July 29, 2014

Syfy Announces New Reality Slate

by Elena Cox, posted Mar 22nd 2011 12:45PM
Apparently "imagine greater" means more reality shows to Syfy. The network has announced a slate of new programs from rocker Tommy Lee's 'Culture Shock' to a series about movie monster creators.

After the success with other unscripted shows like 'Face Off' and 'Ghost Hunters,' Syfy will launch 'Haunted Collector,' 'Legend Quest' and 'Culture Shock with Tommy Lee' later this year, according to Hollywood Reporter.

Syfy original programming president Mark Stern told Variety Syfy's recent rebranding allowed the network explore more reality platforms.

"I think that it's very important to us as we go deeper into reality that it feel appropriate and relevant," Stern said.

'Haunted Collector,' about a family who seeks out haunted items to store in their own museum will launch first, followed by 'Legend Quest,' about a real-live symbologist who searches for mystical artifacts.

'Paranormal Witness,' a documentary-like series about people who have dealt with paranormal experiences. The show will include both personal testimony and dramatic reenactments.

However, that's not all Syfy will be introducing to viewers. Variety reports the channel will be picking up even more reality shows, including 'Dinner With Deepak,' hosted by bestselling author Deepak Chopra, and 'Tyler Shields,' which documents the life of the art photographer. 'Shields' is set to be produced by 'Star Trek' actor Zachary Quinto.

A third show, 'Monster Man," will follow "creature fabricator" Cleve Hall and his group of monster creators. SyFy has called the show its own 'American Chopper.'

Tell us: Are you impressed with Syfy's new reality offerings?

mercdragonpb

The question was, "Are we impressed by the new line up of programming?"

As none of the executives of the SciFi Channel are likely to even glance at this or any other comments, it will continue to slide down hill fast.

Lately the best SciFi has been over on BBC America, where they are ready to bring back Dr. Who, campy, but better than WWE. Then there is Primeval, and a few more soon to be announced. When SciFi Channel was started they were the channel to have in your list to watch. Now, it is just another wasted slot in the spectrum of broadcast channels.

What had been the premier channel for scifi shows is now just another channel full of the same junk programming as the commercial channels we all left behind. Once more the lowest common denominator, mindless drivel is the fare of the hour.

Shore Leave 33 at Hunt Valley, MD in July will be a welcome relief.

Take care and be safe
pfb

March 29 2011 at 10:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff Haskell

By "explore new options" you mean be a sell out network for crap. You really think anyone watches you now with... let me see... NO SCI-FI on your station. No Firefly type shows, No Stargate (don't get me started about that crap SGU), no BSG.... where has the Sci-Fi gone... oh yeah, it was re-branded.

March 29 2011 at 3:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cleta

I knew SyFy was going down the tubes when they put the WWE on it. I remember when CM Punk was a guest investigator on one episode of GH, it was a Halloween special, and that was ok. But to have it every week...the only good shows on there are Being Human (which they stole from England I know) and GH (which takes place in my home state). Other than that the programming sucks.

March 28 2011 at 1:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
boo

since sci-fi let shows like stargate and battlestar go and now letting SGU take a dive and shot down Eureka whats left to watch......reality shows are anything but real, at least with real sci-fi you could dream. i guess there just cop ing out.... it was my best network.....but now its just " SGU "and when its gone so will syfy .............from my tv anyway

March 27 2011 at 11:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
charlie15

I agree with many of the other comments here. I used to love "Sci-Fi" but can't say the same about "syfy". I too loved the Stargate shows, and the science fiction we used to see. Now I rarely look to the network as the shows have gotten more mindless. Now they will add more psuedo reality shows and lose more of the old loyal viewers. There was a time when I would travel out of town and always look to see which channel sci-fi was on for the local cable system. Now I won't bother ayny longer.

March 27 2011 at 9:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
papa joom

I have a great show idea for them involving my fellow paranormal investigator and myself..has a twist :)

March 27 2011 at 1:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Windowpane

You know, the sci-fi audience was interested in an intelligent take on what could be possible with science if you allowed your imagination to soar! Eureka!!! Stargate Atlantis!! Battlestar Galactica!! Where does wrestling fit in? and every time I watch one of those SyFy movies I am sick. How does horror equal sci-fi?! Now reality TV is ridiculous. I was never a fan of of Ghost hunters. But my favorite genre in the world has gone to the pits. Bad writing, poor production-cheap, cheap, cheap. They need people who really love sci-fi back.

March 27 2011 at 11:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Emily the SciFi Geek

Dude, is 'SyFy' supposed to mean Science-fiction? Because from the definition of this 'sci-fi channel' it sure as hell doesn't!! DOES WRESTLING LOOK LIKE SCIENCE-FICTION TO YOU?!!

And MORE reality tv shows? Really? You're REALLY going to go there?!

For shame, SyFy, for shame.

March 27 2011 at 7:51 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Burt

Apparently SyFy's slogan "Imagine Greater" means "imagine greater disappointment" or "imagine greater revenues". It certainly doesn't stand for "imagine greater loyalty" or "imagine greater viewer satisfaction". Instead SyFy is going down the road of pandering to the mindless droolers who love reality TV because it makes their UNimaginative lives look tolerable. They had some really great shows (Haven, Sanctuary, Merlin, Eureka, Stargate, etc.) that apparently are being/have been shelved because they make people think or use their imagination too much. Apparently using one's imagination and being forced to think is bad for viewership. It looks like I am going to have even fewer choices to watch now as I refuse to watch "reality shows".

March 25 2011 at 5:30 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
sassytarheel

Sy Fy has gone downhill since they stopped doing what they USED to do best...which was science-fiction shows like all the Stargate shows. Now they just show crappy paranormal reality shows, wrestling, and z-list movies (yes, that's right...lower than b-movies...b-movies can admittedly be good sometimes...z-list are never good). I swear I'm going to have to quit watching this network. This to a permanent downward spiral when they changed the name from Sci-Fi to the craptastic SyFy.

March 25 2011 at 3:42 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply