September 21, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

The 'Secret Millionaire' Watches a Man Give the Shoes Off His Feet to Another (VIDEO)

by Jason Hughes, posted Mar 28th 2011 3:38AM
John Ferber & Amin, 'Secret Millionaire''Secret Millionaire' (Sun., 8PM ET on ABC) may be about people with a lot of money reaching out and touching lives, but the bigger draw is often those people and organizations who don't have much at all reaching out anyway.

This week's millionaire was John Ferber, a successful internet advertiser. He spent a week in Los Angeles's Skid Row. Though he had a modest place to sleep, he did spend many of his days on the streets with the homeless.

On those streets, he met Amin, a man who spends his own time giving to those around him. While Ferber was shadowing him, they saw a man walking by wearing shoes that were absolutely covered with excrement. Without a moment's hesitation, Amin took off his own shoes and gave them to the man.

"I was like blown away," Ferber said. To Amin, he said, "That was amazing. Thank you for sharing this experience with me, man."

Later, when he revealed the truth of who he was and how much money he had, he came with a check for $25,000 for Amin to use in his Ariana boutique mission and other works. Ferber further assisted Amin's mission to hand out needed goods to the homeless by donating 200 sleeping bags for Amin to give away.

Watch the full episode here:

Erma JeanB

Of course I had to cry as I watched this. I was permitted to go with a group one time to this very place on skidrow to feed them. It made an impact on me. God bless John for what he did for all these people. Truly this is what Jesus taught. He said that when we do things for someone else it is as if we are doing for Him.

March 29 2011 at 2:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
angelmecss

Hmmm.. Shoes is the best you can do being a millionaire.. Well I guess it's the thought that counts..

March 28 2011 at 5:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to angelmecss's comment
oxlilhunxo

if you actually payed attention u would have noticed that it wasnt the millionaire who gave the shoes off his feet..........

April 03 2011 at 9:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mechanicgdr

That is a lot of money, the man that gave the money also pays gift tax on it. It is people with money that keep your local programs going. When I read how ungrateful some of you posters are it makes me sick. The guy did a good thing is going to go go back home and start something locally to help people. The people in the story are asking for a hand up, not a hand out. Every little bit people do helps.

March 28 2011 at 3:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jackie

I really enjoy watching this show my bestfriend started me to watching it about 2 weeks ago.

March 28 2011 at 2:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Irys Sones

Generosity appreciated. But, a mere 25,000 from a millionaire is nothing. However, the shoes off one's feet is something else! And hopefully, the $$$$$ were put to the best possible use. I have heard, "I would give the shirt off my back" to do so and so, but never the shoes off my feet.

March 28 2011 at 2:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lilly

This is awesome. When Amin gave those shoes I knew right then he was honest about who and what he was about. He really cared about individuals. I totall admire the fact the most admit their personal attitudes when they start out their week and vulnerability to admit what they see makes them realize them. Then to see the clips at the end where they actually follow up, like he did to help Amin see his desire come to fruition or organization. These people they help are not uneducated people in the sense of the concepts they bring to help people. They don't have the mentors or ability to get started, or understand the "red tape issues" they face. They know the dreams and possibilities of what they can do, and do, on meager amounts.

I totally understood and appreciated the fact that when they find places they look beneath the surface to find the individuals who are receiving and their stories. This week I understood his honesty and seeing the possibilities the grandfather had for his streetball group. This was not a place with a bldg., people coming and going the same way the other entities did. BUT he was willing not to dismiss them but to look further, below the surface, actually talk and spend time with people who did not look or act like the other groups we have seen.

That was one of the individual gifts and his sensitivity to desires of people wanting to make a difference when they know it basically will be in a small amount of people. He was honest, as all of them have been, in wanting to make the best use of the money, but for this one group I was even more impressed because 99% of people would have walked on by - they didn't look like a group sincerely doing something constructive on the surface, he knew he needed integrity in his giving. I love all of the shows and have not missed one but this was by far the one I saw real acts of kindness by those he was talking to undercover who had no reason to do what they did. They did it honestly, with no ulterior motives to think they would get anything, no guile at all.

March 28 2011 at 2:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hi Art & Nan

I love this show. It's about time the rich get their noses out of the stratosphere and come down off their mountains to see how the rest of us live!

March 28 2011 at 2:34 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
abudotcom

Great Show....

March 28 2011 at 1:26 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
jeanieb37

Giving the shoes off his feet was the most beautiful act of kindness. Now that's love for your fellow man.

March 28 2011 at 1:01 PM Report abuse +5 rate up rate down Reply