September 14, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Robert Knepper Brings 'Prison Break's T-Bag to 'Breakout Kings' (VIDEO)

by Jason Hughes, posted Mar 21st 2011 5:45AM
Robert Knepper, 'Breakout Kings'From 2005-2009, 'Prison Break' entertained audiences on the FOX network. But while it was uneven throughout its run, one thing remained consistently fascinating. The breakout character of the series was Theodore "T-Bag" Bagwell, played brilliantly by Robert Knepper. It would prove to be the defining role of his career, and thanks to 'Breakout Kings' (Sun., 9PM ET on A&E), he got a chance to return to the character.

The move puts the new series firmly in the same reality as 'Prison Break,' which means there is at least a remote chance of seeing some of that show's other characters.

'Kings' creators Nick Santora and Matt Olmstead were both writers and producers for 'Break' so they had a good handle on the character of Bagwell.

This time around, Bagwell escaped from prison to exact revenge on two men who'd done his mother wrong. But, being Bagwell, it was a bloody path to retribution.

In 'Breakout Kings,' cons help federal agents take down bad guys to help reduce their sentence. Jimmi Simpsons portrays the most fascinating of these in Lloyd Lowery, a twitchy brilliant man every bit as psychologically complex and beautifully portrayed as Bagwell.

The chance to get the two actors in a room together, facing off as Lowery desperately wanted a chance to analyze Bagwell, did not disappoint. The tension was palpable, and the two actors were at the top of their game as they stared one another down.

As 'Breakout Kings' continues to find its rhythm and stride, they definitely demanded attention with the return of Knepper's Bagwell. And there's a lot about the show to like so far, though it's very much an episodic procedural at this point.

Fans of 'Prison Break' grew used to long, complex and interweaving narratives across those four seasons, so they may feel the meat on these bones is a little lean. But maybe there are some deeper threads waiting to be revealed now that the show is getting more comfortable with itself.

What did you think of T-Bag's return? Who else from the 'Prison Break' world would you like to see?

Ike Rayford

Awesome show, and bringing "T-bag" back was classic! I'm so thankful for DVR's because I get to watch the show a couple of times...looking forward to a few more seasons...there is so much that can be done!

March 22 2011 at 12:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jjonesj05

I loved the brilliant move to bring back "teabags" from the wonderful Prison Break... I love this new show Breakout Kings, it will become of my "cant miss" shows... was kind of disappointed when they chose to replace the female character first introduced in the premiere I thought she was sassy and fun...but the new one may grow on me... now I would love for them to bring back all of the characters from Prison Break.. I was so totally disappointed in the finale of Prison Break.. the killing of Michael.. what a complete downer...kind of defeated the whole purpose of the show...I mean I watched this show to see the brilliant mind of Michael.. and how he worked it each week....so bring back them all... the writers can do it...as usual...

March 21 2011 at 8:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
328698277

Though not as great as some of his best moments in Prison Break, it still a good watch. It was really nice to see this crossover episode.

March 21 2011 at 3:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scottlewis59

I wanna see Sucre (sugar) or (alex) then again i'm in the 4thseason of prison breka now on netfliz so i don't know how it all ends just yet

March 21 2011 at 3:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
EuropaE

“T-Bag’s” return was awesome! I hope Robert Knepper gets an Emmy nomination for Best Guest Actor-Drama. He has that character nailed. “T-Bag” is pretty much the worse of human kind but Knepper makes him so intriguing and three dimensional you can’t help but find yourself a “fan” of the character. It’s crazy.

As for other “Prison Break” characters I’d like to see pop up on “Breakout Kings,” I’d have to say, Sucre. You got to love a man wanting to break out of the big-house for the love his girl. And unlike T-Bag, Sucre was actually a good person that made some really poor choices that caused him to end up in prison. It might be nice to see his character “on the straight and narrow” helping out the “Breakout Kings” in some way to catch someone.

March 21 2011 at 1:21 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Julia

I was facinated at learning about the new series, BreakOut Kings, and rightfully so! It's the bomb! I never saw Prison Break, but now I'm interested and will try and catch it-especially if it's gon enhance my preception of the ...Kings. "T-bag" was definitely an added goody. And finding out why he wanted those guys really made me like im. I hope he comes back around...JH-R

March 21 2011 at 1:18 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply