April 25, 2014

'The Good Wife' Season 2, Episode 17 Recap

by Chris Harnick, posted Mar 23rd 2011 1:00AM

The Good Wife Recap['The Good Wife' - 'Ham Sandwich']

Kalinda!!!!!!

That pretty much sums up this episode of 'The Good Wife.'

The writers of this fine show had been teasing this episode on Twitter, predicting I'd have one very big gasp. They were right!

Everything we know and love about 'The Good Wife' and the solid friendship that Kalinda and Alicia built is about to change.

Over the last few weeks we've seen the State's Attorney slowly build his case against Kalinda, but the result was far from what viewers expected.

Kalinda slept with Peter!? Never in a million years would I have guessed that. Ever. I don't think I'm alone in being blown away by this. If you saw it coming, kudos. When Alicia finds out ... well, we'll see if she'll still be 'The Good Wife.'

The Kalinda shocker completely overshadowed the entire episode's happenings, including the Will/Blake revelation. Their prior dealings had been hinted at before, but now we know Blake worked with Will and covered up a theft. What kind of theft? Money? A certain darkness in Will has been boiling to the surface lately, brought on by the men who came to the firm this season.

Besides the two major bombshells, the newly Bond-free Lockhart Gardner law firm represented notorious drug kingpin Lemond Bishop in his divorce case, Grace explored Eli Gold's political racism and Diane got way too few scenes.

Representing Bishop gave audiences more insight into Alicia's mindset in regards to love and marriage. 'The Good Wife' has a way of having even the most subtle lines be very telling. For example, the look Alicia gave when David Lee said, "[Bishop is] in love and people in love do desperate things," was more telling than any dialogue the writers could've written for her. He's in love, yet he had an affair and is now playing hardball with the divorce? Right.

The messy divorce proceedings came to a halt when Bishop's wife suddenly overdosed. Her lawyer blamed Bishop for making the overdose happen and the look on Alicia's face sad it all: She and the firm are in over their head with this guy. Lockhart Gardner and Bishop's partnership will not end well. However, it was quite cunning of Kalinda to link her indictment hearings with the Bishop divorce by painting Blake as the man having an affair with Bishop's wife.

Now it's time for the "Florrick kids and State's Attorney campaign slow everything down" rant. Grace's religion storyline hopefully came to a head tonight. Silly me for doubting the writers introduced the plot just to give Grace something to do, of course there was a purpose. While the Grace/Eli storyline did slow things down and take away from the epicness of Kalinda's story, it wasn't as bad as previous weeks. Plus, it gave Alicia reason to give Eli a verbal smackdown, one he had coming for a while. He was getting too cocky, as evidenced by his opening scene where he pulled down his pants for the Democratic Party rep to kiss his butt.

I was hoping we'd meet Kalinda's former (?) husband in this episode, but the outcome of her indictment was much more shocking. The scene with Cary and Alicia on the phone was beyond sweet. Prior to the end of last season, the two really started to form a friendship. It was nice to see that return, even for a second.

Another great scene: Alicia and Kalinda at the bar. Of course they were swigging tequila. Drunk Alicia is always tiny comic highlight in such a dramatic series. The conversations between Alicia and Kalinda always seem to have veiled sad meanings ... now we know why. I'm torn up thinking about what will happen to their friendship.

'Ham Sandwich' was what you call a game-changing episode. A solid hour of TV that progressed/wrapped up current plots and set the stage for some very major episodes to come.

What happens now? How will the relationships change? How much more will I gasp in an hour? Find out next week!

Total gasp count: 2 ... and I'm still gasping after that last scene.

Some other things:

• This episode lacked some serious Diane action. I'm loving all the Kalinda and Alicia character development, but please, let's not forget Diane.

• "You know what your problem is? ... You didn't get your tubes tied." I guess Kalinda knows one of my only issues with the show!

• "Ever get the feeling something bad is going to happen?"
"All the time."

• "I refuse to answer on the grounds that it may incriminate me."

Did you see the Kalinda/Peter shocker coming? Do you think Alicia and Kalinda's friendship can endure the revelation? Can Alicia and Peter's marriage survive?

'The Good Wife' airs Tuesdays, 10PM ET on CBS.

Follow Chris Harnick on Twitter.

Brett Alan

This show is very, very good, although I do feel bad about the revelations--I want to *like* Kalinda. And Will, although I have a feeling that what he's done will be more forgivable. (Not many things are less forgivable than sleeping with your best friend's husband! Granted it wasn't her best friend yet, but still....)

One question: Blake didn't *really* sleep with Mrs. Bishop, right? If not, why would he know (or be expected to know) the significance of that hotel room number?

March 25 2011 at 1:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sandinbox

who cares about rock face (Alicia)...kalinda, kerry, diane and the political consultant are the most interesting characters on the show.

March 24 2011 at 10:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
thatmichaelkidd

KALINDAAAA!!

I really enjoy learning more and more about Kalinda every week and seeing her slowly develop piece by piece. She's really turning out to be such a fantastic character, and I can't wait for more. I just hate that now it's going to affect her relationship with Alicia. Kalinda seems to be one of the few people that Alicia lets her guard down in front of, and their scenes together are some of the best on the show. Who else is Alicia going to drink with?! Owen will have to become a series regular in order to fulfill my drunk Alicia desires!

This season finale is going to be so epic, I'm sure of it!!

March 23 2011 at 3:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
venicementor

As I recall, but I may be mistaken, but in the beginning there was an episode where it certainly gave me the feeling that Kalinda may have slept with Peter. It was a scene in the beginning when Kalinda and Alecia were starting to work together and Alecia was in thick of it with Peter. I need to see all of the episodes in order to pinpoint which one it was, but hearing this at the end, did not surprise me at all. I love the show, find it very interesting and can't wait for the next episode.

March 23 2011 at 2:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to venicementor's comment
Donna

I'm certain that you're right because I also seem to recall the affair being alluded to earlier in the series too. I can't honestly remember when it happened - whether it was this season or last - but it did happen so last night's "revelation" wasn't a surprise to me either. Thanks for confirming that I haven't lost my mind, venicementor!

March 23 2011 at 11:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hollandcl

I thought it was anti-clamatic with Kalinda. We all knew that Peter wasn't unfaithful to Alicia only that one time when he was caught, so now we know he did it with Kalinda too. So, when Alica finds out, their friendship will be tested. Not too big a deal.

What I really wanted to know was what prompted Kalinda to changed her name? What is her past as Leela? We know she is not a virgin so her sleeping with Peter isn't that much of an interesting discovery.

March 23 2011 at 1:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melany C.

I just wanted to say that I agree with absolutely everything you wrote! I cannot BELIEVE that there was a thing at some point in time between Peter and Kalinda - what IS that??! I gasped all throughout that last scene. And yeah, I thought the conversation over the phone between Cary and Alicia was adorable. Same in regards to Alicia and Kalinda's friendship: what's gonna happen now?! And I thought the same thing: let's not forget Diane - she only had one scene! And I, too, was sooo hoping t learn a bit more about Kalinda's alleged husband - well, hopefully next episode will reveal more details! :D

March 23 2011 at 1:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Melany C.'s comment
Elvira

I have to say I also was totally shocked at that last scene -- shocked and more than a little upset. I don't like the idea that Alicia and Kalinda's friendship will probably go up in smoke. And I agree -- there was not enough Diane in this episode. Far as I'm concerned, Diane is worth the price of admission on this show. Christine Baranski is nothing short of awesome.

March 23 2011 at 12:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply