April 21, 2014

'The Amazing Race: Unfinished Business' Season 18, Episode 6 Recap

by Jackie Schnoop, posted Mar 28th 2011 6:10AM
The 'Amazing Race' teams race through India.['The Amazing Race: Unfinished Business' - 'I Feel Like a Monkey in a Circus Parade (Kolkata, India)']

Perhaps Ron and Christina felt comfortable in China, but no team ever feels familiar with the hustle and bustle of Kolkata, India. The entire city is always a sensory overload, as well as a population overload, when the teams from 'The Amazing Race' run through it.

The chaos of traffic and people make midtown Manhattan at rush hour look almost rural. If China was a culture shock for the teams, India was going to be a culture explosion. How did the teams fare? Read on.

Even though Ron and Christina liked being in China, the same couldn't be said for other teams. Margie/Luke and Jen/Kisha have bad memories of the country from their last experience on the show. The Globetrotters aren't too keen on it, either. Even Zev grumbled about it! Since they haven't really explored the culture of the nation, I was ready for them to leave, too.

One last task in China had them doing a traditional Chinese tea-tasting to get their clue. Little did we (or they) know, that the papaya-mango concoction would play a huge role in the upcoming leg. After they tasted the tea and got their brick of tea to carry with them, it was off to India.

All teams took the same flight to Kolkata and, later on, there was a huge bunching point for a 10AM park opening. Although sometimes it seems like the bunching is too much, nights like tonight put all of the teams on an even start. A simple case of bad luck, bad effort, or bad taxi drivers can often mean Philimination instead of one team being so woefully behind that there's no way they can catch up.

Already the show seemed to be exposing more of India (or, at least Kolkata) than it did of China. The cacophony and chaos of the city streets, the craziness of the cabbies and the absolutely immense amount of people was almost staggering to the mind. But the teams had tasks to do and a race to win. They had to endure!

"Remember the tea!" should have been their battle cry as they faced up to the Roadblock. Yep, they had to pick out the papaya-mango tea from a gazillion cups of tea. Surprisingly, Zev -- in his silver pajamas -- did the Roadblock. He's already said that Justin was going to do the food stuff as he's not good at it.

(Oh, and we can insert mega-product placement here for the good friends at Snapple. The next clue was inside a bottle cap of the beverage and the winning team were the first to sample the show--Snapple tie-in iced tea.)

When it got down to Luke, Flight Time and Zev in the tea tasting, I got a bit antsy. Evil person that I am, I hoped Luke would break down in frustration because I enjoy watching the other two teams on the show more. My secret powers worked -- Zev and then Flight Time got through it and Luke cracked under pressure.

But I found it very touching how much the locals were affected by Luke's frustration. They applauded when he finally had the correct tea and rejoiced. They even hugged him and picked him up off the ground! How cool was that? The locals in India always seem so into 'The Amazing Race'!

Unlike China, both of the tasks in the Detour were culturally related to the people -- painting and adorning a Hindu goddess, or delivering schoolbooks in a rickshaw. Offhand, delivering the books seemed like the easier task, but most teams chose the Hindu goddess.

While Kent and Vyxsin were definitely suited to paint a pink elephant trimmed with black and gold, the Globetrotters not so much. As a matter of fact, between the poor tea choosing and spilling paint (Flight Time, argh!), it could have cost them the race! Thankfully it didn't. It was Margie and a hysterical Luke who went down.

Gary and Mallory made it to the Pit Stop first, winning what might be the largest prize ever for winning a leg -- one million rupees. No, not a million dollars. But, it works out to about $22,000. Not bad, compared to the usual $5,000 each for a cash prize. And they had their official first tasting of the Snapple papaya-mango special edition tea! Give me the rupees and a coffee, please.

Is your favorite team still in it? Who do you want out next? And, more importantly ... will you be running out to buy the tea? Tell us in comments!

'The Amazing Race: Unfinished Business' airs Sundays, 8PM ET on CBS.

Laurie

Whew! What a hornet's nest this turned out to be. I know Jackie personally and I know she is not mean-spirited or prejudice or insensitive as some people took her to be. Luke is a grown man. By this age he should have been exposed to all kinds of frustrating situations. This isn't about him being deaf. It's about him melting down with frustration so easily. It was sad to see the melting down and it was also entertaining. That's why they put it on the air. That's why we watch the show. Both seasons we have seen him, he has acted very immature and his mother has encouraged his dependence on her. He's deaf. Get over it. He didn't need to hear to do the challenge. He needed to calm down and pay attention to what he was doing. Of course, it's just my opinion. I'd like to see Ron and Christina go next. Not because Ron is older, but because I can't abide the way he talks to his daughter. Don't hate ... just enjoy the show for what you get out of it!

March 30 2011 at 10:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jwdenforcement

hi. please leave jackie alone, i am deaf and have follow her blog on here and on her other one as well and she has never been one to speak ill of some one and never had a bad word for their disability toward a person. but i do have to amitted that even i do not like how luke act or his behavior toward things. i do agree in some ways as most have said here that he is sheltor or need to be more mature and grow up and not act like that when a challance come along. i also agree with the comment from joyce n about how luke has play act and how he is. she is right that he will need to one day learn how to live in a real world and not have it handed to him.
i am lucky as i learn how to over come having no hearing and live most of my life alone so i wish he will some how learn that way too. as he so embrasses alot of us deaf people and make some's think that how we all act when something hard come along.

March 29 2011 at 12:00 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jwdenforcement's comment
Jackie Schnoop

Thanks. If he wasn't so immature, I'd definitely be cheering him on. I've known quite a few deaf folks over my lifetime. Although my signing is horrible (my fault), not a one who I've been lucky enough to have in my life would have acted like him when things didn't go right. I know a 20-year-old deaf girl who could do fantastic in the race's challenges!

I know I couldn't have drank the tea, though. He drank more than I ever could.

March 29 2011 at 12:20 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Dan

go go Kynt and Vyxsin !!!!!

March 28 2011 at 11:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
theyellowtruck

Hey, this is a race. We can all--Jackie included--cheer for or against whatever teams we want.

I'm sure people pick their favorites for a lot of different reasons. And I'm equally sure that the vast majority of people would never cheer against a team just because a team member has a physical disability. But on the other hand, I don't think you should be probhibited form cheering against a team just because of a physical disabiltiy either.

I root for the teams I enjoy watching, based on their behaviors and personality. I like teams who don't belittle and blame each other, who don't whine and pout, who can find humor in stressful situations, who are kind to the other teams, who are considerate toward the native civilians they encournter, who appreciate the different cultures. That meant I was rooting for Zev and Flight Time at the end of the tea-tasting challenge, because I like their team approaches and behaviors. I was not rooting for Luke,, because I didn't enjoy watching his immature behavior and approach.

March 28 2011 at 7:55 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
pookielhs

Im soooo happy M/L are gone! So tired of Luke's cry-baby antics! Drinking tea is sooo hard! Grow up! You are on a reality show! If drinking tea makes your cry, you are not cut out for TAR!

March 28 2011 at 7:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joyce Nicodemus

It's ridiculous to think that Jackie was making any reference to Luke's deafness in her statement about his frustration. If, after watching both seasons with Luke, you don't see that his frustration is a regular event with him, then you need to watch again. Marge is the culprit in my eyes. She needs to learn to let him fall and pick himself up when things don't go his way. He acts like a frustrated child and he is obviously not a child. Marge won't always be there to hold and console him and she's doing him no favors with her over-protectiveness. Yes, they have a loving relationship but allowing him to grow up and accept that life can be tough would serve him immensely in the future.

Jet and Cord/Zev and Justin are my faves and I'm glad to see that Kent and Vyxsin got their act back together this week.

March 28 2011 at 3:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
zzcnn001

----------- ( http://zzcnn.com ) ---------

March 28 2011 at 3:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
General Kenobi

Are you people insane? She wasn't taking glee in his misfortunes, per se, she wasn't thrilled that he is deaf... he's an immature little twit who, along with his mother, has cloistered him into his own world. In his first season it was specifically revealed that Luke doesn't even bother to ty to learn to read lips. He and his mom are very content for him to remain closed off from everyone else... shocker, then, that this undeveloped social personality has trouble when trouble presents itself. He doesn't have the socialization to be able to suck it up. It wasn't just this task. He's broken down at least 3 times this season, and that's kudos to him, in that it was about twice as good as his first outing.

If another racer had a penchant for being a douchebag and ran into a challenging task, would Jackie have been wrong to hope that the previously displayed douchery popped up again and bit him? So, why was she wrong and so malicious for hoping that the little boy who cries at the drop of a hat would crumble? She wasn't saying "I hope he goes blind, too." So what the hell are you guys talking about?

It's not that Jackie dislikes him because he's deaf. She dislikes him, presumably, because he's an annoying, childish, tantrum thrower.

Me? I didn't like him because he was deaf.

I kid.

btw, am I the only one who misses Bombay and Calcutta?

March 28 2011 at 2:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to General Kenobi's comment
Jackie Schnoop

I think I auto-typed "Calcutta" each time and had to fix before submitting. Meanwhile, a friend of mine originally from India was going home for a visit. I asked him where in India. "Bombay." And he's from there!

March 28 2011 at 5:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jana

I don't know anyone who is hearing impaired, but I can't imagine the frustration that Luke was going through. The others had their teammates giving them constant reassurances throughout the challenge. Luke lives in a world of silence, and had to watch others succeed where he was failing. I do think he is very emotional, but isn't that what women are wanting in men now - more emotionally available?? Why is there double standards? I thought he showed true strength in continuing the challenge after watching everyone else go, and knowing they would probably lose anyway. I love tea, that's all I drink, but I can't imagine tasting that much tea and not being sick. Also, with all the other smells, it was probably very hard, shown by the fact that the other teams struggled as well. To take such glee in Luke's failure, show's the reviewers prejudice, ignorance and just plain meaness! I'm used to better from Jackie.

March 28 2011 at 1:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
manhands

I don't understand why the tea road block was so difficult. Did they have to drink all of the tea in the cup before they could submit it is a choice? Is that why Flight Time seemed to miss his mouth and pour it down his shirt when he was drinking the tea?

March 28 2011 at 10:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to manhands's comment
nivo

i dont think they have to finish the entire cup...the main idea is tea tasting...which i think not require you to actually drink the whole cup..notice how some of them just drink a bit and head to the tea master....IF they really have to drink each tea..then it could prove to be quite a challenge..since tea doesnt really have that much difference other than smell...provide we have good smell sense...this remind me of the chinese buffet challenge from last season where they have to find the fake one out of many of real one...and each pick require them to eat the entire food...now thats frustating....unless u have some sort of sharp eye....nevertheless this tea-challenge seems still not that hard...

March 29 2011 at 3:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply