October 23, 2014

'Sister Wives' Season 2 Preview: Will Kody Take On Another Wife?

by Maggie Furlong, posted Mar 11th 2011 6:45PM
TLC's most talked-about reality series premiered last fall with a swirl of legal scandal surrounding it. Just as we were getting to know Kody Brown and his family, our new TV obsession became slightly tarnished by an investigation of felony bigamy.

Oh yeah, in case you don't watch TV or read the news, Kody Brown's family includes four wives -- Meri, Janelle, Christine and Robyn -- and their combined 16 children. Their show 'Sister Wives' is a real life 'Big Love' story, but exposing their lifestyle to the public was more drama than any scripted TV show could conjure up.

TLC's 'Sister Wives,' from left: Janelle, Christine, Kody, Meri & Robyn Brown
Now they're back, coping with their newfound infamy, their public polygamy and the ongoing investigation, but their show is even more endearing this season (premieres Sun., March 13, 9PM ET on TLC) as fourth wife Robyn is truly part of the family.

I caught up with Kody and the wives to hear about their new season, and then they answered the one question on most people's minds: are they open to welcoming more wives into their lives? Keep reading to find out ...

So what's new for season 2? "More of the kids for sure. We're so excited to show them off a little more," says Janelle. "Can I say less crying on the couch?," laughs Meri. "You'll see more family unity -- you'll see the five of us more united," Christine chimes in. And Robyn agrees: "We're a family meshing."

"It's the whole ups and downs of becoming public, it's ins and outs of our family. Just being a family, whereas in season 1, it was beginning the family joining," says Meri.

When Kody tells us the biggest difference with him this year -- "I'm not nice all the time in this season" -- the wives all let out shocked replies. "Oh, you're not?" "What'd you do?" "I don't remember that!" Kody explains "I had a couple bad days," which seems to click with all the wives simultaneously. Sounds like there's one episode we really won't want to miss ...

Seeing how happy all five of them are together, finishing each other's sentences and talking about cute things the cameras captured their kids doing, it's hard to imagine life before there were five Browns. But is this it? Or are they open to having a fifth wife? Or a sixth or seventh?

'Sister Wives' - the Brown family portrait
"You know what? You ask, and you ask sincerely and I feel safe with you, so I'll answer this question," Kody says. "We're just getting used to this family. It's been less than a year [since Robyn and her children joined the family], and that was a very special experience. None of us were looking [for another wife] and we had this wonderful experience with Robyn coming into the family, and it had been 16 years since Christine and I had been married. So we are really not thinking that this will happen."

"We're thinking this is all that's gonna happen," says Christine. "This is our family," agrees Robyn. "This lifestyle is a religious one," Meri explains. "And we feel led by a higher power in what we do ... so if that happens, well ... but it's not like we're planning or searching." "Not searching at all," Kody says emphatically.

And now that reality TV has changed their realities forever, do they ever regret signing up for this? "You get to find that out at the end of episode 1," teases Meri.

So will you watch the new season? And would you ever entertain a life with multiple loves? Sound off in the comments, and check back Monday for a very fun video with Kody and the wives.

Follow Maggie on Twitter @TheTVShowGirl

piboy2011

I have no sympathy or empathy for them. They should be able to choose how they want to live as long as it doesn't interfere with anyone else's right. But then they complain about Money worries?? Oh please. Talk about being irresponsible that Kody and Robin actually chose to get pregnant right now. So how are they going to pay for this one if they are concerned about money. On one program they said everyone cashed in their retirement accounts so they would have the funds to start a family business. Didn't say what kind of family business. Makes me mad to watch this show, but it's like a car wreck, I can't turn away.

June 12 2011 at 12:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1485celia

I love sister wives and somewhat if they get help by tlc, thier making tlc way more money and bringing in more ratings, and if that's the way they wanna live then so Be it! i think it's awesome that they can get along and love each other. And the comment robyn said that " it's not lust", cause if it was lust why wouldnt he just go to a prostitute. If it was lust he wouldnt care about marring them or ever having them live in the same house. To memhe really loves all his wives, GOod luck to the brown family!!!!!!

June 07 2011 at 7:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ann

Why don't they locate an old-age/retirement home that's for sale or lease. There would be more than enough bedrooms for the children/wives & one or more large, communal living areas plus an industrial-sized kitchen & dining room. On a recent episode, it was interesting to note Meri's feelings about the expense of the house she got in Las Vegas vs. the amount of children she had 'produced'. Seems these women have many, if not all, of the feelings normal to women in monogomous marriages/relationships. Hum . . . For many reasons, I cannot tolerate Kody. I strongly feel he, intentionally, exposed 'HIS' family to public scrutiny, ridicule & legal prosecution for personal financial gain. He doesn't seem all that 'religious' anyway.

June 07 2011 at 12:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ann

Why don't they locate an old-age/retirement home that's for sale or lease. There would be more than enough bedrooms for the children/wives & one or more large, communal living areas plus an industrial-sized kitchen & dining room. On a recent episode, it was interesting to note Meri's feelings about the expense of the house she got in Las Vegas vs. the amount of children she had 'produced'. Seems these women have many, if not all, of the feelings normal to women in monogomous marriages/relationships. Hum . . . For many reasons, I cannot tolerate Kody. I strongly feel he, intentionally, exposed 'HIS' family to public scrutiny & ridicule for personal financial gain. He doesn't seem all that 'religious' anyway.

June 07 2011 at 12:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
terrylseal

very strange they can get people to rent to them without jobs and it couldnt be in the "husband's" name because it would blow up his credit score..also, they still own the house in utah...something is really fishy because the women don't work so how would they qualify for the rentals? Plus they spoke of taking their retirement to start a family business - how the heck would they have enough for them all to have retirement funds??? it seems that if they were actually paying that they would have at least put two families in a home.and obviously if he doesn't reign in his women they are going to mutiny - they don't want to live together - which is natural - this way they can pretend they arent sharing a husband. as soon as they split up they became a man with three mistresses. Have these "wives" thought about if something happens to the husband that the only one with rights will be the "real" legal wife?

June 07 2011 at 12:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sandy

I can't remember what type of work Kody does and if he has a job now. It must be
a huge expense to keep that many people in one house let alone in 4 different homes.
Seems like they may consider building something like they had with each wife having
her own wing. Most cost effective I believe.None of them have an income now.

June 06 2011 at 9:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Heidi

What a bunch of whoha over no money. Complaining about 4 rentals??? I'm sure TLC is picking up the bill & then some. If money was such a worry, then my real concern would be for health insurance for the 16 kids. Who does pick up the insurance for the children of the not "legal" wives. Is it welfare? I mean they all lost their jobs right. How about a really "real" life?

June 06 2011 at 9:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jshutrbug028

I've been very surprised by my own reaction to this show, don't even know why I watch it really just can't help myself i guess. I don't know how these women do it but I have to admit that i've intreged by the relationship between them as they truely seem to care about each other. I've been especially facinated by the kids. I mean how many of us can say I kids are that close. The kids seem as though they would rather die as be seperated from each other, the "moms" and their dad. I don't understand it but it works for them, they are one big happy family. Have to admit they have to be good people, better than me for sure, to be able to live this unselfish lifestyle. They should just be left alone. I have to agree with MommaDot6 i also think this the beginning of the end for this family as they know it and in some weird kind of way it makes me sad. I really do admire the kids closeness and the fact they all get along so well.

June 06 2011 at 9:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MommaDot6

After tonight's show it appears that Meri and Christine are enjoying their time in separate houses and having Cody's undivided attention once every four nights. Hello? This is what a real, monogamous marriage is. They would be beyond ecstatic if they had him every night of the week to themselves. I think this is the beginning of the end for the four sister wives.

June 06 2011 at 12:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shannon Griffin Robi

I love sister wives i say every man his own i think they have an awsome family an i hope there new life is working for them lots of luck to them.

June 06 2011 at 12:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply