December 22, 2014

'The Amazing Race: Unfinished Business' Season 18, Episode 3 Recap

by Jackie Schnoop, posted Mar 7th 2011 7:45AM
Maybe the Frog of Luck is smiling on 'The Amazing Race'['The Amazing Race: Unfinished Business' - 'We Had a Lot of Evil Spirits Apparently (Japan)']

What's the absolute best thing about 'The Amazing Race'? Sure, there's the adrenalin rush as the teams race around the world. Yes, there's Phil's infamous eyebrow raise. You can cheer on your favorite teams and jeer at the ones who irk you.

But the best thing about the race is learning odd trivia about other countries as we peek into their cultures and traditions. Yep, now we can add the Frog of Luck into our everyday conversations. Life is good.

As the teams headed off to get flights to Japan, they once again faced a quandary. Take a non-stop direct flight that arrived 15 minutes later than a flight with one stop, or go for the small lead time? To me, it seemed like a no-brainer: Take the non-stop flight.

However, they're in a race for a million dollars. They saw dollar signs in each minute of the 15-minute lead. And, as luck on the race usually has it, the last shall be first and the first shall be last once again. That doesn't mean the first can't be first again, but that comes along a bit later.

Yes, there was a flight delay. It turns out that in a large, confusing city such as Tokyo, 15 minutes is nothing. An hour isn't even anything that can't be overcome with lots of luck and determination.

The tasks aside, the coolest thing (other than the Frog of Luck) was a nifty car vending machine in Tokyo! Thankfully the cars don't seem to get stuck. It would be kind of difficult to shake that machine, nor do you really want your car to fall down.

When I saw that the Roadblock involved horses, Japanese cowboy hats and shooting an arrow, I figured the Cowboys would bolt to first place. Oh my. I was so wrong! Justin was absolutely amazing as he seemed to live the task, not just regurgitate what they showed him. Most of the teams had difficulty with it, including Cord (or was it Jet?). Maybe the Japanese cowboy hat was off-putting. Gary did surprisingly well.

In the Detour, with a choice between the Prayer of Purity and the Frog of Luck, most of the teams went for the latter. Heck, purity is a good thing, but you need all the luck you can get to win this race!

At the Prayer task, the Globetrotters accidentally picked up Christina's fanny pack. They realized their mistake and left it where Ron would see it. Should they have run it back to Ron and Christina? Well, apparently so, as it ended up costing them a 30-minute penalty at the Pit Stop and they went from third to fourth place.

The Frog of Luck task reminded me that, even though this is a higher quality reality show, contestants still end up doing things which are really humiliating. Crawling around in cold mud while wearing Sumo wrestler diapers as locals fling mud at you just might be where I'd draw the line, lucky frog or not.

Zev and Justin shined once again this week. Even though, thanks to the graciousness of the Globetrotters, they were on the ill-fated earlier flight that ended up arriving later, they came in first place once again. It's hard to imagine what the chaos of racing is doing to Zev, but he's handling everything thrown at him well. He didn't like the mud so much, though.

But the true touching story of the night belonged to Mel and Mike. Mel is old. We know that. How old is too old for the race? It's possible Mel might just be pushing the limits. Does he give up? Nope! Mel was determined to stay crawling around in the icy mud in the dark looking for the Frog of Luck. Mike, worried about his father's well-being, made Mel stop.

It's a race for a million dollars. Mike cared more about his father than any money in the world. That's as it should be. Yet sometimes you wonder when so-called loving teams are at each other's throats during the race. Kudos to Mel and Mike!

What did you think? Would you have preferred a Cara/Jaime elimination? Did the Globetrotters deserve their penalty? Would you even attempt the race at 70 years old? Let us know in comments!

'The Amazing Race' airs Sundays, 8PM ET on CBS.

Who would you like to see Philiminated next?
Margie and Luke140 (23.3%)
Flight Time and Big Easy25 (4.2%)
Jaime and Cara208 (34.7%)
Jet and Cord17 (2.8%)
Zev and Justin6 (1.0%)
Jen and Kisha31 (5.2%)
Gary and Mallory28 (4.7%)
Kent and Vyxsin94 (15.7%)
Ron and Christina51 (8.5%)

gershep1

Sorry to see Mike & Mel go. They were a good team on their first try, and I was glad to see them again. Life isn't over just because someone is older, and it's great that TAR allows people of all ages to participate.

GO COWBOYS AND GLOBETROTTERS!!!

March 08 2011 at 6:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cadotso

The penalty seemed kind of silly to me , it didnt really have any sort of impact, but I do think it was necessary. If you consider the race itself, if they dont penalize somebody for that, whats to stop more "cutthroat"racers from grabbing other peoples' belongings/passports/etc and causing them serious delay? If they allow that sort of thing to go on, everybody would just hide or pick up fannypacks and such as a strategy to prevent other racers from getting ahead of them...

IN OTHER WORDS ANARCHY!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 07 2011 at 11:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
General Kenobi

Just because the Globetrotters didn't mean to cause Ron & Christina a delay, their actions did cause one. End of story.

As for Mel and Mike, I'm sorry, but they should've never been on this race. Either he was too old or they're too well off. It's one of the reasons I never think adding celebrity teams is a good idea. In this season and the last with them, they didn't have the killer instinct to push forward. Is that because the old man is old? Or is that because he and his son, as a screenwriter, are too well off? Dunno... but if I have to ask, that's a problem. If he was too old, that's their fault and production's fault. If it is because they don't really have a huge need for the money, that's solely on production. I mean, even in their own season the experience of the race itself and being together and healthy was far more important than the race outcome for them... same here... well, that's all fine and good, and I like both of them very much... with that said, I'd prefer to watch people that are doggedly determined to do and finish the race and are, even if it's pushing them, within the realm of physical capacity to do so. Neither was the case with this team, and that's annoying.

All that said, I still wish "MOM!!!" was gone.

March 07 2011 at 10:11 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
devinmcmusters

I missed who Christina said she was engaged to.....I hope he's worthy of her, and not just another fool like her father.

March 07 2011 at 9:02 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to devinmcmusters's comment
: Oognud

father and daughter team Ron & Christina were originally in the Amazing Race 12 in 2007 as were the brother and sister team of Azaria & Hendekea , Christina is engaged to Azaria .

March 09 2011 at 11:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Terry

ron and christina arent on the poll or i would have voted for them...I hate the way they argue....So far noone else is even close to that! surprised u excluded the car accident Jaime and Cara had ..Thought it was minor but could have been the game changer for them!

March 07 2011 at 8:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joyce Nicodemus

Accidental or not, the Globetrotters caused Ron and Christina a delay. No, it probably did not effect the outcome, but it could have if Ron hadn't seen the bag. He and Christina were about to leave without it which may have caused a problem in the following tasks. Flighttime and Big Easy mayl be more conscientious of their actions, if nothing else.

I doubt I'd attempt the race at any age and admire Mike for being so concerned for his father's welfare. I believe it was inevitable that this team would have left sooner than later anyway. Neither seemed to have their heart in the game as much this season.

March 07 2011 at 8:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ctoan

As much as I love watching the Globetrotters, I do believe that they deserved the penalty. The bag wasn't theirs, and though they left it in plain sight, it wasn't where Christina was expecting it to be. Losing your passports on a racearoundtheworld is a huge deal.

I don't think the Globetrotters did it intentionally nor was it malicious, as Christina seemed to imply on the mat. I also don't think the show arbitrarily assigned the penalty without getting the GT's side of the story. But it did occur, and it interferred with another team's progress.

Re Mike/Mel: I hate seeing people quit, but I blame that more on the producers allowing a 70-year-old to run the race than on Mike making his father stop crawling around in the mud.

March 07 2011 at 8:25 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
d2a3v8i3d4

Thought the Globetrotters should have been given a chance to explain since it didn't look like anything but an accident to me.They did leave the bag where it could easily be found,they did not try to delay the other team.

Thought the frog and the purity challenges came very close to risking hypothermia.I don't think they need to risk team's health for ratings "gold".

Looked like the guy with the broken car mirror milked it for all it's worth,not sure the girls should have stopped,that probably happens 5000 times a day in Tokyo.

March 07 2011 at 8:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kelly

I don't know if the Globetrotters deserved the penalty. It's not like they hid the fanny pack. They left it in plain sight, right by Ron's stuff. It's not like they had any malicious intent. It was an honest mistake. Unless it is stated in the rules that you must put back an item that is not yours where it was found, then they shouldn't have received the penalty. I do wish it was Cara and Jame who got eliminated. I find them annoying.

GO COWBOYS!!!

March 07 2011 at 7:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Kelly's comment
Storm

One team mistakenly drove the car that belonged to Adam & Rebecca in TAR 6-They got slapped with a 30 penalty. Of course, certain fans expect the producers to bend the rules for their favorites.

March 08 2011 at 11:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply