October 25, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Jose Canseco Plays Gay for Team Backbone Commercial on 'Celebrity Apprentice' (VIDEO)

by Jason Hughes, posted Mar 28th 2011 12:55AM
Jose Canseco, 'Celebrity Apprentice'Team Backbone went with a more "risqué message," according to Mark McGrath for their video phone commercial on 'Celebrity Apprentice' (Sun., 9PM ET on NBC), they spotlighted a gay couple. And to fill out the spot, they cast José Canseco as Pablo, one half of the couple.

"José Canseco is one good-looking fellow," Richard Hatch said of their choice. "Holy cow!"

Canseco committed fully to the role, coming into the scene with a huge smile for his partner and the camera. After they stopped the cameras, however, his team erupted in laughter.

While he clearly had fun doing the commercial, Canseco knew he was in for some ribbing from his friends and family. "If my father sees this," he said. "He's gonna basically kill me."

Watch the full episode here:

orion

Bad PR for The U.S. Most of the leading nations have accepted gay marriage and enacted gay rights and America still puts gay jokes on TV. "My dad will kill me, my friends will make fun of me?" You mean that didn't happen already when you slapped a girl around, Hose? Time to flood his twitter I think...along with Trumps... are blacks a laughing matter? How funny would 'Jose goes black' be? That would probably not make it to TV.. and would he be made fun of or killed by his dad for that? Bad PR for the U.S.

April 04 2011 at 11:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
glenrickerknight

Jose Canseco "playing" the Gay Fiancee? Maybe it is more appropriate then you think, since his reputation of beating women would explain the mind set behind his actions. He is violent due to the fact he has to conform to societies view of athletics and the sexuality. The "You Gay, No Play" sports mentality can be crippling for the Home Run Homo. NOTE: his High School in Miami named the street in front if the school after Jose, until he was continually being brought up on charges of beating his wife/girlfriends - not the best role model of manhood, nor one to be commemorated.

March 28 2011 at 4:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vickila12

I loved it; it was a brilliant commercial and not at all offensive...very cute and well done.

Dionne is truly one mean and vicious woman and they should have fired her after the first show. Nene is so low class and tasteless and it is a sad commentary on television when this is the best Donald Trump has to offer for his show. The celebrity artists he has been getting are getting more sad and pathetic and the standards lower and lower. Don, my man, you'd better step it up if you are going to have this show be first class; you are losing it with some of the recent choices. Who is this Hope anyway? Duh.

March 28 2011 at 3:58 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Paul

The only people being made fun of or insensitive to were OLD PEOPLE! man if I look like Gary Bussey when I get that old, then have Jose's father come and kick my butt.

March 28 2011 at 3:45 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
John

Wow. Would Jose's dad really "kill" him, even metaphorically, for coming out gay or bi?
After all that he has achieved, after all the reasons a dad could be proud of him? I hope not. Very sad.
Homophobia, particularly on the part of parents, is a leading cause of teen suicide. I have to agree with roofoverdenver: An ad about gay people is not "risque,"
Time for America to grow up about this of thing!

March 28 2011 at 2:38 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to John's comment
bone5001

No dad whants a queer son!!!!!!!!!!

March 28 2011 at 3:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to bone5001's comment
jada1919

Get a life. Not everyone is homophobic.

April 03 2011 at 10:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down
dbqlady

armido i don't think jose is really gay he was just playing one

March 28 2011 at 1:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tina's

I think ACN chose in poor taste. The women had a heartfelt ad. The men's was a mockery and something that I don't think I would want my grandchildren to see. I have gay friends and love them. But I don't think this needs to be exploited in an ad when there is so much controversy about it. I have ACN as my phone provider; but not for long.

March 28 2011 at 1:16 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
Clairovoyant

That was a "genious idea" as "pitches and risky" ads usually get attention [the chances that it could have backfired was one Lil' Jon was willing to take...it worked.

As for the women's team, Dionne can be mean as a snake and too slow at times; she got what she deserved.....a good booting out.

As for that "low class" guetto, cut throat, blonde sloppy hairstyle, hard on the eyes loud NeNe; who does this no talent, celebrity "wanna be" think she is to say LaToya Jackson can't tell time better than her eleven year old. The Jacksons were selling out Stadium around the world when NeNe was STILL collecting Food Stamps and that still was not enough as her BEHIND is as wide as a 5 lane highway.

March 28 2011 at 1:07 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Clairovoyant's comment
Gammy

Clairovoyant, there are ways of getting your points across without being rude and mean. Take a look at yourself in the mirror. Are you proud of what you see?

March 28 2011 at 1:16 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
roofoverdenver

An ad about gay people is not "risque," dumbasses.

March 28 2011 at 1:04 PM Report abuse +5 rate up rate down Reply
skifmly4

They made a mockery out of the product. They are a bunch of egotistical men on that team, especially Lil Jon! By the way those sunglasses have got to go!!!!

March 28 2011 at 12:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply