April 24, 2014

Could 'Off the Map' Be Canceled?

by Jean Bentley, posted Mar 1st 2011 6:20PM
Rachelle LefevreOne more sign that ABC's "medical drama in paradise" 'Off the Map' might be hard to find on your TV schedule come fall: star Rachelle Lefevre has signed on for a new pilot.

According to Deadline, Lefevre landed the lead role on NBC's new period drama pilot 'The Crossing.' The actress will play a war widow in a post–Civil War Missouri town, though the casting is in second position to her role on 'Off the Map.' That means, should both shows get picked up for the 2011–2012 season, she's contractually obligated to return to 'Off the Map.'

It's not uncommon for actors on bubble shows -- which 'OTM' most certainly is -- to start making contingency plans. But often the actors turn out to be correct in their worst case scenario predictions.

Take 'My Boys' star Jordana Spiro, for example -- when it appeared her TBS sitcom was on the verge of cancellation, she landed the lead in NBC's 'Love Bites.' But since it was in second position to her existing show, when TBS wanted her back she had to leave 'Love Bites.' Unfortunately, TBS cancelled 'My Boys' a few months later, but the NBC show had already recast her role. (Then again, it looks like NBC will burn off 'Love Bites' this summer, so maybe she dodged a bullet there.)

On the other hand, 'One Tree Hill' star Sophia Bush booked a pilot in second position to her CW show last season, but 'OTH' ended up getting picked up for season 8. (Plus, the pilot was DOA anyway.) So just because Lefevre is actively seeking other work doesn't mean the end of 'Off the Map' is near.

The ratings aren't really helping the show's case, though. According to TV By the Numbers' cancellation index, 'Off the Map' is more likely to get cancelled than renewed. The show drew a series low 1.5 rating for the Feb. 16 episode, falling 21 percent from the previous week. Then again, 'Idol' proved to be a tough competitor and most of ABC's shows posted series or season lows that night.

The bottom line: Although it's by no means a done deal, unless ratings begin to perk or the pilots the network has in the pipeline all turn out to be terrible, things aren't looking up for the sexy young doctors.

kiminky

I loved this show so did half the part of the world??? so HY WAS IT CANCELED??? we vote to bring it back please!!

January 24 2012 at 10:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
marshannag

This is horrible!! I was so excited about the new season! Fall TV used to be my favorite time of the year!!! OTM and Brother and Sisters.....what's next???

October 13 2011 at 1:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Miranda99

I am so mad that Off the Map was cancelled. I looked forward to watching it every week. I loved all the different problems that the docs had to deal with and the flings. Of course they would cancel OTM and keep the stupid shows. I agree with what everyone has said in their comments. So now we all have to imagine what happen to all the doctors and if the one doctor lives or not. The replacement show doesn't sound very intresting to me. So I guess I will find something else to watch.

October 06 2011 at 3:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amy Lynn Dumos

A couple of my shows got canceled but Off the Map really. It was a great show...and o hate it when they leave us hanging then say o by the way se are not coming back next season...that's just mean

September 30 2011 at 4:04 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
jack dawson

Ok just to start off how is it that we have totaly stupid shows like wipeout, or other stupid shows and cance something as magical as off the map.
In my opinion i think that the people should have a say in whats cancled and whats not,
I say, LET THE PEOPLE HAVE A VOICE,LET US CHOSE, LET US PICK WHAT CRAPPY SHOWS STAY ON TV AND WHAT HEART STOPING PROGRAMS STAY ON TV, I say LET US CHOSE !LET US CHOSE!LET US CHOSE! LET US CHOSE! LET US CHOSE! LET US CHOSE! LET US CHOSE! LET US CHOSE!
LET THE PEOPLE HAVE A VOICE!

August 24 2011 at 5:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
griz

You keep a stupid freaking show like Wipeout and Cancel a GREAT show like Off The Map.. What the fluck is wrong with you people?? Stupid move and i REFUSE to watch Combat hospital because you will get people interested and then cancel it also.. I have gave up watching Grey's because you think it is a Opera that only needs a new episode every couple months to succeed and that also suck's..Must be you have a bunch of Washington Politicians on your board because those azzs can't make a decent decision either!!

July 31 2011 at 8:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to griz's comment
Robert Appleby

Hey griz......... I too looked forward every week for " off the Map" It was diffrent and not the same ole crap on network TV. To bad viwers cant like REALLY vote on the shows we like. I agree with all you said....KUDOS!!

August 01 2011 at 2:50 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Monica Moscoso

Damn!! I loved that show. I looked forward to watching it every week. Please bring it back. It deserves a second chance.

July 13 2011 at 5:45 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
Christina

I cannot believe you people cancelled this show! What is wrong with today's society?! Off The Map was an excellent program and much better than all the stupid reality shows you people keep putting on the air. I think it is totally ridiculous how you cancel the show because YOU THINK it should be cancelled. You say ratings were low............where the heck do you get your information from? I watched Off The Map every week and no one from your department bothered to check my area if we were watching. Well WE WERE WATCHING! How many other people were watching Off The Map that you didn't bother to research? I'm sorry but Off The Map was an excellent show with great story lines and actors that had awesome characters. You all should be ashamed at what you are doing to television these days. No wonder nobody wants to watch t.v. anymore.

June 11 2011 at 1:32 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
paulapair

PLEASE,PLEASE,DO NOT CANCEL THE SHOW OFF THE MAP IT IS A GREAT SHOW

June 02 2011 at 3:13 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
DEBBIE

My daughter and I loved Off The Map!! We could'nt wait every week to get to watch it!! It was so exciting to watch!!! Bring it back!!!!!

June 01 2011 at 11:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply