October 23, 2014

Podcast Smorgasbord: 'Chuck' Convention News, Plus 'Raising Hope,' '30 Rock,' 'The Good Wife' and More

by Maureen Ryan, posted Mar 3rd 2011 1:15PM
In this week's 'Talking TV with Ryan and Ryan' podcast, Ryan McGee and I made an effort to mix things up: We talked about a bunch of shows we don't frequently gab about on the podcast.

OK, so 'Spartacus' and 'How I Met Your Mother' are the exceptions in the mix -- those are shows we've talked about a fair amount in the past. But we also discussed what we're liking (or disliking) about '30 Rock,' 'Modern Family,' 'The Good Wife' and 'Raising Hope.' Most (if not all) of those programs are newcomers to the Talking TV podcast.

We kicked things off, however, by talking about a bit of fun news: I'll be moderating a 'Chuck' panel at Chicago's C2D2 convention March 19; it'll feature cast members Josh Gomez, Ryan McPartlin, Scott Krinsky and Vik Sahay, so come on by if you're a Buy More addict in the Chicago area.

As for our epic gabfest about the other shows mentioned above, here are the running times for each discussion:

0:009:22 Introductory chatter, 'Chuck' panel, etc.

9:2221:31 'Raising Hope': I wrote here about how I think the show has improved as its first season has unfolded. Then again, in my view, it had quite a lot of improving to do after its grating pilot.

21:3137:16 '30 Rock': It used to be a must-see. What's the NBC comedy's status now?

37:1652:25 'The Good Wife': Ryan offers his thoughts on the CBS drama, which he just began watching.

52:251:06:28 'How I Met Your Mother': Zoe, Ted, Marshall and what we think of the currrent season's ongoing stories.

1:06:281:17:52 'Modern Family': Is the second season better? Worse? The same?

1:17:52end 'Spartacus: Gods of the Arena': thoughts on the finale and what's to come.

As always, you can subscribe to the Talking TV podcast on iTunes, or you can listen to or grab the mp3 file from this site.

This week's podcast is also available here, as are full archives of every 'Talking TV' podcast. The 'Talking TV' archives are also available on iTunes as well.

Follow @MoRyan on Twitter.

veronicalodge

hey mo, love your columns and podcasts, this one no exception. i particularly enjoyed the discussion about 'the good wife'. just one nitpick - jm's character's name is alicia - pronounced 'aleesha' *not* 'alisha'!

March 21 2011 at 3:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
aamadis

Booo to the m4a file!

March 08 2011 at 7:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rebecca

I listen to your podcasts on a device that can only play mp3s (Kindle 3), but it seems this week you guys switched file formats and now I can only find the podcast as an m4a file. Any plans to make both file formats available or to go back to mp3? Or do I have to stop listening?

March 08 2011 at 4:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Corey Jackson

As much as I have come to enjoy this podcast I have to say I'm very disappointed in the way both Maureen and Ryan are choosing to analyze Raising Hope. I say choose to analyze in that it comes off to me that both of you had decided before the show went to air that it would be a failure both critically and commercailly so you were just ready to automatically write it off but instead it has proven to not only be commercially successful and also a critical hit as well. The actors on Raising Hope each do an admirable job not only with the characters they portray but also giving the material that they are given real substance in particular Lucas Neff. Most other young actors in this role would play Jimmy as more than a semi-obnoxunois goofball but Neff play's him as a real life young single father which I can attest to in that I have known a few amongst my own friends. in future don't pull this bullshit because all you're doing is selling the show and you very own audience short.

March 07 2011 at 1:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TAUSIF

Can you make this podcast into a downloadable mp3 file (currently it is a m4a file which I can't open)?

March 04 2011 at 11:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ssujusdhh

╭⌒╭⌒╮╭⌒╮~╭⌒╮
,)))),”)~~ ,”~)
╱◥█◣ ╱◥█◣
|田 田||田|田|
╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬

~~0nline st0re~~~

╬ http://www.sosovogue.com/

–╰══════════════╯–

——F r e e—S h i p p i n g—
bmnvmvbmv

March 03 2011 at 8:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lou Sytsma

Can't wait to hear your Chuck/C2D2 reports. BTW, it is now common knowledge what many suspected all along, that WB made the decision to resurrect the BuyMore this season when the show was clearly poised to move beyond it. It would be interesting to hear the showrunners thoughts on where the series would have gone if that stipulation was not made.

For future shows to be covered in upcoming podcasts, putting in a request for Fringe. Really interested in hearing your thoughts, know Ryan's via his reviews, and what you are liking/not liking this Season.

Thanks!