August 28, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Joe Gets Racist, Paranoid and Obnoxious on Day 1 of 'America's Next Great Restaurant' (VIDEO)

by Jason Hughes, posted Mar 7th 2011 4:40AM
Joe, 'America's Next Great Restaurant''America's Next Great Restaurant' (Sun., 8PM ET on NBC) is the next variation on the cooking reality competition show. And by "next," we mean it's not too dissimilar to what you've already seen, but this show's got Joe.

Joe is the owner of a three-restaurant chain in Los Angeles called Big Wangs. As the prize is a three-restaurant chain, he's basically looking to expand an existing business. His restaurant's specialty is wings.

Unfortunately, this early round requires the contestants to cook their signature dish for the judges, and Joe thinks he should be the only one allowed to make wings.

When Joe trapped one poor girl into his whining, she tried to talk him down at first. "Is there somebody else doing wings, too?" she asked.

Joe mentioned a sauce they'd tried moments before as being a wing-sauce, even though its creator said it was an all-purpose sauce. "That's one person out of twenty."

Then Joe lost her and any sympathy he might have been able to find. "He's doing wings. Black guy, of course. That's what they do. Wings."

The woman's reaction was stunned silence. What do you say to such blatant racism? Then, when they cut to the black guy in question, he looked like he was making waffles. So Joe here managed to seamlessly blend racism and paranoia.

"Joe's probably the biggest jerk I've ever met in my life," the guy said later. "His words to people, just his attitude, I think that's going to get him into a lot of trouble eventually." And at this stage he doesn't even know what Joe said about him.

We just have to wonder: Is this kind of "publicity" going to have a negative impact on Big Wangs?

Watch the full episode here:

Vuthy

I was at Big Wangs Friday night and noticed how dead it was. They were one of the first to take a chance opening up in that part of Hollywood and they attracted huge crowds for a while because it was hard to find a sports bar in Hollywood. However, there's so much competition now and it has taken its toll. I wonder how (or if) this will affect the business. I don't think they can afford to lose any customers at this point.

March 08 2011 at 5:30 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
rom7725

Joe is obviously and idiot! To make such a statement that was totally uncalled for, had nothing to do with anything except to showcase to the world his incredible stupidity! This guy, who owns a business that depends upon the public in order to survive, especially in these times? Wow! Scary! Won't be visiting Big Wangs.

March 07 2011 at 7:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
M H Berger Law

lets just say its safe to say i WILL NOT be going to any Big Wang restaurants!!!

March 07 2011 at 4:52 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Walking Dead

@cleancuttbaddboy I can't see the clip because I'm in Canada, but I saw the show. Joe was the one who made the racist comment, and also the one who owned the 3 restaurants Big Wangs and was making wings. Alex was a restaurant manager & he was the one making tacos.

March 07 2011 at 12:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
felic2011

Great way to expand your business. Jerk!!!!!

March 07 2011 at 10:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cleancuttbaddboy

I'm confused...they say Joe is the racist, but from the clip above it would seem Alex is the racist. Or did they mix up the names?

March 07 2011 at 10:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wandahuston

I am so not surprised about anyone person being a racist. Is it really safe to assume that because you are a black person, you just loooovvvve wings?! ABSOLUTELY NOT! I am as black as it gets...I love salad!!!!!!

March 07 2011 at 6:58 AM Report abuse +6 rate up rate down Reply