December 21, 2014

'V' Season 2, Episode 7 Recap

by Brad Trechak, posted Feb 23rd 2011 1:15AM
V['V' - 'Birth Pangs']

Several of the plot points for tonight's episode seemed to come out of left field. It's difficult to tell if these were planned in advance or off the cuff as a method to extend the story lines a little. I'm more inclined to think the latter due to the fact that they smack of poor writing.

There was a lot of concentration on the overall plans of the Visitors and we finally got an explanation as to why the human race isn't being raised as cattle at the moment. It does offer some interesting conjectures regarding the Visitors that I will get to shortly.

It bears repeating: It's an awful big coincidence that Tyler Evans happens to be one of the kids (which, including the ones that died, probably totaled hundreds out of a few billion people) that the Visitor pediatrician had in her care 18 years ago. Ensemble television drama is a small world.

Speaking of, notice how everyone in the Fifth Column global network speaks pretty good English? Even if it was the standard language for the group, there would have had to have been several accents among them.

If there was an explanation regarding how Ryan Nichols survived last week's violence, it escaped me. It's still tough to tell exactly whose side he's on at this point. Given the story line with his daughter, he's obviously going to have more to do soon. Did the writers actually put a hint of romance between Hobbes and Erica? That won't last.

Now we have a detailed explanation regarding the Visitor's motives, but it feels as if that is only part of the story. If the Visitors take DNA from various species, why are they only lizards? Shouldn't they have hints of other species? Perhaps they do and haven't shown it yet. Are they space nomads searching the universe for compatible races to their own? Are they simply raiding other species for DNA? What happened to their home planet exactly? I once hypothesized that they were sterile to a degree and this episode didn't disprove that.

I mentioned how the writing was sloppy. Here are two reasons that jumped out at me. First, this is the first we're learning about the other compatible males. Second, this is the first we learned of the "Queen Egg" back-up plan. These should have been hinted at previously. They seemed to come out of nowhere otherwise.

By giving Diana a communication orb, Lisa gave her a means of regaining her status as the Visitor Queen. She can now communicate with the outside world, including her own people. Chad Decker has also outed himself to Lisa, which could come back to haunt him later, because inevitably whatever Lisa knows, Diana will eventually also know.

It's a pretty good trick to simulate a bunch of different cities from the same studio lot. Kudos to the set designers for that. Even the haircutting equipment on the V ship has a futuristic glow.

Has it ever been explained why the Visitors have human names? Surely they each must have a name in their own language. Tyler is integrating so well with the Visitors that he's even losing his own human emotions.

This week's episode just didn't jump out at me. There were some cool visuals such as the doctor falling out of the window and incinerating, as well as some good CGI, but the story was somewhat flat. Last week's revelations and sudden deaths were more of a shock. The creators have three more episodes to knock some socks off at ABC. What did you think?

'V' airs Tuesdays at 9PM ET on ABC.

Richard Thurman

test

October 13 2011 at 12:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
richard

test

October 13 2011 at 12:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bryon Bella

I agree that there are holds in the plot, but they don't have time to make everything both flawless and interesting. Honestly all TV shows have plot lines that require suspending reality. Lost is a great example. They didn’t even explain all of the loose ends at the end and the actors didn’t even what was going on when they were interviewed. Hopefully this show isn’t that much of a mess but right now it could be if it gets canceled before wrapping up. I wish they would show someone eating rats or something like the old series. The scene when Anna ate her lover was pretty cool on my big HD TV with my DISH Network employee HD service. I could see every detail of her teeth and distended jaw. I really need the DISH HD because I have such a large TV otherwise the picture is really bad.

February 23 2011 at 11:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard Thurman

I can't get enough of this show!

February 23 2011 at 1:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bemassey120

This may be the first time we're hearing about other men being compatible, but honestly I came to the conclusion that Anna wasn't relying solely on Tyler a while ago. The more surprising thing was that there were only 29 (supposedly) successful compatible candidates from their rather widespread experimentations. Also, the fact that a boy lived in each of the cities the Visitor ships reside over makes this "plot twist" helpful in resolving questions we did have- now we know why those cities were chosen.

I do agree on Anna's back up plan being a cheat by the writers. But it also make sense that Anna would have a plan B and that she wouldn't mention it until it came time to use it.

February 23 2011 at 10:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Derek

I totally disagree here, the episode did just what this blog has complained of for weeks, it told us why the Vs are here, and why we're not just obliterated. I love this blog but it bugs me that when a great episode of a show like V comes along and addresses most of their shortcomings that the reviewers have pointed out, they just find more to pick apart! Amazing episode, pushes the show along to setup for what I believe will be a reveal of Anna's true intentions to the world in some fashion.

February 23 2011 at 9:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aaron

Kudos to everyone who enjoys V on any level for any reason.

I think "drinking game" is probably my best shot.
Like, drink every time a V looks like they're distracted by hemorrhoids.

February 23 2011 at 4:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hollandcl

If you try to make sense of every hows and whys, you won't enjoy it. Just suspend your disbelief and let the beautiful people seduced you. If you keep questioning the whys, the show will end on the very first ep -- I could never believe that America, Russia, and other power nations would welcome an alien race with open arms without asking any questions.
I thought the last 2 eps were pretty good, not plot wise but action-wise. I think we got 3 more eps to go, so the action should be racketing up.

February 23 2011 at 2:51 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply