September 23, 2014

'Fringe' Gets Renewed for a Fourth Season

by Harley W. Lond, posted Mar 24th 2011 11:52PM

Fox's 'Fringe' may be on the fringe of Friday night viewing, but that hasn't stopped the network from renewing the series for a fourth season -- and with a vote-of-confidence order of 22 episodes.

The sci-fi show -- from J.J. Abrams, Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman -- has been pushed about from night to night by Fox; it debuted on Tuesdays, moved to Thursdays and recently was shunted to Friday, where its low ratings got even lower. The show garnered a series low 1.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic in its most recent episode -- down 13 percent from the previous week -- with a viewership of 3.6 million, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

But according to Deadline, Fox was high on the series' creative direction and upbeat about its chances. Additionally, the show does well with DVR numbers.

'Fringe' executive producer J.H. Wyman noted the renewal on his Twitter account: "Fringe was picked up!!!! Thanks Fringedom!"

Sheila

I just love this show. It is the only show that I look forward to watching. Lost is gone and X-files long gone. This show takes there place.

May 06 2011 at 10:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
goobyguy1

ME LIKEY FRINGE , YOU KEEPA DA SHOW OK ? OK

March 28 2011 at 2:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John G

One key item with the DVR crowd---if you zip through the commercial breaks, or do not watch with a certain time frame, they don't count you as having watched the episode. The best thing to do is let it run through within a couple of days of airing.

March 27 2011 at 1:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
qapla5

This is too good to be true. I hope that everyone on the production side of "Fringe" takes this as a warning flag and sets up a good exit strategy. I would hate for the show to get too tied up in a major plotline next season only to find out that Fox decides not to renew for another season and the producers have to find a way to end the show in a way that makes sense without making sure everything is properly resolved.

March 27 2011 at 3:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gr82babuckeye

I dvr this show every week and have never missed an episode! It is one of my favorites along with House and Bones. Please never get rid of any of these shows. My only complaint is with the full episodes from the "other" side.

March 27 2011 at 3:01 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Bill Barbour

I'm GLAD to hear that they kept the show!!! Smart move Fox!!

March 27 2011 at 2:52 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
patsuppa

Fringe is a great show that continues to improve as the series progresses. I'm happy to see it renewed. This past season has seen really significant character development. I DVR it every week to make sure I don't miss a single episode. Good decision Fox!

March 27 2011 at 1:32 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
vbruce49

You can broadcast this show whenever you like, my wife and I will record it along with all the other Fringe episodes and watch them again and again. This is one of the best series on TV at the present time.

March 27 2011 at 1:02 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Javed Mode

I watched it but got bored. But I am happy for it cuz most other shows are much worse these days. Bring back 'The X-Files'! Now that was like nothing ever before. An iconic show! 'Fringe' started off as a rip off.

March 27 2011 at 1:02 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
GARFIELD

Fringe is a great show...I am a little surprised the ratings are so low in the Friday nite timeslot....must be because of Supernatural..equally great show!

March 27 2011 at 1:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply