October 22, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Billy Bush and Mackenzie Phillips Clash Over Her Incest Revelation (VIDEO)

by Donald Deane, posted Feb 23rd 2011 1:45PM
Billy Bush and Mackenzie Phillips Clash Over Her Incest RevelationOn 'Access Hollywood Live' (weekdays, syndicated), Billy Bush and Mackenzie Phillips clash over her public confession of a 10-year consensual sexual relationship with father John Phillips. Bush strongly argues that such a matter is best handled privately, but Phillips says she has a responsibility to speak out.

"Can this thing not be dealt with privately?" asked Bush. "To all the people who don't want to see it on TV, why can't it be dealt with on the couch?"

"So many people who are survivors of incest feel alone. There's no one for them to look to and go, 'Hey, if she can talk about this, I can talk about it. I can help effect a change,'" Phillips responded.

Bush remains undeterred, however, and says incest is a topic he doesn't even want to discuss. "I told my executive producer I don't want to do this," he said. "I think it should be a private thing and I don't book the show."

Still, Bush softens somewhat and admits he has sympathy for Phillips' plight. "I sometimes am concerned with what gets on the [TV] screen," he said, "but I hate what you went through."

Jenny

If I was an incest or rape survivor I would be even more ashamed now because of what Billy Bush said. I'm glad that he had such a perfect wholesome life that he thinks certain things should be swept under the carpet. I was ashamed of being bipolar until I read about all the celebs that admitted that they were too. Incest survivors should have the same ability to feel like they are not alone. If he can't handle the job he ought to be fired. How every insensitive he was.

May 01 2011 at 3:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tami

This was the first time I watched this show and the last time. I'm looking everywhere to comment in regard to Billy Bush. There isn't a section on Access Hollywood and I know why. They should fire this guy for the way he spoke to Mackenzie Philips. What's wrong with him? If he couldn't handle the interview, he should have excused himself. It's a pity we have people like this walking around on this planet, they shouldn't put him on television. Kudos to Mackenzie for seeing this guys short-comings and blowing him off. She's getting victimized twice. Once for being raped, now for informing the public that we shouldn't be ashamed, that there is help and your life isn't over. I can't believe it. He told his producers he's too delicate and couldn't hack it and they made him do the interview anyway. What a pity. In any event, I'll never watch the show again because of his callous remarks to a woman who was raped.

April 08 2011 at 11:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cailey Gardner

Tell NBC and its affiliates to FIRE Billy Bush! Sexual abuse survivors will NOT be silent any longer. Abuse thrives in silence. Billy Bush is who is inappropriate for tv - not this topic. Sign the petition: http://www.gopetition.com/petition/43354.html

February 28 2011 at 5:51 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Tara Shennan

What a jerk!

Rape and abuse need to be talked about. If it makes him uncomfortable then he should take it up with his bosses not attack a brave survivor for speaking out.

Child abusers, in particular, rely on their victims keeping quiet and not standing up for themselves. Asking a victim to keep her story secret is tantamount to being a rape apologist. If he hated what she went through so much he would want there to be awareness of incest. He would want other victims to feel inspired into releasing their own secret shame.

February 27 2011 at 3:14 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Cailey Gardner

Actually grrdgal, Mackenzie has finally come out and said that she sees now that there is NO SUCH THING AS CONSENSUAL INCEST. It is an oxymoron. She was groomed from a young age by her father and what happened was RAPE. She credited Dr. Drew (and a large community of survivors) for helping her to see that what happened was NOT her fault . Billy Bush crossed a line and needs to be held accountable for his actions. Incest NEEDS to be spoken about because it is through secrecy that it flourishes. I seriously question anyones motives in trying to keep it quiet - sounds like perpetrator behavior to me.

February 26 2011 at 9:57 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Randa

oh and whenever talking about celebs' issues Charlie, Gibson etc he always acts like an expert. He needs a meeting pronto with Dr. Drew about abuse (of any kind). His superiority always bothered me and yes shut the tv off like she says if you want to bury your head in the sand. All the cruelties like the FLDS church it's all private by his saying ya know it should be kept quiet like it is a shameful act by victims... and it heals/empowers victims emotionally/mentally to confront monsters- last I checked criminal behavior, assault is not private at least to the courts.

February 25 2011 at 5:06 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Randa

ummmm so it is ok to ask completely inappropriate private details between actors, couples, Billy? What a hypocrite! Disgusting. Rape, sexual assault, addiction, domestic violence, mental issues etc is private too I guess we should never talk about that too. What about Sheen? aren't you talking of his mental issues every SINGLE day?

This is the same reason I see given a la it's between a man and woman. Bush has disgusted me.

February 25 2011 at 2:21 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
grrdgal

Everyone who keeps referring to this as ABUSE, NOT TO MENTION getting in their digs about Fox and haters. HAVE NO IDEA OF WHICH OR WHOM THEY SPEAK. They need to gather facts BEFORE they post. 1) Mac Phillips has WRITTEN AND STATED...."She was A WILLING PARTICIPANT in SEXUAL RELATIONS with her father. SO ALL OF YOU BLEEDING HEARTS put your hankies away or failing that, FIND SOMEONE ELSE TO FEEL SORRY FOR. AS FOR BIASED REPORTING....DON'T MAKE ME LAUGH...FOX IS KING SOLOMON COMPARED TO THE REST OF THE MAINSTREAM MEDIA............Don't ask someone else about my referrence to Solomon......LOOK IT UP YOURSELF.

February 24 2011 at 12:25 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
grrdgal

Billy Bush WIMPED OUT. He should have told Miss Philips EXACTLY WHAT EVERYONE THINKS (knows really) SHE IS A LIAR . John Philips would have NEVER DREAMED OF "BEDDING" HIS OWN DAUGHTER. John WAS A LADIES MAN and for some reason, most women who met him, wanted him. She only cooked up this batch of BS, because SHE WAS BROKE AND HAD A BOOK NO ONE WAS INTERESTED IN READING. Of course the fact that EVERYONE KNOWS EVERYTHING about her life, SHE HAD TO COME UP WITH SOMETHING, NO ONE HAS HEARD BEFORE.....AND OF COURSE, NO ONE COULD PROVE HER A LIAR. THIS IS WHAT SHE CAME UP WITH. It only PROVES A POINT SOME PEOPLE WHO KNEW HER TRIED TO MAKE..............SHE REALLY WAS NOT WORTH THE EFFORT OF THOSE WHO TRIED TO HELP HER. MY QUESTION TO HER IS THIS, "WHY NOW MAC?? (BESIDES THE BOOK) IF THIS REALLY HAPPENED, WHY NOT ON ONE OR ALL OF THE MANY OCCASIONS WHEN YOU AND JOHN APPEARED TOGETHER ON SHOWS TALKING ABOUT REHAB AND ALL THAT GOES WITH IT......."INCEST".....TALK ABOUT A WORTHY SUBJECT. ADDICTION COUNSELORS DREAM ABOUT CLIENTS LIKE YOU. ON TOP OF THAT, BOTH PARTICIPANTS WERE CONSENTING....THATS LIKE HITTING THE LOTTERY..........TWICE. BUT REALLY, MAKING SUCH AN ACCUSATION AFTER YOUR FATHER IS DEAD, AND HAS NO WAY TO DEFEND HIMSELF........THATS ABOUT AS LOW AS ONE CAN GET. I HOPE YOU CAN LIVE WITH IT. BTW, I HOPE YOU HAVEN'T VISITED THIS PERVERSION ON YOUR OWN CHILDREN. AFTER ALL, YOU DID SAY YOUR WERE A WILLING PARTNER IN ALL OF THIS. .........ONE FINAL QUESTION. TO ALL THOSE OUT THERE WHO ARE READY TO SWALLOW THIS, HOOK, LINE AND SINKER. "WHY? WHY WOULD YOU TAKE THE WORD OF THIS WOMAN? SHE HAS BEEN AN ADDICT MOST OF HER LIFE, WHICH MEANS SHE IS PRACTICED AT ALL SORTS OF "CONS". IS READY TO DEFAME HER DEAD FATHER FOR THE MONEY IT WILL BRING FROM BOOK SALES.AND SOMEONE MENTIONED THE WORD "ABUSE". SHE WAS A "WILLING PARTICIPANT"......HER OWN WORDS. SO LETS NOT CONFUSE HER WITH ALL THE CHILDREN WITH "RANDY" UNCLES. ALTHOUGH MOST OR AT LEAST A GOOD NUMBER OF THEM ARE FULL OF IT TOO.

February 24 2011 at 11:55 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to grrdgal's comment
Nadja Judin

Actually, you are wrong - the whole band knew and Denny Doherty's daughter, Jessica has stated: "Tears are running down my face. Everything she said is true. My dad told me the awful truth. He was horrified at what John had done and knew all of it."

February 25 2011 at 10:47 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
underwater1964

Wow: and what would Billy Bush tell all the people who were sexually abused by priests (or other adults) as children? Shut up and deal with it in private because it makes him uncomfortable?

February 24 2011 at 7:45 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply