April 21, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

'American Idol': Jacob Lusk Wows Judges And Audience With Luther Vandross Classic (VIDEO)

by Jason Hughes, posted Mar 2nd 2011 12:06AM
Jacob Lusk, 'American Idol'Steven Tyler has one of the most impressive ranges in the history of modern music. And yet, one performer on 'American Idol' (Tue., 8PM ET on FOX) leaves him in awe. After Jacob Lusk's performance of Luther Vandross' 'A House Is Not a Home,' Tyler was left subdued, but no less enthusiastic, in his praise.

"I'm honored -- honored to be in your presence," he said sincerely. "You make me cry when you sing. I don't know where you get it from but I will bathe in it."

Lusk first wowed the judges and audiences in Hollywood when he belted out a song so powerfully that he was left exhausted and in tears. This performance wasn't nearly so over the top, but it was no less impressive for Lusk's control and passion in both his lower and upper registers.

What did you think of Lusk's performance in this opening round?

'American Idol' airs Wednesdays and Thursdays (and sometimes even Tuesdays) at 8PM ET on FOX.

janizbee

I judge this contest by primary one thing: (1) would I go out and buy this artist's CD? I found myself rewinding Jacob Lusk's performances and playing them back over and over again. I just didn't feel the need to do that with any of the others. Don't get me wrong. i think this year's competition is awsome, but at the end of the day i am deeply moved by Lusk. I would by tons of his CDs. He's just that wonderful to me. Singing is beyond technical perfecting, its more than just rhythm and pitch. It is a way of communicating a "truth." And, the more you are moved, the easier it is for you to believe. When Jacob sings, I believe him.

March 19 2011 at 8:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RENA' BUDD

I think it is high time that we see a black win AI. It's bad enough that we get a handful of blacks each season. But, we have had only 2 out of 10 seasons win. I am not racist, but, if you are going to break it down to 5 women and 5 men then we should have a certain amount of blacks/whites to start off. I love Lusk and see him and A. Jones going toe to toe. If all of the blacks are voted off, I WILL NOT CONTINUE TO WATCH AI.

March 08 2011 at 12:34 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to RENA' BUDD's comment
jag803

It's a talent contest; not a race gender competition.

March 08 2011 at 9:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jag803's comment
janizbee

Dido.

March 19 2011 at 8:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down
nanajo46

THIS GIFT WAS GIVEN TO US THRU AMERICAN IDOL..I HOPE THAT HIS "GOD GIVEN TALENT" TAKES HIM ALL THE WAY!...IF JACOB IS NOT VOTED THE NEXT AMERICAN IDOL...THEY SHOULD MAKE HIM A SPECIAL "WILD CARD WINNER" AND PICK TWO! WHY IS HE IN A TALENT CONTEST??....THIS KID SHOULD BE OUT THERE ALREADY...SHARING HIS WARMTH AND WONDERFUL VOICE...PUTS MANY PROFESSIONALS TO SHAME WHEN HE SINGS!!

March 05 2011 at 12:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mee-she

Jacob, Casey & James are the best at what they do...AMAZING!

March 04 2011 at 4:18 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Cassandra

Jason Lusk has one of the best voices I have ever heard. It is hard to believe that he is not already a star. Where has he been? Additionally, this is the best talent that American Idol has ever showcased. My question, why were they not picked earlier by former American judges? Many of this year's singers could easily have won the American Idol title in previous years. Why have I been listening to mediocre talent all these years?

March 04 2011 at 9:07 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
ssujusdhh

╭⌒╭⌒╮╭⌒╮~╭⌒╮
,)))),”)~~ ,”~)
╱◥█◣ ╱◥█◣
|田 田||田|田|
╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬

~~0nline st0re~~~

╬ http://www.sosovogue.com/

–╰══════════════╯–

——F r e e—S h i p p i n g—
bmnvmvbmv

March 03 2011 at 8:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
zan

Anindittty, I agree with your comments on Lopez, however, you said "HER CRITICISMS SOUND ALMOST CHILDISH. ANYWAY." WHAT criticisms? All she does is simper and gush over every single contestant and tell them how much she loves them. UGH. Simon is missed bigtime. Constructive criticism is GOOD.....how else are the contestants to learn, to improve, to grow in talent?

March 03 2011 at 12:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joanne Lindsey

I think Jacob is awesome!! If he put out an album now I would rush to buy it, no doubt. I like him and Casey Abrams. They have the best voices. I go by the voices when I listen to music. Who cares if any of them is (over the top) or whatever that phrase is that most use when they try to nit pick. I choose for the vocals, not for the good looks and all that other nonsense. Jacob Lusk and Casey Abrams have my votes!!

March 03 2011 at 9:58 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
ojoyus1

incredible! They all are so very talented.

March 02 2011 at 10:37 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
maj4045

OMG - they are SO talented this season. I just don't know how it's possible to eliminate anyone. All the wonderful young talent has finally floated to the surface. . . and now we decide on the best?!?

I do think Jacob was amazingly wonderful, but so were so many others. Wow - love AI!

March 02 2011 at 10:21 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply