October 24, 2014

'Fringe' Season 3, Episode 18 Recap

by Mike Moody, posted Mar 27th 2011 11:40AM
fringe bloodline recap, fringe bloodline['Fringe' - 'Bloodline']

The adventures of Ghost William Bell were put on hold (as was our enjoyment of Anna Torv's Leonard Nimoy impression) as 'Fringe' yanked us back Over There, where airships dot the sky, Opus is a peahen, and Coppola directed 'Taxi Driver.'

Our investment in the Alters (that's what I'm calling Walternate, Fauxlivia and their pals) was integral to the success of this week's excellent episode, aptly titled 'Bloodline.'

The Alters, who could have easily been presented as thinly drawn villains or caricatures this season, have become some of the most compelling characters on the show. Thanks to some great writing, solid character development and a few outstanding performances, I've come to care about these alt-folks almost as much as I care about Our Fringe Team (and I'm guessing that most of you feel the same way). So it wasn't hard for me to become extremely emotionally invested in this week's story and to root for Fauxlivia and her unborn baby. Saying that I got there emotionally during that intense delivery scene would be a huge understatement.

'Fringe' has a way of humanizing its monsters and villains. Last week's undead "soul vampire" was only trying to find a way to reunite with her family in the afterlife. The week before that, an obsessed father was killing off medical test subjects in an attempt to heal his paralyzed son. And for most of Season 3, the show has even offered glimpses at the softer side of Walternate, aka the evil genius who wants to destroy Our World.

Walternate is a dark and manipulative soul, but he does have a heart. He's obviously committed to protecting his world's children, and that's why he rejected Alt Brandon's idea to dose kiddos with cortexiphan. I'll admit that, at first, I didn't suspect that Walternate was the architect of this week's Fauxlivia-nabbing, pregnancy-inducing madness, mostly because of his decision not to experiment on children. But, yeah, I was wrong. It turns out that his moral compass is even more askew than we once thought.

Walternate's plan to speed up Fauxlivia's pregnancy was cold and brutal, and it led to the most unsettling visual effect of the night – a full grown baby seemingly trying to claw its way out of her belly. (Super creepy, even by 'Fringe' standards.) But the scheme saved Fauxlivia and her baby by outrunning the VPE. Hooray!

So did Walternate hatch this plan in order to save Fauxlivia and the baby? No, probably not. The confirmation about Fauxlivia having VPE came well after the kidnapping, and there's no way Walternate could have known that she was a carrier. Walternate obviously ordered Alt Brandon and crew to speed up the delivery with more sinister purposes in mind – like using the baby to learn how to cross over to Our World and/or lure Peter back Over There. Or, even more unsettling, attempting to use the baby or his blood to power the machine. He is Peter's offspring, so it's likely that Baby Boy Dunham could end up being the new battery Walternate needs to power up his potentially world-shattering toy.

And what are we to make of the appearance of The Observer and his sole line, "It is happening"? Strange things are in motion, and with Peter now father to Fauxlivia's child, things don't look good for his relationship with Olivia or for the future of Our World.

It was great to see Henry the Cabdriver (guest star Andre Royo) return. It was double great to learn that he still worries about Olivia and likes to keep an eye out for her. The delivery scene, with Henry leading the way and Lincoln holding Fauxlivia close, will easily go down as one of the most memorable scenes of the season. The intensity of it all made me kinda love Henry, Lincoln and Fauxlivia even more than I already did.

One of the most intriguing scenes came at the end, with Lincoln and Alt Charlie discussing everything Walternate had revealed to them. They don't trust him anymore, and it seems like it's only a matter of time before they abandon his war in favor of the "better way" Peter and Olivia have spoken of previously.

Other thoughts:

- Earlier in the ep, Charlie said Lincoln had "a thing for Liv," and Lincoln later admitted that he loved her. He also seemed jealous that he wasn't the guy she "cheated with." Kinda makes you wonder if Lincoln and Peter will eventually come to blows over their mutual feelings for Fauxlivia.

- Fauxlivia's scenes with her mother Marilyn were extremely well written and executed here, even though they didn't' really have to be to keep the plot moving. Amy Madigan is a great addition to the series.

- I wonder if the cute Bug Girl will help Charlie get rid of his Blood Spiders.

- Oh, and for those who haven't heard, 'Fringe' was renewed for a fourth season! And we're only a few episodes away from the end of Season 3. Got any thoughts on how the current arc will end, in light of the renewal, or what Season 4 might look like? Let's hear 'em in the comments.

- One more thing ... William Bell himself, Leonard Nimoy, turned 80 this weekend! Happy b-day, Not Spock!

'Fringe' airs Fridays at 9PM ET on Fox.

[Follow @mikemoody on Twitter]

Watch the full episode here:

Robert T

Speaking of Taxi Drivers, did anyone's radar go up when AltCharlie mentioned Travis Bickle and Taxi Driver and Lincoln had no idea what he was talking about?

April 04 2011 at 4:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Robert T's comment
Robert T

I'm stupid....forgot who directed Taxi Driver....AltCharlie said Coppola, Lincoln just didn't know the movie obviously. Fringe makes you jump on the conspiracy train even when none exists sometimes.

April 04 2011 at 4:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Robert T's comment
Robert T

On third thought (yes, I said it)....why did Lincoln NOT know about Taxi Driver?

April 04 2011 at 5:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down
Jeannie Moody

I still don't have a lot of love for the Alters....But maybe next season. I did feel badly for Fauxlivia though.

March 30 2011 at 12:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brett Alan

Glad the Fringe recaps are back! Missed them the last couple of weeks.

This week was solid, but not their best. Very nice indeed to see Henry Higgins back.

March 28 2011 at 1:40 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
JessieLeah

OMG!! I'm such a dope! I didn't make the connection of the Lincolns from our universe to the Alter. Either I'm incredibly stupid (which I do have my moments) or this show has some of the best acting on TV. Anna Torv's impression of Leonard Nemoy was awesome - I will go with the best acting on TV rather than declare myself stupid.

The delivery scene was awesome and I too was glad to see the taxi driver back and stirring the pot. I can't wait to see which direction the show goes in. Either our universe or theirs - two shows in one. If one universe is destroyed, we always have the other. As much as I didn't want to like the Alter peeps - I like all of them just as much as our universe peeps with the exception of Walternate. Just because he refuses to experiment on children hasn't made me like him. He wanted to kill Olivia and Broyles (his Broyles) he did kill without thought and that dude had a family. I also think Walternate sped up Fauxlivia's pregnancy to get the machine working. Anyway, I love the show...

I'm so glad the show is coming back for a fourth season. Even though awards are really no big deal, I seriously hope this show gets recognized for it's great cast and storytelling. I love it!

March 28 2011 at 10:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
zita

I don't know why we should assume that Walternate didn't know about Fauxlivia's VPE issue. It ought to have come up during her clearance (as an agent) that her sister died due to it... He may be lacking in morals but he doesn't look like someone who would let that big an issue get by him...

March 27 2011 at 3:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to zita's comment
Mike Moody

I see your point, but Fauxlivia wasn't diagnosed as a carrier until after she was kidnapped. I'm sure Walternate knew that she had the potential to be a carrier, but who knows for sure ... he's resources are vast.

March 27 2011 at 4:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordon Werner

Is our universe Lincoln going to become a recurring character in our Universe's Fringe team (now that he knows of it's existence)

March 27 2011 at 2:22 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Gordon Werner's comment
mikemoody212

I've been wondering the same thing. Seth Gabel's performance(es) has (have) been a pleasant surprise this season. You listening, show?

March 28 2011 at 12:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John G

If the "brains" that run FOX would have cancelled this show in favor of more mind numbing, brain toasting drivel like the x factor, I think I would have crawled up on the roof and tossed the satellite dish out to curb for the garbageman to pick up.

March 27 2011 at 12:52 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
dcwdvl

The thing I've always wondered is what happened to Alter-Bell.

But anyways, amazing episode -- although very strange. Lincoln and Charlie are great, and would love to see half our universe/half theirs.

March 27 2011 at 12:00 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to dcwdvl's comment
R

He died in a car crash.

March 27 2011 at 1:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike Moody

Yes, Our William Bell explained to Walter several episodes ago that his Alter self passed away at a young age in a car crash, and he never met Walternate.

March 27 2011 at 2:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply