'American Idol' Recap: Hulk Hogan, Stevie Wonder and a Dramatic Ending to Elimination Show

by Hilary Rothing, posted Mar 24th 2011 10:27PM
Now that's how you do a results show!

Stevie Wonder! Hulk Hogan! A shocking elimination followed by a dramatic save! Kudos, Nigel and company. Poor Sugarland, will anyone remember their performance after all those theatrics?

Not to toot horns of any kind, but I've been saying for a while that Casey Abrams' shtick, if you will, would get old eventually. But I wasn't expecting his shelf life to be quite this short. Maybe it's just a testament to the influence of the performance order or maybe, as J.Lo and Randy said as Casey continued to reel from disbelief, it's time to stop the "antics" and "growling" and really shine.

How exactly Casey wound up with the smallest chunk of 30 million votes appeared to be a shock to everyone, including Randy Jackson, whose jaw dropped at the news. But Thia Megia and Stefano Langone's slots in the bottom three were all but reserved after last night.

Thia's been flying well under the radar for weeks now, but her consistent passing grades from the judges may have kept her afloat. Stefano began to struggle over the past two weeks and the revelation of a past DUI may have soured America on the 21-year-old whose inspiring tale of recovery from a serious car accident was a major part of his backstory.

Motown night was good to bottom three contenders Haley Reinhart and Naima Adedapo. In fact, Naima and Haley both seemed convinced that their grouping with Casey was a total fake out. And was it ever!

Randy cutting Casey's performance off straight away wasn't surprising. There was no way the judges weren't going to give him the save, so why waste the time?

And the fact that all 11 will make the tour left me with a warm, fuzzy feeling after an hour of major drama.

While Casey may have suffered from the opening act treatment last night, tonight's spectacle will give him more mileage than the pimp spot and a standing ovation. If he buckles down, the momentum from tonight and a couple of good performances will keep him alive and well for weeks. If anyone should be prepping hard for next week, it's Stefano and Thia. Both have some serious homework to do in order to turn things around quickly.

Kind of hard to believe the results topped the early surprises in the hour. Stevie Wonder surprising Steven Tyler with a birthday serenade was a sweet moment. And Marc Anthony teaching the kids how to work with the in-ear mixes of their songs was apparently very necessary -- and totally random. Jennifer Hudson gave a powerful performance of latest single, giving the kids a glimpse at just how much 'Idol' can change their lives.

And of course, I loved the Hulkster's surprise appearance. James Durbin seemed more shocked by the possibility of hitting the bottom three than Hogan's visit. But after Casey's walk on the dark side, all the 'Idols' should be on alert.

Maybe now that they've vacated the "Haunted 'American Idol' Mansion of Horrors," things will get back to normal. Nothing like the ghosts of Nikki McKibbin and Jessica Sierra to keep you up at night.

After tonight's results show shocker, take a moment to reassess who you think will be the next 'American Idol' and let us know in the poll below!

'American Idol' airs Wednesdays and Thursdays at 8PM ET on Fox.

ksm1352

Jacob Needs to go next....................

March 26 2011 at 4:07 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
xiaojin

Pia will probably win this thing. She just needs to show her legs one of these days, that will go a long way.

March 26 2011 at 3:17 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Billie Kathryn

The talent this year is awesome, but considering all aspects of show business and what's required to really make it, I truly believe Jacob is by far the most talented, poised, humbled, and deserving of all. Scotty is wonderful, and will be in for the long haul when you consider he's still so wet behind the ears. Naima is extremely talented, and it seems she would be a great all-around performer on an Vegas stage. Though Pia has an above average voice, she comes across as a bit of a snob, wrapped up in her own importance and obvious beauty. That could be her major cause for defeat. Casey is a train wreck just waiting to happen. The rest are a dime a dozen everywhere.

March 26 2011 at 2:51 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Phyl

Love Scotty...what a nice looking, clean- cut young man who has worlds of talent.

March 26 2011 at 1:58 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
Jene

Scotty is the best singer yet!! That young man can sing. Hope he wins.

March 26 2011 at 1:15 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
GRANDMA

I LOVE SCOTTY! HE IS SO TALENTED - HOPE HE WINS, WHERE IN THE WORLD DID HE COME FROM AND WHY HAVEN'T WE HEARD ABOUT HIM BEFORE????????

March 25 2011 at 6:35 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Emails Only

Obviously they all have great voices this year, not a fan of Niama but they all do. That was shocking Casey was going to be sent home, I'm glad they saved him but his emotion was a little creepy afterwards. Pia is great but something is missing. Paul is good also but for a band. Scotty is amazing also but for country. Lauren is amazing a little blend of Kelly and Carrie. Love her. I can't believe Hailey is in the bottom three. AMAZING also...I just don't get it at all about her at the bottom. She seems sweet and nice and a kick ... voice! She is the most overall talented singer, even though she is not my favorite but my 2nd. I think even if Lauren doesn't make it she will shine on the billboards! Stefano sounds good but at times sounds like he is singing through his nose. James is good I hoenstly cant say anything bad about them this year. What a judge panel this year Steven Tyler boy do I love you. I thought of him as this rock and roll drug addict with a attitude, but not at all he has the rock and roll but he is goofy and funny and so sweet. WOW just a nice surprise and of course Jennifer Lopez is the same sweet girl! Randy of course the same too! I love this year and of course we all miss Simon but... this is a taste of how AI will be for the next couple years then I am all for it and will watch every year!

March 25 2011 at 4:28 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
Susan

You make me laugh, geldonski. You are on here calling millions of people losers, yet your the one on this site reading about American Idol last night. Do you know how "STUPID" that makes you look and sound? Don't be a hater just because you are miserable. Casey, I am glad you are still in the competition, because you deserve to make it to the top. Last night I think American Idol was one of the best shows in the history of American Idol. Such talent this year, just, when you think it can't get any better, it does. I can't wait to watch the show next , the only thing that could be better if I could have tickets to be there in person.

March 25 2011 at 3:30 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Susan's comment
L78lancer

That clown probably has a stack of VCR tapes of all the shows dating back to the first season. He knows he's a closet IDOLer.

March 25 2011 at 3:35 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Tommy

Ok guys you know Casey can't win this,I feel this was an insult to america,we will show J. Lo and Randy that they can't keep their favorites alive sorry.TOM

March 25 2011 at 3:22 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Tommy's comment
kingpsyz

An insult to America? Please seal your windows and doors with tarps and duct tape... The radiation winds must be sweeping in from Japan already where you live.

March 25 2011 at 9:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
welcome milord!

THE NAME

I salute this three FAIR JUDGES for saving THE OUTSTANDING TALENT- Casey Abramovic ! If you need more explanations, please, contact me !

Dr.Rado