July 23, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

'Biggest Loser': Parents Throw the Weigh-In to Protect Their Children (VIDEO)

by Jason Hughes, posted Feb 23rd 2011 12:17AM
Deni throws the weigh-in, 'The Biggest Loser'Yeah, this whole article is a !SPOILER ALERT! for 'The Biggest Loser' (Tue., 8PM ET on NBC) so you might as well move on now if you haven't seen it.

Are we good? Okay, then.

After losing the Challenge to the Read Team, the Black Team took a fatalistic approach to the weigh-in. As such, the sacrifices of the parents among them seems noble on the surface, but it's also a statement that they didn't have faith in themselves or their team. So they completely sabotaged their own weigh-in.

But it was more than the Challenge loss that defeated them emotionally. It was the announcement of an additional Red Line that would automatically eliminate the person with the lowest weight loss. The parents decided they needed to ensure it wasn't the younger contestants, so that's exactly what they did.

Irene gained a pound, Jesse three, but nobody could touch Deni. Declaring all of the players her kids, she said she would do anything to protect them and did just that with an eight-pound weight gain.

"I'm sorry to tell you you are not 'The Biggest Loser'," host Alison Sweeney said.

"I'm the biggest winner," Deni said defiantly, leaving the game with her head held high.

Watch the full episode here:

KTWALKER

Moses did the right thing when he was worried about the possibility his daughter was vulnerable. He got her up early every morning for an extra workout. The message he sent was when things look tough work harder. If she would have lost anyway (she didn't of course, she lost a lot of weight), you can hold your head high, pick yourself up and continue. What was the message the black team sent the kids? Don't try hard when things look tough? Someone will always sacrifice for you? Not good life lessons. At some point the show will be over for all of them and if they want to continue to improve they have to learn to work hard, learn from defeats (none of us wins 'em all) and keep at it. Between Arthur's earlier treachery and this self-sacrifice ritual, I doubt the black team has a chance. At least I'm rooting for red.

February 24 2011 at 7:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Liz

I'm really disappointed with The Biggest Loser. Last nights (02/22/11) episode was not the correct message to be giving people that truely need to lose weight the right way! Yes, this is a TV show, and yes it's supposed to be entertaining, I understand that, but it's not a game, it's a new way of life. All of these people need to rethink their eating habits, and understand why they got to where they are today. I just hope in the future the producers of the show will reconsider sending this type of message across to the viewers of this awesome and inspiring show.

February 23 2011 at 6:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Liz's comment
bransonch

but it is a game.

February 24 2011 at 12:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
patsbest1

hey victor your an idiot get rid of ugly people like you you make me sick mind your own business no im not chunky but i dont belittle others

February 23 2011 at 3:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Charlene

Dang, Diane, do you hate fat people that bad? Who else do you hate? I weigh less than you, but I'm very close to people who struggle with their weight. Most of them were raised that way. My grandfather-in-law would try to feed my kids doughnuts before dinner because it would be another hour till we ate! I wouldn't let him. I know someone who had no self-esteem who was always talked down to, that food became their 'comfort food'. I know a guy who ate extra just to piss off his wife when she nagged about his weight. I've seen families who just don't know any other way to eat. I knew a girl who tried to join her friends in a modern dance class, but dropped out when she had to wear a leotard. (When I saw her three years later, she'd dropped the weight.)
Then we have those tempting commercials. I think cooking class should be a requred in schools so kids will learn to cook and eat better. Ask your kids how often they attend gym each week? Mine said once a week! They have only one recess. We had gym 5 days a week with 3 recess'. The teachers want all those days off. No. Take a break while they're at recess. Those kids are just going to go home and sit in front of a computer or lay on a couch all day. It's society that's hurting them. Stop making fun of them. They watch the show for encouragement. The drama is for society.

February 23 2011 at 3:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Victor

Seriously, how can the obese people in this country honestly expect the rest of us to have any compassion for the self imposed weight problems when you have big fat losers such as that one who does not even care less for her on health and well being? Me, I am fed up with the morbidly obese crying about their defects of character and refusal to do anything to even begin to improve themselves. I guess we can expect them to start bankrupting this country new health care system by demanding gastric bypasses and all the other quick fixes they fell they are 'Entitled" to. yes the piggies will be lining up to the public trough and the rest of us will pay the tab for their bad habits.

February 23 2011 at 1:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Victor's comment
bransonch

the baby boomers and the elderly are already bankrupting this country with their entitled social security and medicare...who cares if they worked their whole lives and paid into social security, who cares what they were promised. Money is definitely the most important thing in life. As for piggies, I say let's hang 'em high and save the cost of taking care of them. While we're at it let's do the same to smokers, the handicapped, the terminally ill, the elderly, and all those who are dragging down the economy with their so-called "entitlements"!

February 23 2011 at 2:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to bransonch's comment
Victor

Those people at least worked for years to put in tax money to pay for those "entitlements". Tell me how constantly shoving food into you maul like some big blubbery whale covers the cost of your future medical costs for surgery, diabetes issues and the slew of other medical needs the fat and lazy cost the health care industry ?

February 23 2011 at 2:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down
Ken

Couldn't have said it better than myself. Unless you have a disability or some type of glandular or hormonal problem you cannot control by yourself, I have no sympathy for those fat losers who bankrupt our healthcare system. How in the world is it fair that the cost of medicine and insurance in all aspects continue to skyrocket simply because a few morons are lazy their entire lives. Take some personal responsibility.

February 23 2011 at 4:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kat

The contestants need to be required to sign a no sabataging agreement! It is riduculous that this is allowed to happen and that this time it was "ok'd by the trainerd because it was for the kids!!! Moses was right, that isn't teaching anything! I was kinda rooting for the black team and am no forced to switch to the red with the lack of morals displayed by the black team!

February 23 2011 at 1:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tippy301

I weigh 350, know it's bad & when asked, give my weight in kilos, but every time I see Jillian, I get a raging case of THE MUNCHIES. Help me girl.

February 23 2011 at 1:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to tippy301's comment
Victor

Then do something about it and don't expect the rest of us to pick up the tab to cover the cost of caring for you because you lack what it takes to step away from a damn plate of food.

February 23 2011 at 2:00 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Diane

I have never once watched this program---not one episode, not one minute of one episode. What is entertaining about watching obese people try to lose weight? If they wanted to lose weight, not be on TV, they would have closed their mouths instead of shoveling tons of food into it, and gotten off of their asses and started exercising. Watching fatties jump around and nearly cause an earthquake with their flab is not my idea of fun. Glorifying a show like this is ridiculous. If I were as obese as the people on that show are, I'd be totally ashamed and embarrassed to go on national TV and let everybody see how much I weighed---350 pounds is nothing to be proud of or made public!! Nope---my 5'6", 115 pound body has no interest in looking at a screen full of fat, flabby bodies and people moaning, groaning and crying about how hard it is to do 30 seconds on a treadmill!!! Get a grip, you losers. I'll take you to my gym, and watch you do my workout----you'll all drop dead and have a heart attack within 5 minutes. The bottom line is that is you want to be healthy, and have a good body, then you do what is necessary to attain those goals. If you want to be an unhealthy fat-azz, then that's your decision.

February 23 2011 at 1:46 PM Report abuse -4 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Diane's comment
bransonch

Diane, I am appalled at your cruel and arrogant comments!
(a) did you really say you'd lead fat people to have heart attacks and die in your gym?
(b) isn't obesity a disease, whether mental or physical? and don't people who can't help themselves deserve to get help somewhere?
(c) do you really think people go on this show because they are proud of their obesity? Having failed on their own, these contestants are willing to endure public shame to become healthier. they are trying to do just what you recommended; in your words, "you want to be healthy, and have a good body, then you do what is necessary to attain those goals." For them, they need help.

February 23 2011 at 1:57 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
ltpaddleswebb

It's clear that it's time to change the rules. This type of behavior should be punished by a fine, or elimination of the offender and their partner. This show will continue to see their efforts overthrown by risk takers who are throwing their weigh-in for the results the cheater wants ... not the other players,. What happened to an even playing field? If this continues to happen it undermines the overall reason for the show. One tried it and now mamy of them are following in those footsteps. Stop it now or end the show.

She may not have been the Biggest Loser, but she certainly is the "Worst Loser" ... in a Big way. Horrible.

February 23 2011 at 1:46 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
bransonch

(1) if what the hosts say of this show is true, that people's lives are on the line, then why is it a game at all? Shouldn't everyone get to stay until they lose enough weight and until they learn to manage their eating and exercise habits? Are we turning life and death into a competitive game?
(2) this article says "the Black Team took a fatalistic approach to the weigh-in." "Fatalistic" means having to do with fate or destiny, controlled by fate, etc. It does not mean they felt like they had lost already or were ruined...I wish people paid as much attention to language as they do to mind-numbing television programs.

February 23 2011 at 1:45 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply