October 31, 2014

'Army Wives' Season 5, Episode 3 Recap

by Allison Waldman, posted Mar 21st 2011 7:40AM
catherine_bell_army_wives_lifetime_2011['Army Wives' - 'Movement to Contact']

Well, that was the ultimate let down! With two minutes left in the show, the black SUV pulled up to the Holden home and two messengers of death stepped out to deliver the grim news that someone had died in service. Was it Michael, Jeremy, Trevor, Chase or Frank?

This isn't a tease, readers, because as you know, 'Army Wives' left us all hanging. After last week's preview, it seemed a sure thing that someone would be receiving the worst possible news tonight. Instead, the producers are dragging it out and holding off the big reveal until next Sunday. Argh!!!

For that reason alone, this episode failed to deliver. All the set-up involving Tanya's bridal shower seemed to suggest that Jeremy might be the one to die in Afghanistan. First, he had to go through the angst of Tanya deciding to call off the wedding, which was simply a case of cold feet. Right then and there, I feared for his emotional stability, especially in a war zone.

However, once she spoke to Denise and reconsidered, all was right with the couple. When he said he'd be home in two weeks and never leave her again, that felt like a tip-off that all this happiness was about to be shattered. And then the way Tanya was so joyful at the bridal shower was yet another indicator that something bad was coming.

If it turns out to be one of the other men, I'm going to be shocked. Trevor's preoccupied with Army duties and ignoring Roxy and the boys, but the story thus far has been all about Roxy and T.J. The pre-teen is clearly going through some major issues and Roxy is struggling as a single parent.

For a character as vivacious as Roxy, her change in demeanor is stark. This drama seems really truthful, too. Why shouldn't T.J. be troubled considering his family situation? And Roxy's inability to fix the problem or understand what's going on with her kid is also relatable.

As for Pamela, her life is fairly calm since she's made a decision. She's ready to rebuild a life with Chase, and even though he left on what is presumably his final Delta mission, the show has already played out him nearly dying in the field. So I don't seem them repeating the story for the two of them.

If Michael is the casualty, it'll be a huge shock. And, like Chase, he was already nearly killed in combat and survived. For that matter, so has Trevor. So, could it be Frank? I'm still thinking its Jeremy.

On the home front, Claudia's relationship with Chandler took a major turn. She stood up for herself when he treated her like a glorified assistant at the law firm, which was on-point. He'd also been deceitful, which ticked her off. Claudia has integrity, and she sure doesn't need to be abused by anyone. She's nobody's doormat.

The fact that Grant lost a child, a daughter, created a common link between him and Claudia. I can't see Claudia doing anything to jeopardize her marriage to Michael, but she and Grant are bonding over that shared loss. And she is working in his law firm.

If there's a marriage that may be on the ropes, it's the Burtons. Roland has been a saint, but you just know he's going to reach a tipping point eventually.

Joan's ambition has always been a sticking point for them, but they could always agree on Sarah Elizabeth coming first. If Joan tries to put her in the Army pre-school instead of the top-drawer Westlake school, there will be hell to pay.

'Army Wives' airs Sundays, 9PM ET on Lifetime.

Karen B

If it was Chase, their children would be there and get the flag since he is no longer married to Pamela. And Emmilyn wouldn't be be visibly upset. She would if the soldier was her good friend Jeremy, who I think it is. :(

March 25 2011 at 10:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BrooklynRose

I've got it! It's Chase! For one, his wife, Mary Stuart Masterson just announced that she is pregnant with twins (due this summer). Also, I heard he will return for another episode of 'Brothers & Sisters', so he would be spread pretty thin if he tried to do both shows and then travel back and forth to be with his family in New York. Lastly, we spent years dealing with Chase and Pamela’s volatile relationship, she and the children have finally started to adjust to their new lifestyles, and I don’t think they will go backwards again.

March 25 2011 at 9:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shell

It isnt Chase... unless the some how play this out for a few more weeks... Chase is in episode 7.

March 25 2011 at 5:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dawnierenee

CHASE DIES!!! Seriously the lifetime trailer spoils it, you can CLEARLY see the flag in Pamela's lap...sorry folks...it's chase....

March 24 2011 at 9:53 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Marie

Of all of them I really hope it's NOT Jeremy...but the clues all seem to point to him. Gosh I don't know if I can keep watching Army Wives if he isn't on there. Don't they think they've done enough by killing off one of Claudia Joy's kids? And now Denise's. Why not kill off ALL the AW kids why don't we! CJ, he's a bad kid now, stealing and breaking the arm of his best friend in a game of football. And Finn, he's cute and innocent, but then again, so was Bambi. So yeah, lets kill him too. I hope my sarcasm is obvious. I am just frustrated. He found someone he loves and wants to spend the rest of his life with and now it's time for him to die in combat, right when he's due to come home. Come on you guys, enough already. How about NO MORE deaths period! You can create drama without killing people. I have been a loyal fan since the beginning but don't know if I can keep watching if they get rid of one of my favorite characters. My sister in Duluth, MN has said the same thing. And I'm sure we're not the only 2 of the millions who are watching. It's terribly that a tv show has haunted my thoughts this whole week. I almost don't know if I can watch Sunday because the scene where they tell Denise and Tonya that it's Jeremy is gonna kill me. And then off goes the tv. Bye Bye Army Wives.

March 24 2011 at 10:11 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Conservative L.I.P.

I was all prepared for it to be Chase b/c of his recent comments about his character and because of "Pamela's maybe not spin-off". But after watching the teaser for next week I am thinking it is Jeremy. Which I don't want it to be, although for some reason I am not a fan of Tonya's character. I am also thinking Trevor will end up hurt or missing or something because of the scene on the preview of Pamela's kids running into her arms. This makes sense because Jeremy and Trevor would be out together. Or maybe it's Frank because his character has been quiet lately, or maybe it's Michael because they did show up at Claudia Joy's house. Hey, Kudos to the cast for keeping the spoilers away.

March 22 2011 at 10:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JC

It is most probably going to be Chase because he is a co-star on another cable series. His role on AW has gotten increasingly smaller so my money's on his leaving the show. Also, Pamela is the only wife who's loss would be accepted by viewers and her partner is just waiting in the wings. Of course, after the Saving Grace finale, I wouldn't put anything past cable network writers!

March 22 2011 at 8:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
berninainflorida

I'm quite sure it's not Frank either. The preview for next week, part of the voice over sounded very much like him. So my moneys on Jeremy

March 22 2011 at 3:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hello Karen

I like Army Wives but what Lifetime Network did was so poor. Thought we would know who died last night but no, have to wait another week.

March 21 2011 at 9:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jenn McLean

i think it is chase bc pamela is getting her own spin-off..makes sense to me

March 21 2011 at 5:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jenn McLean's comment
Megan

I thought it was Chase at first, too, but there is a confirmed storyline involving him (very alive) in April.

And Pamelas spin off was canceled, she is staying on Army Wives. The spin off is going to be about Gabrielle Unioms character (the detective from Atlanta), with no Pamela.

I honestly have no idea who it will be, but I'm really hoping it's not Jeremy or Trevor.

March 21 2011 at 9:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply