November 23, 2014

'Barefoot Contessa' Ina Garten Will Meet 6-Year-Old Cancer Patient After All

by PopEater Staff, posted Mar 28th 2011 3:05PM

'Barefoot Contessa' Ina Garten Refuses to Meet 6-Year-Old Cancer PatientIna Garten was cooking up some seriously bad karma along with her culinary creations when she refused -- twice -- to meet a 6-year-old boy suffering from cancer.

Now, according to a statement from Garten, known to many by her TV moniker 'Barefoot Contessa,' the boy has been invited to visit the set of her show.

"Ina became aware of Enzo's story this weekend and will be calling him today," a spokesperson for Garten told ABC News. "She looks forward to inviting him to spend some time with her at the Food Network studios."

The boy, Enzo, is suffering from acute lymphoblastic leukemia and reached out to Garten through the Make-a-Wish Foundation for the first time last year, asking for the celebrity chef to take time to cook with him.

His request fell upon deaf ears, however. Garten's rep told TMZ, "As much as [Garten] would like to, it's absolutely impossible for her to grant every request she receives."

The little boy, who specifically requested to meet Garten because he had watched her show while sick in bed, made a second request through Make-a-Wish, which was met with a "definite no."

Enzo, who asked his parents, "Why doesn't she want to meet me?" ultimately chose another wish. The brave little boy is currently taking lessons to prepare for his new dream: to swim with dolphins.

Make-a-Wish issued a statement regarding Garten's refusal of Enzo's request, writing, "From time to time, planning for wishes doesn't turn out as originally envisioned, despite people's best intentions and efforts throughout the wish-granting process."

However, it appears Enzo's original wish will come true after all.

Cynthia

All this talk of 'Karma' . .. you people make me ASHAMED. You are all so quick to condemn and write-off poor Ina when the whole 'Make a wish' thing was not even REAL for gosh sake. I hope Ina doesn't accidentally get to this site and see all the hateful and unfair comments that all you jealous haters are so quick to publish. Ina is a sweet, kind, caring and very BUSY person who had no idea this was even going on until it had 'hit the fan'. She of all people does NOT deserve to be treated in such a mean-spirited fashion. If we can ever get her to come to Joplin, Missouri we will show her TRUE hospitality, respect for her talents, but also respect for her privacy and the need to have time to herself. Watching her show kept my friends and me going after the terrible tornado in 2011 destroyed our city and our lives. Ina has more class and talent and graciousness in her little finger than ANY of you miserable people will ever even dream of having!

June 22 2012 at 1:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lism8@aol.com

God is watching you Ina. What goes aound comes around

April 12 2011 at 6:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Lism8@aol.com's comment
Cynthia

. . . and God is watching YOU Lis, and noticing how quick you are to hate, judge and condemn, hope you enjoy your hot little corner in hell . . . I can assure you that Ina will have a prominent position at the OTHER place!

June 22 2012 at 1:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robin Estes

It's about time Bitch! I'm still never going to watch your show again. Heartless!!

April 12 2011 at 5:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rustrac

Ina is a loser.

April 04 2011 at 2:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
thegrrrr8est

Get a clue. The odds that Ina ever even heard of the boy until the uproar are slim. That's what TV personalities have people for...to weed through the endless demands on their time. As for the boy's plaintive "why doesn't she want to meet me" -- what a lot of drama. I get it that he's dying. I get it that it's tragic. But it just seems to me that playing the dying-child's-last-wish card in public is pretty cheap and tawdry.

April 04 2011 at 1:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to thegrrrr8est's comment
jil9457

My answer to that is she should have better people working for her. The chld was rejected twice and I for one believe she knew exactly what was going on.

April 18 2011 at 5:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
God Bless

HAVE LOVED HER SHOW WON,T BE WATCHING ANYMORE don,t like mean , arrogant people who think they are above others and thats how she has come across SHAME ON YOU

April 04 2011 at 8:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
zany

Ok a little bit late..seriously why? 1x I understand.scheduling but the 2nd time? you are lucky he is still alive to grant his wish...what if he died waiting for you? you just ruined and dashed the last request..a dying persons last request/ dream..one so easily in life..you tanted that poor childs world (what's left of it). I would refuse to even acknowledge you saying OK. I am sorry he had to pick another wish you are not worth the snobishness you gave him. You are no better than most thugs on the street (they even have some morals compared to you). Compassion for your fellow man isn't your strong point HUH? Wait till your old and need help to just toilet see how much your caretakers have compassion towards you (dr, nurse, aide, etc) your money will not buy it for you

April 03 2011 at 12:55 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Marcia

While I'm sure that the BFC cannot honor all requests, it seems fairly simple to honor a request from the Make a Wish Foundation and allow one small child to spend an hour or two her. I have often watched her show - but no more. It's over for me. What an arrogant snob.

April 02 2011 at 8:09 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
Katt

i'm totally disgusted by ina's refusal to cook one bloody meal for a dying child.she's made plenty of money off of her show and from the sales of her cook books.i used to watch her show,keyword being used to.Im sickened that she couldnt spare the time...one meal!!!!!!!!..that poor little boy's one wish was so simple and sweet.breaks my heart to think he was disappointed on such a simple request.....BAD FORM INA...karma will deff have it's eye out for you..i will NEVER watch her shows again,and i will tell everyone i know about what a heartless self centered witch that woman is.and i hope that when her hour of need arises...shes left hanging

April 02 2011 at 10:08 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
Barbara

While I hope the BC's handlers simply made a major blunder, I can't help but believe that she closed the barn door after the horses have already left. I find it difficult to watch her show since. If this was an honest mistake by her handlers then she needs to make a public statement to clear her name. Otherwise we can all look forward to finding her merchandise in the dollar bin at the local Walmart.

April 02 2011 at 9:01 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply