August 29, 2014

Mike DeStefano, 'Last Comic Standing' Contestant, Dies

by Jean Bentley, posted Mar 7th 2011 1:45PM
Mike DeStefanoComedian Mike DeStefano, who finished fourth on the most recent season of 'Last Comic Standing,' died yesterday after suffering a heart attack, Punchline Magazine reports.

The Bronx native was an HIV-positive recovering heroin addict who frequently tackled those tough topics in his act.

A friend of DeStefano's family confirmed the news to Punchline, and TV Guide reports that DeStefano's producer addressed the death on Twitter, writing, "We'll be talking about it later. Sorry if we've ignored the e-mails and text messages. Mike became a brother to us. We love him."

DeStefano began his standup career at 31 while working as a drug counselor in Florida, according to the bio on his website. "He offered to entertain the audience at a convention, and following their positive response, he decided to start his career in standup."

Watch DeStefano's 'Last Comic Standing' audition below.

radycal1

jude judge wasnt he in 48 hrs w/ eddie murphy.....ha

March 08 2011 at 9:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
emberbb

I remember him and I liked his act very much. I believe I watched a few of the episodes. He has what it takes, and that is the NY accent, laughing, quick and size. I love Italians and they generally are good comedians. It is sad to learn that he died at such a young age. He did have a future with comedy, so maybe he is entertaining those in heaven!

March 08 2011 at 9:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ihave80shair

I am sad that he passed, he was very funny on LCS. My thoughts are with his family. Remember him in the best way.....thats waht he wants.

March 08 2011 at 3:44 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
msmhembree

Who gives a rat's ass

March 08 2011 at 3:41 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to msmhembree's comment
rjsing1

wHAT THE HELL IS YOUR PROBLEM. WE WILL THINK THE SAME ABOUT YOU WHEN YOU PASS AWAY YOU JACKWAD....

March 08 2011 at 5:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mr8pak

Well I am not surprised as the guy was a TYPE A

March 08 2011 at 1:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ataloss

HIV? HEROIN ADDICT? Is that where he really got the AIDS virus from, heroin/needles?. He went from last comic standing to first comic laying down, from that particular group.

March 07 2011 at 11:54 PM Report abuse -8 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to ataloss's comment
Derek

that supposed to be funny, Greg Geraldo the jude in that clip, died as well a couple months ago

March 08 2011 at 12:24 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Derek's comment
Derek

judge

March 08 2011 at 12:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down
ifoundyourhat

Judge Jude?

March 08 2011 at 1:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down
BUCKWHEAT

NOW THAT'S FUNNY.

March 07 2011 at 11:03 PM Report abuse -7 rate up rate down Reply
Hi Kenny!

I was one of the many who owned a cd of mike and have seen his comedy act on tv. Right when I saw LCS finalist dies I prayed it wasnt mike. He is by far the finniest one to ever grace that show. Mike taught us to laugh at the small stuff and I think we can all appreciate the fact he was real. Mike spoke the truth and wasnt a jerk who turned his head to all his fans. Mike was a great man who not only did stand up but was going from college to college counseling kids to stay away from drugs and telling aboout how he was HIV positive. We didnt just loose a comic, we lost a stand up honest man. Rest In Peace Mr. DeStefano, you will be missed by the ones who knew you but more by anyone who sees your youtube videos and can see the type of guy you really were. I can say you made me laugh and changed my perspective on alot of issues in my personal life. I hope you can make me laugh one day again when I'm with you in heaven. Just remember to anyone reading this post, if you thought mike was too dark, too real, or too edgy, his humor was appreciated and he is loved. Until we meet again, good bye Mike DeStefano and my peace be with you.

March 07 2011 at 10:58 PM Report abuse +8 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Hi Kenny!'s comment
Derek

hes funny but no where near funniest on that shows history, not even top 10. but he had his moments. RIP

March 08 2011 at 12:25 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
pozguy

HIV positive singles face very difficult challenges when it comes to dating. They have to either date someone with HIV or disclose their HIV status. Disclosing to someone that's HIV- is a terrifying task and finding someone else with HIV. HIVromances.com help you Dating and Finding Love for HIV Positive Singles

March 07 2011 at 10:46 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Punkin

So sorry to hear this shocking news! Mike was my absolute favorite, and I believe he should have won. RIP Bud.

March 07 2011 at 10:22 PM Report abuse +7 rate up rate down Reply