April 18, 2014

'Wonder Woman': First Look at Adrianne Palicki in Costume

by Maureen Ryan, posted Mar 18th 2011 4:30PM
Remember how many of us were concerned about David E. Kelley's 'Wonder Woman' remake? Consider my concerns doubled after today's release of the first image of Adrianne Palicki as the crime-fighting superheroine.

Let me be clear: I have nothing against Palicki, in fact, I have the greatest respect for her work on 'Friday Night Lights.' But shouldn't the star of NBC's 'Wonder Woman' remake look better than those celebrity impersonators you see strolling around the touristy parts of Los Angeles?

I'm summoning my inner Tim Gunn here, but I'm not sure even he could figure out a way to "make it work," as it were. The whole ensemble is way too shiny, and I'm not a fan of the matchy-matchy boots and skin-tight pants. The lasso is all right, I guess, but the rest of the accessories aren't much to write home about.

Wonder Woman

I hate to go to the catty place, but I really hate the silver bracelets. Lynda Carter's gold ones were much more snazzy. And Palicki is a beautiful woman, but the overdone makeup isn't bringing out her best features. It's way too much. It looks like they applied the lipstick with a garden trowel.

I know Wonder Woman is supposed to have striking features and a bold look, but this whole ensemble looks, well, cheap. Isn't it 2011? Aren't we kind of done with Spandex?

All I'm saying is, look at the modern superhero costumes worn in the most recent 'Batman' films. They look radically cool. This... does not look cool. Whatever misgivings I had about the project before, they're not exactly fading at this point.

Oy.

Don't agree with my thoughts? Perhaps you'll agree with my TV Squad colleagues.

Maggie Furlong: This? This is what they come up with for a 21st century Wonder Woman? Beyond the cheap-looking leatherette and (gasp!) blue boots, the hair and makeup are a little too pageanty for me. Isn't she supposed to kick butt? At least they got the cuffs and golden lasso right ...

Chris Harnick: As the resident Wonder Woman expert/fanboy, I'm really not feeling the costume. It's too similar to her current comic costume ... and I loathe that one. However, I think the TV costume could be worse! If the vinyl was toned down, the blue pants (can you call those pants?) and boots a less offensive color and the giant red stars were removed I'd be a much happier man. Right now, this is just another strike against the project.

Alex Moaba: I'm not quite sure how she's going to fight crime with all that cleavage, though I'm intrigued to watch her try. Boobs aside, the getup looks like a Power Rangers costume you might see in a plastic bag at a Party City around Halloween.

Chris Jancelewicz: It's hard to believe that Palicki appears less sexy in the Wonder Woman outfit. This from a woman who made dusty jeans and boots look sexy on 'Friday Night Lights.' It's a conundrum only Wonder Woman can solve! Oh wait ...

Tell us: Do you like the costume?

bobcornerstone

Camel toe!

March 30 2011 at 4:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wonderking2000

Just make this all go away! Worst Wonder Woman prank ever! It's one thing to update the original costume it's quite another to completely distort it and change it from it's original vision. Even with the new changes to it, it still is a hot mess from what appears a Halloween USA costume. Warner Bros. & David E. Kelley please take another look at Lynda Carter or any animated image of Wonder Woman since 1941 before the costume change and tell me how any of this is right. Just make it go away! You all should be ashamed of what your doing. And Adrianne has to know she looks terrible in this role. I look at her and see a bad drag queen in a horrid outfit they are calling Wonder Woman's. Just awful.

March 30 2011 at 11:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rattpoison55

I HAVE BEEN A WONDER WOMAN FAN SINCE BEFORE LYNDA'S SHOW, AND WHEN HER SHOW CAME OUT, I WAS IN HEAVEN, AND DEVASTATED THAT IT ONLY LASTED 3 SEASONS. I HAVE WAITED 32 YEARS FOR A NEW VERSION, AND I LIKE WHAT I SEE WITH ADRIANNE SO FAR. I WAS WORRIED THE NEW COSTUME WOULDN'T BE SEXY OR WHO THEY WOULD CAST, BUT I NEEDN'T HAVE WORRIED. LYNDA WILL ALWAYS BE WONDER WOMAN FOR ME, JUST AS ROGER MOORE WILL ALWAYS BE 007, BUT LET'S GIVE ADRIANNE A CHANCE. SHE KNOWS SHE WILL BE COMPARED TO A GODDESS WHO HAS NO EQUAL AND WILL FACE A LOT OF CRITICISM, AND SHE'S STILL STEPPING UP TO THE PLATE. I CAN'T WAIT FOR A FULL-SIZE POSTER OF ADRIANNE IN COSTUME, IT WILL GO RIGHT NEXT TO LYNDA ON MY WALL, AND MY GIRLFRIEND WILL HAVE TO DEAL WITH IT.
ADRIANNE, I WISH YOU MUCH LUCK WITH YOUR NEW SERIES. YOU HAVE THE SUPPORT OF THIS FAN, AT LEAST. CAN'T WAIT FOR THE PILOT.

March 27 2011 at 12:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Buckeye Joe

Epic fail. This series won't get past the pilot and it is a good thing. We wouldn't want to see this costume very often.

March 25 2011 at 9:52 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
aprilglaspie

Dr. Brennan looked better when she was Wonder Woman for Halloween.

March 23 2011 at 2:13 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
JessieLeah

Taking closer look - I loathe the costume - it looks cheap and WW is going to pop out of the top. Blue boots, no way! If I were changing the boots, I would have made them gold. Silver wrist bands - looks weird considering everything else is gold. Stars down the side of the pants is cool, but the blue is bad, bad, bad - should be the same blue as the American flag - darker. Head band looks cheap halloweeny... Hair not good, red lips, weird - makeup - too much - should be more natural for moderns times.

I'm a WW Lynda Carter fan and she looked fantastic - the NBC look doesn't work.

Oh and when air brushing - it's probably good to show she has an armpit unless Amazonian women do not.

March 22 2011 at 3:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JessieLeah

Nice fake boobs...Wonder Woman would not have fake boobs. UGH! Or if she did she would have one that don't look obviously fake.

March 22 2011 at 2:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Thomas Bowery

I think she wold look much better without the costume. Just one mans opinion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 21 2011 at 3:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
candimazzetti

OK...here we go...YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! My brother, who has a whole room dedicated to Wonder Woman, could loan you the costume off his mannequin and you would be a lot better off. Linda Carter AKA WONDER WOMAN and Adrienne Palicki both have gorgeous legs, why on earth would you hide them behind those hideous blue pleather pants and boots? Also, Wonder Woman's costume showed she was proud to be an american....designed after the American Flag. Where are the white stars on the shorts? Where are the red boots? Come on people...lets give Adrienne a chance! Great casting...now lets not ruin it with this pathetic attempt at a costume and don't get me started on that make-up! I will offer my brothers assistance for free...sorry Frank but they really need you! In closing I just want to say...this is WONDER WOMAN we are talking about! You cant improve perfection, so let Adrienne strut her stuff in a replica of the outfit worn by Linda Carter, spend the money you save on costume design on a new make-up artist!

March 21 2011 at 2:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to candimazzetti's comment
wonderking2000

They changed her boots to red but that is baby steps in the right direction. The entire costume needs to be changed. Adrianne may just want a job at the moment but guarateed she will look back and ask herself, what was I thinking? When all of this crashes. Absolute mess I'm sorry. And I do believe your brother could lend them a better looking outfit. Heck I would loan them my Wonder Woman underoos from my collection and it would look better then this hot mess going on. It's a bad year for Wonder Woman and of all years her 70th. DC Comics have really played a cruel prank on Wonder Woman and the fans this year. I'd rather have nothing out of them.

March 30 2011 at 11:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lodak

She looks uncomfortable. Is it crooked? I can’t tell.

March 21 2011 at 2:05 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply