December 19, 2014

'All My Children': Will ABC Cancel the Long-Running Soap?

by Chris Harnick, posted Mar 21st 2011 1:15PM
All My ChildrenA daytime landscape without Erica Kane? Say it ain't so! A source close to 'All My Children' has confirmed to TV Squad the series is in jeopardy.

ABC could make an announcement regarding the fate of 'All My Children' as soon as today or tomorrow. Despite it being a bigger brand, the soap's sagging ratings have put 'AMC' on the chopping block.

If 'AMC' is canceled, ABC could move 'One Life to Live' to California.

In recent weeks 'AMC' has delivered record lows in Nielsen ratings. According to Deadline, the soap came in last in the key demographic of women 18–49. It was seen by 463,000 viewers in that demo, down 34 percent compared to last year. The series also came in last in total viewers, grabbing 2.32 million. 'One Life to Live' had 2.36 million during the week of March 7.

Since its debut 41 years ago, the series has been a launching ground for many stars including Sarah Michelle Gellar and Amanda Seyfried. Recent Oscar-winner Melissa Leo also had a brief stint on the soap.

Viewers will remember Kelly Ripa as Hayley long before she became the co-host of 'Live! With Regis and Kelly.' 'AMC' has also been home to Susan Lucci as Erica Kane, one of the most familiar faces in TV, for more than 30 years. Lucci is the only original cast member still on the series.

If 'AMC' bites the dust, ABC could follow the lead of CBS and replace the long-running soap with a game or talk show. CBS replaced 'As the World Turns' with 'The Talk' this season, and 'Guiding Light,' previously the longest running drama in TV history, with 'Let's Make a Deal' in 2009.

Stay tuned to TV Squad for more updates 'All My Children.'

Tell us: Will you miss 'AMC' if ABC cancels the series?

Margaret

AMC is the only Soap I watch...How could it possibly end? There is so much going on right now...!

May 28 2011 at 5:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
akts02kpm

I will have no excuses anymore that I am watching my soaps!!! Oh crap....now I have to do my housework!!!! That will be new and different. Hubby will be thrilled. I guess we will have more time to play golf on the WII.

May 13 2011 at 11:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
aicitelrecneps22

Leticia I HARDLY WATCH ANYTHING ON T.V. BUT ALL MY CHILDREN IS ONE OF THE SOAP OR THINGS I DO SEE11111111 I RELAX WATCHING IT... I HAVE BEEN SEEING IT FOR MANY YEARS.... PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT CANCEL IT. I RECORD IT EVER DAY AND THEN IN THE EVENING THAT IS WHAT I ENJOYING SEEING. I REALLY HOPE IT IS NOT CANCELLED. LIKE WE NEED MORE TOP SHOWS. THEN PUT SOMETHING CHRISTIAN. I REALLY HOPE IT IS NOT CANCELLED. PLEASE I HOPE AMC IS READING ALL THIS COMMENTS AND DO REALIZE WHAT A MISTAKE. PEOPLE OUT THERE MAKE A DIFFERENTS AND START WRITING TO AMC BY MAIL DIRECTLY. I KNOW I AM..... I HOPE SOMEONE HEARS US AND THEY LEAVE ALL MY CHILDREN ALONG.... LET'S PRAY THEY DO RECONSIDER.

May 12 2011 at 8:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DONALD

i am not in the Soap i hope abc Cancel it

May 01 2011 at 7:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joanne

I've watched all my children for several years..When I worked I taped it. Now that I am retired I watch daily. Either in the afternoon on ABC or at night on Soapnet. I would like to see it stay on . We do not need anothercooking show.

April 28 2011 at 3:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gambinoevans

Please do not cancel AMC, I have been watching this since 1982. I never miss an episode unless the electric is out. I love this show. IT is the only Soap I continue to watch, I used to watch Days of Our Lives, General Hospital and a few others on CBS. But the only one I have continued to watch is All My Children. THIS IS THE BEST SOAP OUT THERE. Daytime would not be same with out AMC. Please keep this show going,

April 28 2011 at 1:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
monica

im 18 and ive been watching AMC for 18 years, my mom for 40 and my aunts and grandma for 40 as well. abc i think your SO wrong for canceling AMC. and who the heck needs another food show?!? really?!?! BAD idea abc uve lost me as a veiwer and seeing all the comments on the topic uve lost millions! HA looks like ABC will be going off as well as AMC and OLTL cause it wont have much money to keep going for long!

April 23 2011 at 11:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jamesr

if the decision is being made by nelson rateings that is a joke. my 81 year old dad was chosen as one of very few in my town and all he watches is old westerns. do your people realize that millions of mothers daughters and grandmothers bond over the hours spent watching these shows? you know like the fathers and sons with their sports, but you sure wont see any of them cancelled. just because they dont generate all the profits that you think your entitled too. 40 years of devotion should mean something. But just like every aspect of this culture ( lets go after the little people) . you know abc does have some decent shows that i like, but will not see anymore due to what you all are doing to us the fans. i will be bocotting abc as will a bunch of others, some how you will loose in the end but as usual this wont be realised until its to late, i take this so personal due to the fact that i was alone with my mom watching amc when she had a fatal heart attack, the last word she said was greenly, and oh by the way ive seen the guy whose show is to replace amc. I WOULD NOT WATCH HIM IF HE WAS IN MY KITCHEN !! THIS IS THE WORST MISTAKE PROGRAMING HAS EVER DONE. PICKING ON YOUR LONGEST RUNNING FAN BASE. SHAME ON YOU!!!!! THIS WILL COME BACK TO BITE YOU BUT BY THE TIME YOU PEOPLE FIGURE IT OUT , IT WILL BE TO LATE FOR ALL OF US..... IF THIS REALLY HAPPENS ABC WILL LOOSE....

April 21 2011 at 12:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
boydspirit

I NEVER UNDERSTOOD WHY THEY CANCELED AS THE WORLD TURNS, IT WAS A REALLY GREAT SHOW , I WISHED THEY WOULD UNDERSTAND HOW BAD THIS MAKES US FEEL WHEN THEY UP AND TAKE OUR SHOWS OFF, THESE SHOWS HAVE BEEN SO MUCH APART OF US FOR MANY YEARS.IT REALLY HURTS OUR HEARTS, WHY CAN'T THEY SEE THAT?.

April 20 2011 at 3:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kays4033

One more thing...there won't be ANY reason for me to "tune in" if All My Children and One Life to Live are gone...sorry ABC...you lose...I won't watch anything you air, day or night, if you take these away.

April 19 2011 at 9:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply