December 22, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Ben Stiller Tells David Letterman a Ghost Story (VIDEO)

by Oliver Miller, posted Mar 24th 2011 3:10AM
Ben Stiller Tells David Letterman a Ghost Story"I'm aware of ghosts," Ben Stiller said on 'Late Show' (Weeknights, 11:35PM ET on CBS). This was David Letterman's response: "Wait a minute, stop right there. When you say ... you're aware of ghosts?" The host then paused, looking confused.

Yes, Ben Stiller kind of believes in ghosts. In fact, he was raised in a house in Nantucket that was supposedly haunted by the ghost of a dead baby, which came in handy when the teenage Mr. Stiller wanted to blame someone else for his own infractions. "Lose your wallet? ... Oh, the ghost baby did it. ... My dad would go, 'I smell pot.' The ghost baby [did it.]"

Although Ben believes in ghosts, his wife Christine does not. Still, he went on to relate a ghostly tale that took place in their current house. One night, Ben saw a terrifying apparition standing in front of him, wrapped in an unearthly nightgown. ... Luckily, it turned out to be his mother-in-law, who was staying there for an unannounced visit. Still -- ghosts, mothers-in-law ... they're both kind of terrifying, to a certain type of mindset.

Mike Siroky

That celebrity Ghost stories show has some surprisngly candid rcollections. Joan Rivers had a compelling one about her renovated NY townhouse. The dad from Eight is Enough had a career-changing one. Even Max from dancing with the stars. I think it's the kind of thing if you have a once in a lifetime experience, you believe it and maybe don't talk all that much about it until asked. But I believe there can be connections.

March 24 2011 at 4:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kmills1019

I saw I think it was Orson Bean tell Johnny Carson one that gave me chills.

March 24 2011 at 1:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lawrencefishberg

I AM HAUNTED BY HIS AWFUL MOVIES....IN WHICH THERE ARE QUITE A NUMBER TO CHOOSE FROM....BOOOO!

March 24 2011 at 12:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Linda B

The best ghost story I ever heard was told by Telly Savalas.

March 24 2011 at 11:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Linda B's comment
spnky12793

Linda -
I remember that story you speak of. Telly was on a talk show one night (I've forgotten which one), and my parents and I listened to him talk about giving a ride home to a man one evening. If memory serves, I believe the man left some artifact, possibly his wallet (I could be wrong) in Telly's car. Telly, through some circumstances, managed to eventually find out that the gentleman had died some time before.
(Pardon me if I haven't replicated the story verbatim: it was a long while ago, and it fascinated and frightened my mother as well.)

March 24 2011 at 12:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cayce58

All you have to do is be open. Strange things happen to a lot of people but they dismiss the incident and put it out of their memory. I was touring an attic with wife and real estate broker. Wall and door in middle. Floor had warped and I couldn't move door. When we went through the door it slammed hard behind us. If I refused to believe in ghosts, I would have forgotten the incident.

March 24 2011 at 11:27 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to cayce58's comment
GaryandHarriett

I lived in a haunted house next to a cemetery. The house was very old and at one time had an upstairs porch. One night I was going upstairs and saw the figure of a woman in a grand dress pass by, supposedly on her way to the porch. I heard the door open and shut and only then did I finish going up the stairs. After that, my parents took out the door and put in a window but I still occasionally saw the figure at the window. I have also felt a very warm hand on my back while I was sleeping in a bedroom very close to that porch. I was never scared and it was always a topic of conversation.

March 24 2011 at 11:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply