October 22, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Internet Sensation Rebecca Black Sings 'Friday' on 'The Tonight Show' (VIDEO)

by Jason Hughes, posted Mar 23rd 2011 3:27AM
Rebecca Black, 'The Tonight Show with Jay Leno'At 36.5 million views of her 'Friday' video on YouTube as of this writing, Rebecca Black's reign as the current queen of Internet buzz is continuing strong. All the attention got her a spot on 'The Tonight Show' (Weeknights, 11:35PM ET on NBC), where she performed the song and even got to chat with Jay Leno.

Sure, her success has come on the heels of a ditty many are considering the worst song ever written. But as they say in show business, there's no such thing as bad publicity.

When Leno asked her if she'd seen some of the online parodies of her song, she said, "I think they can either be really hilarious and make me laugh like 'til I cry, but others are really lame."

Leno then showed one of the parodies -- itself at more than 1.3 million hits -- which Black appreciated. "That was good," she said. Clearly there's momentum yet on this 'Friday' train.

Black is raking in solid money from iTunes downloads of her song, and as long as she keeps her expectations realistic, we say she should have fun on this ride until it ends. She was certainly comfortable and confident on stage and singing.

Watch Rebecca Black's full interview here:

Sarah

She her voice sounds like some animated character.... like a really sick duck or something.....

April 12 2011 at 4:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
darkfaiis

LIE! Your mom said "My daughter is interested who do I make the check out to?"

March 23 2011 at 10:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
calihockey

No talent. Simply awful. A true sign of how bad the taste of today's kids is. When I was in Middle School, our most popular MUSICIANS were Kurt Cobain, Notorious B.I.G., Tupac Shakur, Snoop Dogg, Eddie Vedder, and other incredible talents who actually wrote their songs.

They had her "sing"...it was a girl lip synching to a synthesizer. This is pathetic. Seriously, did kids go deaf?

March 23 2011 at 6:28 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to calihockey's comment
holivera1

I agree with You fully...!

March 24 2011 at 1:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kara

LOLZ did her mom pay him to let her sing on the show? I hear her mom paid 2 grand to get her crappy video produced.

March 23 2011 at 4:09 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
traumajunkie3

Leno has become dumber and dumber ....almost makes me wish Conan had stayed.....I used to enjoy Leno but now he is just as mean spirited as Letterman

March 23 2011 at 2:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gregginsarasota

It's obvious we are desperate for "entertainment". We have a generation of kids who do not know what real music is!
In my humble opinion, good pop music had it's first foot in the grave in the 1990's and has evolved into garbage.
It's such a shame. I used to purchase an LP every other week (payday) ....yes it was vinyl. I haven't bought a new album in years. There's not much out there anymore...a lot of reycyled junk. So, why are so many people listening to "classic rock" radio stations? There isn't any good music being produced these days. Bye-bye, Miss American Pie..... gregg in Sarasota, FL

March 23 2011 at 1:06 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Allan

Im sick of this song...go back to school Rebecca....u got a better career there

March 23 2011 at 11:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
slipin21

im concerned that americans are starting to go deaf

March 23 2011 at 11:56 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
nathanieletc

Careful what you're watching before you insult somebody, everyone. In this case it's painfully obvious that the Tonight Show crew overmixed the backing vocals, leaving us no opportunity to analyze any talent she may or may not have.

Anyway, Jason is right, she's got some serious stage and public interview confidence, and that goes a long way in being a public figure at her age.

March 23 2011 at 11:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GREENS

Billie Holliday, Ella Fitzgerald, even today's Celine Dion and Barbra Streisand are spinning in their grave over this girl. This is some sick and twisted joke, on her. She's no more singing that song than I am. This is really pathetic.

March 23 2011 at 11:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply