criminal named Oswald Danes, Mekhi Phifer is playing CIA agent Rex Matheson, Lauren Ambrose has taken the role of PR agent Jilly Kitzinger, and those actors are joined by fellow cast members Alexa Havens, Arlene Tur and Dichen Lachman.

I'll have much more on what's next for 'Torchwood' in coming weeks, and there's a bit on the new season's premise below the video, but first, let's hear from Myles on how life has changed for Cooper, Torchwood's intrepid ex-policewoman. (Please note that, contrary to the tagline on the video below, the show's exact return date has not been confirmed by Starz, which has only said "summer" for 'Miracle Day's' arrival. However a July arrival for the new season of the show is quite probable.)

If you don't want to know the premise of 'Miracle Day,' which is revealed in the new season's opening minutes, look away now.

As creator Russell T Davies explained in this recent interview, 'Torchwood' has morphed into a show that is about dropping a big idea on modern society and seeing how people react. The "big idea" of 'Miracle Day' is that, one day, people on Earth stop dying. At first, this seems like a great thing, but this unexpected development soon turns into a disaster in terms of overcrowding, etc.

Follow @MoRyan on Twitter.

FEARtalker

Created by the makers of Torchwood (Dan Turner and James Moran), comes a new six-part thriller; It's a Saw meets Se7ven web series. Find out more on FEARnet http://www.fearnet.com/news/b22786_coming_soon_fearnet_us_premiere_of_girl.html

June 10 2011 at 1:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mlannen1

I am both shocked and happy to hear Torchwood is comming back in the summer 2011. I lived in the USA when it first was showen, now retired in the Philippibnes. Looking foreward to the return.
MKL

April 21 2011 at 2:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gate

Hearing that Gwen was coming back with Torchwood about killed any prospect of me watching the show. She's right up there with Sam from SG-1 (who at least started out fine) as a female character full of can-do-no-wrong even when she does. I found her repellent, and I still do.

February 22 2011 at 12:29 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Gate's comment
Craig Ranapia

Have we been watching the same show? If anything, Gwen is a character who frequently screws up horribly (and with serious, often fatal, consequences) with the very best intentions. Hell, she cheats on her finace, can't handle the guilt and confesses but wimps out by dosing him with a drug that wipes his memory. Doesn't sound terribly saintly to me.

February 22 2011 at 3:59 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Craig Ranapia's comment
Gate

Craig, you didn't read my post closely enough. I dislike Gwen intensely BECAUSE she did all those things, yet still comes up smelling like roses, not to mention having an equally repellent unrequited attraction for Jack. She is NOT my definition of a hero--not even a flawed hero. She's simply horrible. I don't understand what Davies ever liked about the character, or why he thinks she such the s--t.

February 22 2011 at 11:35 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down
Craig Ranapia

@Gate: I'm pretty sure I did, but thanks for the clarification anyway. Just think that's a reading we're going to have to agree to disagree on - hey, if we all liked the same things for the same reasons what a boring world it would be.

February 23 2011 at 1:34 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down
katie71483

I love Torchwood and even though I'll miss many of the old characters, the new additions sound really interesting. I'm particularly excited about the addition of Dichen Lachman. She was one of the best things about Dollhouse and I'm thrilled she'll be working again.

February 21 2011 at 5:32 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to katie71483's comment
Craig Ranapia

I'll co-sign that. Still kind of disappointed that rumours Enver Gjokaj was joining the cast didn't pan out. No disrespect to Dichen (who was awesome), but for me he was the real "who the frak is that?" discovery of 'Dollhouse' and the two of them made one seriously creepy-cool kind-of couple. :)

February 23 2011 at 1:38 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Matt Marquissee

I totally agree with both comments that were posted!

February 21 2011 at 5:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ann Byassee

Gwen Cooper is one of my all-time favorite female characters on tv, period. She's so real and so compassionate, but so strong at the same time. She makes a perfect partner (in the non-sexual sense!) for Captain Jack Harkness, and she grounds the show in a way he couldn't possibly, considering his history. I will miss Ianto and the "old" Torchwood, but I am interested to see the newly even-more-epic scale of the show. They have some interesting new cast members, as well. Torchwood is a great ride, but it is a thoughtful show as well. I will be glad to see it--and Gwen and Jack--back again.

February 21 2011 at 4:25 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Katja

I know not everyone will agree with me, but I LOVE her Welsh accent! She'd be completely different without it... That and the gap between her teeth. She's comes across as a person, not some airbrushed tv personality.

Oh, and can't wait for more Torchwood. Children of Earth was amazing...

February 21 2011 at 4:06 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply